Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My biggest problem with new music

It's not that I don't like any new music. But when I do hear something I like on the radio and go out to buy the CD, it turns out that there's only the one good song on the whole CD. Are there any newer CD's that have more than one or two good songs?
    My style of listening is classic rock. But You can listen to the same songs for just so long.
    I have seen posts here telling of good bands but I haven't heard of any of these. I don't know who does what kind of music. Can anyone tell me who of today's artists compare to:

Rush:
    Yes:
    Pinkfloyd:
    Eagles:
    Boston:
    Genisis:
    Aerosmith:
    Van Haylen:
    etc...
    I have found that I am starting to like other music as well. Such as Jule, avril lavigne, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and Martina McBride.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    1. Stop listening to commercial radio.
    2. Take some risks and pick up a couple of the highly-touted albums you keep seeing on this board.

The best thing about buying albums by bands you don't know is there's no single out there that you've heard to serve as some sort of "benchmark" for the rest of the album. 97% of the bands in my CD collection I never heard a peep of before buying one of their albums. It's helped by the fact that 99% of them are foreign bands that don't get radio play here, at least initially, anyway. It lets YOU truly decide what you like/don't like.

Too many people out there THINK they like what they listen to because it's shoved down their throat over the U.S. airwaves, every hour, on the hour. Free yourself of this vicious cycle and you'll be much happier.

A result of the repackaged band-X 90's in America led to albums like you have found where only one song was decent. The major labels weren't interested in developing bands, only wanting the "next big thing". This shot them in the ass because it led to/fed the massive illegal downloading. Yet they continue to put out mediocre crap while they try to find ways to deal with the download phenomenon.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillB
    1. Stop listening to commercial radio.
    2. Take some risks and pick up a couple of the highly-touted albums you keep seeing on this board.

The best thing about buying albums by bands you don't know is there's no single out there that you've heard to serve as some sort of "benchmark" for the rest of the album. 97% of the bands in my CD collection I never heard a peep of before buying one of their albums. It's helped by the fact that 99% of them are foreign bands that don't get radio play here, at least initially, anyway. It lets YOU truly decide what you like/don't like.

Too many people out there THINK they like what they listen to because it's shoved down their throat over the U.S. airwaves, every hour, on the hour. Free yourself of this vicious cycle and you'll be much happier.

Bill
    I think we agree on a few things. Mostly I listen to CD's. I "hate" the radio. Was never into what's popular. But after I've spun every CD I own 7 or 8 thousand times (not to mention all the times I've heard them on cassets, LP's and 8-tracks) I look for something new. The radio becomes my something new. Now this board is where I'm looking for new. But I don't want to run out and buy a CD full of "head banging (throw your mother in the street) kind of music".
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Based the bands that you list, try some of these new bands to fill the rock/prog void...

To fill the Rush void:
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
    Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory, Octavarium
    Coheed and Cambria - I haven't heard their newest disk yet, so I'd like to withhold making a rec here.

To fill the Pink Floyd void:
    Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs, The Secret Migration
    Cryptic Vision - Moments of Clarity

To fill the Genesis void:
    Spocks Beard - To be honest, I don't know enough of this band's CDs to make a rec.

I'm sure that others around here will pipe in with other suggestions, but these should get you started.

Forum Regular

Try this

Check out radioparadise.com. I have pretty similar musical tastes as you and find commercial radio totally unsatisfying. Radio Paradise plays popular bands and bands you may never have heard of and doesn't stick to any format other than quality.

To answer your question about album/band advice, I'd check out Porcupine Tree. Pretty safe bet for a progger.

I hate to admit it, but one of the most consistant albums I have heard recently is a bubble-gum pop album from Fountains of Wayne called 'Welcome Interstate Managers'. Catchy, melodic, decent lyrics.
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:9aevad4kq8w5

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Based the bands that you list, try some of these new bands to fill the rock/prog void...

To fill the Rush void:
    Porcupine Tree
    Dream Theater
    Coheed and Cambria

Mercury Rev
    Cryptic Vision

Spocks Beard

I'm sure that others around here will pipe in with other suggestions, but these should get you started.
    Thank you 4-ever. I'll give these a try.
    I actually have a copy of a Porcupine Tree CD that a friend made me. But he has given me so much junk in the past that I never tried it.

Thanks again.........

Quote Originally Posted by daigoro
    Check out radioparadise.com. I have pretty similar musical tastes as you and find commercial radio totally unsatisfying. Radio Paradise plays popular bands and bands you may never have heard of and doesn't stick to any format other than quality.

To answer your question about album/band advice, I'd check out Porcupine Tree. Pretty safe bet for a progger.

I hate to admit it, but one of the most consistant albums I have heard recently is a bubble-gum pop album from Fountains of Wayne called 'Welcome Interstate Managers'. Catchy, melodic, decent lyrics.
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:9aevad4kq8w5
    Thank you. I will give these a try.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thank you 4-ever. I'll give these a try.
    I actually have a copy of a Porcupine Tree CD that a friend made me. But he has given me so much junk in the past that I never tried it.

Thanks again.........
    Go back to my original post. I threw in some album titles to help you out.

And for goodness sakes...go pull out that Porky Tree disk. You don't know what you're missing!!!!

Go back to my original post. I threw in some album titles to help you out.

And for goodness sakes...go pull out that Porky Tree disk. You don't know what you're missing!!!!
    hahahaha thanks, I actually had it in my hand this morning. Thought of bringing out to the car, but then put it back.

42 Regular
    You might also like the disc Now Here Is Nowhere by The Secret Machines. It's a big, dynamic album that reminds some folks of Pink Floyd.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

If you are serious, you should consider hanging out here a bit more. While the comp activity has dwindled to virtually nothing in the past few months, I know somebody will offer one up soon. After trying some of these discs out you'll:
    1). Find something that you like
    2). Start to figure out who's musical tastes run closest to your own.
    3). That Finch has the most suspect taste of anyone on the board (gay little smiley thing, not that there's anything wrong with that)

Personally, I'd offer but based on your tastes, you'd come periously close to hanging yourself after listening to one of my comps.

I'd have to agree with the other folks, based on your list I should think you'd love PT. I'm not a progger in the least and even I can see why somebody would really dig this stuff. After In Abstentia I'd suggest Lightbulb Sun. It really wasn't my thing but again, I think it may be for you.

As an aside, it's good to see you here where they tolerate stoopid people (me) but don't put up with stoopid and helpless people. (another smiley- see above) I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    You might also like the disc Now Here Is Nowhere by The Secret Machines. It's a big, dynamic album that reminds some folks of Pink Floyd.
    Cool, I'll give them a try. I do like the "big, dynamic" kind of sound.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    If you are serious, you should consider hanging out here a bit more. While the comp activity has dwindled to virtually nothing in the past few months, I know somebody will offer one up soon. After trying some of these discs out you'll:
    1). Find something that you like
    2). Start to figure out who's musical tastes run closest to your own.
    3). That Finch has the most suspect taste of anyone on the board (gay little smiley thing, not that there's anything wrong with that)

Personally, I'd offer but based on your tastes, you'd come periously close to hanging yourself after listening to one of my comps.

I'd have to agree with the other folks, based on your list I should think you'd love PT. I'm not a progger in the least and even I can see why somebody would really dig this stuff. After In Abstentia I'd suggest Lightbulb Sun. It really wasn't my thing but again, I think it may be for you.

As an aside, it's good to see you here where they tolerate stoopid people (me) but don't put up with stoopid and helpless people. (another smiley- see above) I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

jc
    Thanks Jim,

I do watch this forum each day. But I rarely see any names that I know anything about. Don't know if everyone is talking about Rap, Punk, clasicle, jazz or what. So I just read and keep my mouth shut. I have posted a few times but it seemed like I was talking out of turn.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    It's not that I don't like any new music. But when I do hear something I like on the radio and go out to buy the CD, it turns out that there's only the one good song on the whole CD. Are there any newer CD's that have more than one or two good songs?
    My style of listening is classic rock. But You can listen to the same songs for just so long.
    I have seen posts here telling of good bands but I haven't heard of any of these. I don't know who does what kind of music. Can anyone tell me who of today's artists compare to:

Rush:
    Yes:
    Pinkfloyd:
    Eagles:
    Boston:
    Genisis:
    Aerosmith:
    Van Haylen:
    etc...
    I have found that I am starting to like other music as well. Such as Jule, avril lavigne, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, and Martina McBride.
    I'm in the same boat as you,radio sucks. I've turned to blues the last 10 years or so to fill the void and it has. Gary Moore,Joe Bonamessa,clapton,SRV and others. The thing i miss from newer stuff is the lack of good singing.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    I'm in the same boat as you,radio sucks. I've turned to blues the last 10 years or so to fill the void and it has. Gary Moore,Joe Bonamessa,clapton,SRV and others. The thing i miss from newer stuff is the lack of good singing.
    Thanks Shock. I'll try a few.

Thanks Jim,

I do watch this forum each day. But I rarely see any names that I know anything about. Don't know if everyone is talking about Rap, Punk, clasicle, jazz or what. So I just read and keep my mouth shut. I have posted a few times but it seemed like I was talking out of turn.
    I know how you feel. When I starting reading this board, it was a little intimidating because I had no idea about any of the bands being discussed here.

The secret is to request comps when they're offered up. Don't worry if you have nothing to send in return. The people here are very generous and get a kick out of introducing new music to people. It's all about the music.

Also, if someone mentions a band that you want to check out, go to the bands website. Most bands have some sort of stream so that you can sample their music. That will give you an idea of whether you like it.

And as Jim said, eventually you'll find out who has similar tastes to your own and before you know it, you'll be sharing your own music with other folks here. This is a fun place to be. But be warned, once you start to figure it all out, your wallet will begin taking a big hit.

I've been hanging out here for almost three years. And I'm now listening to a lot of the bands that were being discussed three years ago that I had never heard of....and I'm loving them!

I hope to see you post more often.

Forum Regular
    www.amazon.com is not half bad either. Several times I'll look up a band that I know I like and the section "Other that have bought this have also bought" often contains other bands I already like as well. Chances are that any listed in that section that I don't know of I'd like if I already like everyone else listed.

Bill

But be warned, once you start to figure it all out, your wallet will begin taking a big hit.

I hope to see you post more often.
    Oh no! I'm already drooling over all the high end speakers and amps I've seen on the other threads (that I can't afford). Now I can chip small pieces of my wallet away so that I don't notice how much I'm spending until it's too late.

I'll be here. I watch and post every day somewhere here. I'm mostly into HT. I guess because it's still new to me.

Thanks for all your help, and the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BillB
    www.amazon.com is not half bad either. Several times I'll look up a band that I know I like and the section "Other that have bought this have also bought" often contains other bands I already like as well. Chances are that any listed in that section that I don't know of I'd like if I already like everyone else listed.

Bill
    Cool, thanks Bill. I'll give it a try.

Forum Regular

Talking

So I just read and keep my mouth shut. I have posted a few times but it seemed like I was talking out of turn.
    Anybody's comments are more than welcome round here and most people I've found are more than generous with there time and knowledge, so chime in anytime. I look in most days and read but don't always post as I guess most people do looking at the number of hits messages get.

As for new music it's a tough one trying to compare new music to classic rock. By it's description classic rock means its stood the test of time and who knows if we'll be talking about Porcupine Tree in 20 years time, as good as they are I suspect not.

If you are looking for modern day versions of Pink floyd, Yes, Eagles, Genesis etc I think you'll be disappointed, to be honest if you do find them they'll be poor imitations, or so far removed you'll disagree with the comparison. My tastes don't centre around classic rock but it might be worth checking out some sounds for starters from Super Furry Animals, Radiohead, Foofighters, U2, Porcupine Tree, Drive By Truckers, Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown.

Failing that the best thing I can offer is check out a few Tuesday threads which is mostly dominated by indie type bands these days and then check out some sound samples on something like Amazon to see if you like them.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Anybody's comments are more than welcome round here and most people I've found are more than generous with there time and knowledge, so chime in anytime. I look in most days and read but don't always post as I guess most people do looking at the number of hits messages get.

As for new music it's a tough one trying to compare new music to classic rock. By it's description classic rock means its stood the test of time and who knows if we'll be talking about Porcupine Tree in 20 years time, as good as they are I suspect not.

If you are looking for modern day versions of Pink floyd, Yes, Eagles, Genesis etc I think you'll be disappointed, to be honest if you do find them they'll be poor imitations, or so far removed you'll disagree with the comparison. My tastes don't centre around classic rock but it might be worth checking out some sounds for starters from Super Furry Animals, Radiohead, Foofighters, U2, Porcupine Tree, Drive By Truckers, Ryan Adams and Whiskeytown.

Failing that the best thing I can offer is check out a few Tuesday threads which is mostly dominated by indie type bands these days and then check out some sound samples on something like Amazon to see if you like them.

Cheers
    Mike
    Thanks Mike.

I sure am getting a lot of new ideas to try out.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Spocks Beard - To be honest, I don't know enough of this band's CDs to make a rec.
    I'm a little surprised to read this from you. A lot of Spocks Beard's older stuff I could take or leave. Respected the band, didn't care for some of the CD's. Snow and V were okay.

I really like Octane though, doesn't sound much like the old Spock's Beard to me, and it tends to lean more towards the rock side of prog-rock. Very good disc through and through, I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I'm a little surprised to read this from you. A lot of Spocks Beard's older stuff I could take or leave. Respected the band, didn't care for some of the CD's. Snow and V were okay.

I really like Octane though, doesn't sound much like the old Spock's Beard to me, and it tends to lean more towards the rock side of prog-rock. Very good disc through and through, I'd recommend it.
    Thanks again Kex.

By the way, is there anything that you don't know about?
    You were even giving good advice over in the steel cage.

Suspended

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs, The Secret Migration

Is that guy even old enough to sing without his parents being there. The Rev I have heard couldn't come close to filling a Floyd Voyd. Nothing can.

I tend to agree with the original post. Not too many disks have more than a few good songs. Are there any BAD songs on Trick of the Tail, Dark Side of the Moon? Nope! Most of todays bands have nothing much to offer in the way the classic rock bands did. The spirituality of the music has turned to victim of society reflections instead of promoting peace and well being. The drugs are not as good today so where will they get thier inspiration?

On a lighter note, WXPN, one of the last good radio stations, played a bunch of strange cover tunes the other day. #1 on the list was Steve Lawrence and Eddie Gormet singing "Black Hole Sun". Wow what a shocker. Set to graceful piano and strings they took this song to a pleasurable listen.

Hyfi

I was in the same boat

I was very into my classic rock stuff, but it was the usual list of suspects. And it was usually the same albums you hear on AOR station or classic rock mix, et el. I discovered a whole new world here at Rave Recs. Have you heard the older Pink Floyd stuff?

And I liked YES before, but then through comps started hearing YES stuff I never knew existed. Is most of your classic rock exposure limited to Best Of and Greatest Hits stuff. I experienced an epiphany when I finally heard YES albums like 'Drama' and 'Going For The One'....Classic Rock you say? Ever heard King Crimson or Captain Beyond? Both undiscovered gems from the '70s before I started asking questions around here.

So be open minded. Explore the bands you think you know by listening to some of their lesser known albums...explore bands you've never heard of, or missed the boat on...and listen to new band recs...I never heard of Porcupine Tree before finding RaveRecs, and now they're one of my favorite bands. Same with Spock's Beard (who by the way are reminiscent of older Genesis, not the '80s version).

So take off your coat and stay awhile...hang out...be prepared to accept everyone's generosity...up-date us on your new musical journey.

(new musical journey...Gawd...did I actually write that?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information