Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

The Conet Project

Whoa. So I'd read about The Conet Project when it was first released.
    http://www.irdial.com/conet.htm
    This has got to be one of the most bizairrely interesting listens I had for a while. You'd really have to read the link to get the full story. Tersely put, this guy recorded 'Numbers Stations' off shortwave radio broadcasts. These are broadcasts where secret codes are transmitted via shortwave. This is happening now around us. He kept records of times, etc and then published it as a 4-CD set of his recordings. Some of you may remember that Wilco was sued over the album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for sampling The Conet Project. The sample is where the name of the album was derived from.

Anyway. I didn't buy the album but found it available for download in mp3 from www.archive.org. It's my understanding that this site operates fairly with public domain recordings.

I'd have to describe it as an eerily pleasant background sound. The hypnotic sound of espionage and mystery. The soothing sounds of the cold war that hasn't ended...
    If anyone is interested go here for download options.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I can't remember where I found the link, but there was a great audio clip that I heard that talked about numbers stations and used clips from his CD. The whole idea of these codes and secrets just fascinates me.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I can't remember where I found the link, but there was a great audio clip that I heard that talked about numbers stations and used clips from his CD. The whole idea of these codes and secrets just fascinates me.
    This one?
    NPR Clip

also I found this exerpt from Wired regarding legality of downloading The Conet Project
    "Irdial has made its spycast captures, and the rest of its catalog, available for people to download and share. But making money from the works, without the company's permission, is restricted.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 01-20-2007 at 05:09 AM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    This one?
    NPR Clip

also I found this exerpt from Wired regarding legality of downloading The Conet Project
    "Irdial has made its spycast captures, and the rest of its catalog, available for people to download and share. But making money from the works, without the company's permission, is restricted.
    Yes that's the one. Thanks for the links. I can see that I'm going to be spending some time listening to these files.

Great...just what I need...another obsession.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Bizarre in kind of a cool way, and yet vaguely disturbing in its implications.

Thanks noddin', I think...

Thread Information