My first "new" vinyl purchase in almost 20 years

I've been doing reasonably well scrounging thrifts and used stores but I finally found something worthy of buying brand new on vinyl: The first 5 Ramones records on 180g virgin pressed vinyl. Not really sure how that differs from my other Ramones albums, but there you have it. Got all five for a measly 60.00. So let's see, I have those albums on CD, Digitally remastered CD, LP, and now 'audiophile' LP. Maybe it wasn't my smartest move, but it'll be fun.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Cool! You can't have fun and be smart at the same time, can you?

I just received a package of vinyl from Music Direct. Unfortunately, they sent me an email AFTER I ordered saying that half my order was on back order. I thought the page for each selection on their website was supposed to tell you whether the selection was available. I think I'm going to try Acoustic Sounds next time.

Forum Regular
    So you've gone back to vinyl JC nice one. I can't imagine going back to vinyl myself all that worry about pops and clicks and rumble, checking alignment of the cartridge, worrying about upgrades not to mention storing the damm things but each to his own. I was always one to play odd tracks rather than the whole albums so CD's suit me fine.

I recently picked up the remastered Too Tough To Die Ramones on CD after someone round here talked about it, saw it cheap couldn't resist it, sounds great not vintage Ramones but I've already got some of their other stuff.

Also just recently picked up the last Junior Boys album So This Is Goodbye, it's been out a while but just never got around to buying it before, but I'm glad I did much better than their debut which was none too shabby.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    So you've gone back to vinyl JC nice one. I can't imagine going back to vinyl myself all that worry about pops and clicks and rumble, checking alignment of the cartridge, worrying about upgrades not to mention storing the damm things but each to his own. I was always one to play odd tracks rather than the whole albums so CD's suit me fine.

I recently picked up the remastered Too Tough To Die Ramones on CD after someone round here talked about it, saw it cheap couldn't resist it, sounds great not vintage Ramones but I've already got some of their other stuff.

Also just recently picked up the last Junior Boys album So This Is Goodbye, it's been out a while but just never got around to buying it before, but I'm glad I did much better than their debut which was none too shabby.

Cheers
    Mike
    You know, I'm old enough (like many of you!) to have grown up with vinyl. Back then we just bought turntables or they were attached to some crappy stereo and we played them. I had never even heard of tracking force or cartridge alignment. Never had a zerostat and forget about discwashers. We just played records and everything seemed just fine to us. Now that I'm an, ahem, audiophile, all this crap just seems to cloud the picture. So in some respects I can see your point.

On the other hand in the past couple of months I've added 3 tt's and busted out boxes of old records and I've been having a blast. This Kenwood KD-770D is gorgeous and great sounding even with less than ideal set up. It's hooked up to an old Yamaha prologic receiver and even cranked there is absolutely no noise what so ever. Just played an almost perfect copy of Echo & The Bunnymen's S/T record. I'd dare anyone to find one pop or one click on the entire record. It ain't there. When I get everything the way I want it I'll post my thoughts on the setups. I have some very definite theories, most relating more to the types of music one listens to. In short, I don't think vinyl is essential for me.

Now I'll admit that the cost is adding up, quickly. Still, it's been a whole lot of fun.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    You know, I'm old enough (like many of you!) to have grown up with vinyl. Back then we just bought turntables or they were attached to some crappy stereo and we played them. I had never even heard of tracking force or cartridge alignment. Never had a zerostat and forget about discwashers. We just played records and everything seemed just fine to us. Now that I'm an, ahem, audiophile, all this crap just seems to cloud the picture. So in some respects I can see your point.

On the other hand in the past couple of months I've added 3 tt's and busted out boxes of old records and I've been having a blast. This Kenwood KD-770D is gorgeous and great sounding even with less than ideal set up. It's hooked up to an old Yamaha prologic receiver and even cranked there is absolutely no noise what so ever. Just played an almost perfect copy of Echo & The Bunnymen's S/T record. I'd dare anyone to find one pop or one click on the entire record. It ain't there. When I get everything the way I want it I'll post my thoughts on the setups. I have some very definite theories, most relating more to the types of music one listens to. In short, I don't think vinyl is essential for me.

Now I'll admit that the cost is adding up, quickly. Still, it's been a whole lot of fun.

Regards,
    jc
    Sounds like you're having fun! I don't buy much new vinyl but I do buy a fair amount of thrift store LP's plus the occasional Ebay find. Sure, there's stuff that is in horrible shape and can't even be cleaned into usable condition but I'm also amazed at how clean a lot of it is. I just bought the double LP Rare Earth live disc and Ornette Coleman's "Crisis" off Ebay - both LP's are over 20 years old - and cannot find a single pop, click or piece of static. I have LP's that are from the 1950's that sound near mint. It's definitely been fun.

That said, I listen mostly to CD's these days. I find them better than acceptable and even excellent on occasion.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

I hope everyone's day is going as great as mine. It's 70 degrees, sunny, and beautiful on every level.

Went out to check a couple of different thrifts. Everything looked like it had been chewed, except a 12 inch copy of "We Are The World". Odd since I was having a discussion on the Vinyl Asylum with Mary just the past couple of days concerning this very cut. VG++ condition and worth a buck.

The biggest finds was at a regular music store I've never been to in a scary part of town. The advertised that they buy vinyl on signage out front so I went in. Not much to interest me -except- I found a brand new copy of Radio 4 and Strokes newest releases. Both were marked 4.97! Odd pricing scheme there but with finds like that, I'll check back once a month.

Awesome day so far. I hope your's is even better.

jc

Back then we just bought turntables or they were attached to some crappy stereo and we played them. I had never even heard of tracking force or cartridge alignment. Never had a zerostat and forget about discwashers.

BabyBoomers are the reason why i find great titles at stores, thanks guys BUT. The problem is exactly what you said. Since you those guys took such a shjtty care of it, it's not worth playing sometimes.
    One time I found a copy of Paul Chamber's Whims of Chamber. My heart stopped for about 2 seconds when I saw it. I even saw the price tag of $50. That didnt phase me at all until I saw the condition....GDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehehehehehehehhee. I thought I would reply cuz I read what you wrote.

What do you think of new LPs? I just dont think they sound good at all for some reason. We all can blame it on stampers/master tapes and what not, but I have this gut feeling that they started using "better" materials that result in different sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

BabyBoomers are the reason why i find great titles at stores, thanks guys BUT. The problem is exactly what you said. Since you those guys took such a shjtty care of it, it's not worth playing sometimes.
    One time I found a copy of Paul Chamber's Whims of Chamber. My heart stopped for about 2 seconds when I saw it. I even saw the price tag of $50. That didnt phase me at all until I saw the condition....GDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehehehehehehehehhee. I thought I would reply cuz I read what you wrote.

What do you think of new LPs? I just dont think they sound good at all for some reason. We all can blame it on stampers/master tapes and what not, but I have this gut feeling that they started using "better" materials that result in different sound.
    Sure, I know what you mean. What some people did to their records is a travesty. I found a '62 Cash record, forget the title but the one with 9 Pound Hammer. Checked it and it was ruined. The guy that owned the shop says to me, "we didn't know any better". I told him the records I bought in the 3'rd grade (Kiss) were in pretty decent shape and I was 7 freaking years old. I still have the majority of the records I bought when I was a kid and I'd play them for anyone and not be embarrased. Honestly I wish I'd not have garage sale'd any of them and yet I think I can survive without the VH, Def Leopard (first album),Ted Nugent and others along that line.

New vinyl, the new Radio 4 sounds pretty good sonic wise. Music wise it's not nearly as good as the first Radio 4,but few records are. I think classical and rock recordings are such different animals that any similarities or comparisons in recording quality are purely coincidental.

Oh, and on a side note - my Dual CS 5000 is FINALLY ready to go. Picked it up last night for repair to an issue that I couldn't fix. Today is the big day and I'm very excited. First though a run through the Northland and 8 thrifts I've never been too. Days off rool!

jc

Looks like the vinyl bug bit hard. What under a month and you've got 2 turntables and just dropped 60 bucks on Ramones reissues?

Glad you're enjoying vinyl. And, considering you're a fan of 80s new wave/synth music, you should be able to find some stuff you like really cheap on vinyl. Seems like the prices on 60/70s and earlier stuff and jazz stuff can get higher, but the 80s stuff is usually dirt cheap. When I go to record shows, I rarely pay over $3 for any of the 80s stuff unless it's hardcore albums which get pricey since there are so few of 'em not completely trashed left out there. Oh...and if you ever have an interest in classical stuff they practically give it away on vinyl.

Let us know how those Ramones albunms sound. My copy of their first one is trasahed and I've been thinking of grabbing the reissue to replace it.

Thread Information