My Morning Jacket

Speaking of crappy band names

I find that I enjoy this Davey rec

reminds me of Chizel in a way...with less distortion.

Very musical and interesting, using a mix of protopunk guitar with atmospheric reverb and vocal harmonic flourishes like Mercury Rev or Flaming Lips, without those bands' penchant for overt quirkiness.

They even explore '70ish adult rock using mixes of acoustic strumming, slide electric guitars and keyboard ala Gerry Rafferty in a song like Knot Comes Loose, which is almost reminescent of what used to be termed 'progressive country'.

But otherwise its not modern indie this band emulates, but more the late '80s or early '90s band like the Pixies or Teenage Fanclub.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 06-16-2006 at 07:11 PM.

You wanna see something fun, check out their performance on Letterman last Thursday backed up by some of the Boston Pops, performing "Gideon". Amazing. Dave even made their name sound cool in the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXEHOS6p2o8

I saw them open for Pearl Jam a bunch of times last month and I thought they were decent. I'm going to try and find some shows on BT later.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    You wanna see something fun, check out their performance on Letterman last Thursday backed up by some of the Boston Pops, performing "Gideon". Amazing. Dave even made their name sound cool in the intro

That's good stuff. Does he scream like that on the album? I was really enjoying it until that point, then it lost me...but gained me back again when I realized how good the music behind the scream was.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's good stuff. Does he scream like that on the album? I was really enjoying it until that point, then it lost me...but gained me back again when I realized how good the music behind the scream was.
    I love the scream! He really lets go on that performance. It's really only the first couple seconds where it breaks into a scream, after that it comes more under control like on the album. On the album version, the strings are by our mutual fave Andrew Bird, who contributes his violin (and other stringed instruments) and whistling skills on a few songs. Those Boston Pops players really made it a striking performance on Letterman. Fun seeing everyone in tuxes, especially when they really get rocking!

Bad scream.

I stand by my opinion that rock bands look ridiculous backed by orchestras.

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey

Thanks for the link. Hey, it's the new The Who!

Sounded great. Have they done a rock opera yet? Can't be long now, if they're working with an orchestra.

I think they look good in tuxes.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Thanks for the link. Hey, it's the new The Who!

Sounded great. Have they done a rock opera yet? Can't be long now, if they're working with an orchestra.

I think they look good in tuxes.
    Good call! The first time I heard MMJ, thanks do Davey, it was The Who that most quickly and lastingly came to mind. I like the performance, but it hangs up before halfway through so I haven't seen/heard the scream yet.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I like the scream, as well as the rest of the song. As well as it being done by slightly overweight guys with beards in tuxes. "Fuzzy penguins".
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Mmj

What an outstanding performance, makes the album version sound a bit lightweight now. As for the scream at least he's in tune - most of the time, thanks for the link

Cheers
    Mike

Thread Information