Mystery Disc 1

Printable View

  • 03-16-2006, 05:19 AM
    Mike
    Mystery Disc 1
    So I played the game kept the disc well away from a pc and played it pretty much non stop in the car for the last couple of days and gotten to know it quite well. First off Iím left wondering did you select each disc with the recipient in mind, for me itís a perfect blend of rock/pop/electronica.

    Tracks 1-3 have an early 90ís Britpop Charlatans dense sound with looped drums and guitars but then it mellows out and up pops track 5 with a Kraftwerk type 70ís synth intro sound and you start to realise this album is all over the place. Track 6 carries on the Germanic feel with some over processed vocals and then the final track comes and hey itís our old friends the Neon Golden a sublime closing track complete with soft vocals, acoustic and whammy guitars which I find myself playing over and over.

    This is a very nice album Dave, nicely produced and plenty going on in the mix, me likey a lot. Only problem is itís way too short, but then again as my wife says itís quality not quantity.

    Cheers
    Mike
  • 03-16-2006, 05:23 AM
    Mike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mike
    So I played the game....

    ps Spotted who it was (HR say no more) have to check out some of their earlier stuff.

    Cheers
    Mike
  • 03-16-2006, 07:27 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mike
    This is a very nice album Dave, nicely produced and plenty going on in the mix, me likey a lot. Only problem is itís way too short, but then again as my wife says itís quality not quantity.

    You don't need me to tell you, but you're obviously a man with fine taste in both music and ladies. Thanks for playing and cheers back to you :smilewinkgrin:
  • 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM
    Slosh
    I think the album could be called something like The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Porcupine Tree, only except substitute Steve Wilson's guitar wankery for some electronica cues and a smattering of femal vox. I know who it is also but I didn't cheat. Just put 2 + 2 together (yeah, and I know this band has absolutely nothing to do with Porky Tree but that doesn't keep them from still sounding kind of similar). Don't have time to do a proper review just now but I think I'll give it a week or so so others get a chance to absorb it.

    NP: Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway
  • 03-16-2006, 11:19 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    I like this album so much, I went out and bought it before I even knew what it was.
  • 03-17-2006, 06:17 AM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    Wow! I got the motherlode. 3-mystery discs plus something called "New Disguise". I guess I got my work cut out for me. More to come later.
  • 03-17-2006, 07:30 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mike
    First off Iím left wondering did you select each disc with the recipient in mind, for me itís a perfect blend of rock/pop/electronica.

    The #1 Mystery went to everybody that signed up, except for one person as I mentioned in the Tuesday thread. I picked two other recent discs for the mystery treatment as well, and sent one or both or something else completely different to most people, depending on what I thought they might like, or what I knew they already had, or random rules, or whatever. Hopefully everybody got something they like. I threw one of my recent comps in most packages too, but it's probably a mixed bag for most since it was just based on a few recent spins around my house, and things can get a little weird around my house ;)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slosh
    I think the album could be called something like The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Porcupine Tree...

    Won't argue that. They do remind me of the Notwist some as Mike said, and Kraftwerk, and hints of the Bowie/Eno collabs.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I like this album so much, I went out and bought it before I even knew what it was.

    No idea what this means, but glad to hear it anyway :)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Wow! I got the motherlode. 3-mystery discs plus something called "New Disguise".

    Guess I musta had a few leftovers, eh? You know how I hate to throw anything out ;)
  • 03-17-2006, 01:04 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Davey
    No idea what this means, but glad to hear it anyway

    Dam, I was hoping you could tell me. I'm guessing it's a positive thing...