• 07-10-2005, 01:47 PM
    nobody
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Day at the record show...
    Spent about 25 bucks, and came home with what ya see. Any questions or comments?
  • 07-11-2005, 03:01 PM
    Monkey Bones
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody
    Any questions or comments?

What's the one in the upper left corner? Don't think I have any of them except the Mogwai, and I really like it. Did you go with a wishlist, or just impulse buys? Are they in pretty good shape? Looks like the Ghost Dog is a cutout - is that a soundtrack? Most of the print is too small to read on my screen.
  • 07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
    nobody
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    What's the one in the upper left corner? Don't think I have any of them except the Mogwai, and I really like it. Did you go with a wishlist, or just impulse buys? Are they in pretty good shape? Looks like the Ghost Dog is a cutout - is that a soundtrack? Most of the print is too small to read on my screen.

Upper Left corner is the soundtrack from Athens, GA - Inside/Out, featuring REM, Flat Duo Jets, Squalls, Pylon and so on... It's in perfect shape and I think I had to spring 2 bucks for it. I use dto have this back when it came out but it was lost to time, probably traded it for a couple bucks of ra six pack. Anyway, I've been wanting to replace it so was really happy to see it and in such perfect shape as well. Ghost Dog is the movie soundtrack, by RZA, and is a cut out, again perfect shape and only a buck for the 2 LP set. It's pretty good, but unles you're a fan, its not gonna get you playin' it instead of 36 Chambers or anything.

The rundown of what they all are is...

Athens, GA -Inside/Out...Brother Jack McGriff's Greatest Hits...Bounty Killer - Next Millimeum...Milt Jackson - Bags' Groove

Ghost Dog Soundtrack by RZA...Jimmy Smith with Stanley Turrentine - Prayer Meetin'...Chet Atkins - Teen Scene...Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight...The Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon

Mogwai - Young Team...Ray Charles - The Genius Hits the Road...Jimmy Smith - Hobo Flats...Hank Crawford - Mr. Blues

They're all in decent shape. I'll buy with a mind to clean 'em up no matter how dirty but avoid scratches religiously, unless its just something I have to have. So, now that I've cleaned them up, they all play just about perfectly with one slight exception...

The Howlin Wolf was one of those I just had to have. No real scratches, but scuffed up quite a bit. However, considering it is an original first issue on Chess that they had in a bin for 2 bucks, no way I was passing it up. Still, it plays quite well. Distortion in some louder parts that seems like the recording and some light background noise that fades out more often than not. The cover has some water damage, mostly on the back. Overall, you could progably give the vinyl a VG rating now that I cleaned off the gunk and the cover VG-. I don't really know, but its gotta be worth a ton more than the 2 bucks I paid, and I was just glad to get a chance to hear it.

Other highlights so far are the Jimmy Smith with Stanley Turrentine. That's a Blue Note reissue from the 70s, but sounds fantastic and is quiet as a mouse. Excellent music as well. I really like the period where Smith was getting a little funky, but still kept it pretty mellow and jazzy. This one fits that era perfectly.

The Teenagers is simply a great record. It's the 70s stereo reissue, so I could be happier. The guy gave me a cover for the original mono with it since he didn't have the record. I'd have preferred that one, but I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent is a great song as well as Why Do Fools Fall in Love? and a few others on there. If ya like Doo Wop, it's a must have.

Of course, the Ray Charles is fantastic. Those old ray Charles albums are usually polayed to death and noisy, but this one somehow slipped through the cracks and is pretty much mint, it was just missing its inner slip cover. I grab anything by Ray I see cheap as long as its not trashed, always good stuff on anything I've gotten by him.

Overall, lots of great music for less than 2 new CDs. I don't consider any of the bunch duds. I've been pretty broke lately, so my 2005 buys are slim. But, I can't pass up the record show when it comes to town since I can always walk out with a bunch of great stuff for little cash. I wish I was a big 70s rock fan..I'd have really been in heaven there. Finding the Mogwai was a shock since I rarely see new stuff and when I do, its always priced close to what I'd pay in a store anyway.

Oh yeah...I never have a wish list at these things. I just browse the discount bins until my pocket's empty. If I want something more specific, there are a couple good local shops I'm likely to have better luck with or will look online. The guys at the show with bigger selections all ordered and that kind of stuff that may be able to find something specific tend to charge more that I wanna spend at these things. Most of the time their prices are higher than the local shops or online dealers...although I guess if you like bargaining and all that it may be fun. Personally, I just use the show, which comes arounf like every other month or so, as a great chance to browse the dollar and 2 dollar bins and take some chances or unearth a hidden gemm.