Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Hey! Where's Deep Purple in your list?!?!?

Your best bet is to start a "I like this, what else will I like?" thread some place like...here...

Ghost, Hypnotic Underworld -- closest thing to the new Pink Floyd, sounds a little dated, though
    The Coral -- just plain good ol' songwriting
    Electric Soft Parade, Holes in the Wall (American Adventure a close second) -- ditto
    Garbage and Version 2.0 -- ditto, a little harder, a little more alternative, and a little poppier, all at the same time

I second the Porcupine Tree recs, and someone needs to post a good Flower Kings rec. What's that one album with the one song...? Perhaps Alive from Planet Earth

Hey, FA, let me know how that C&C album is when you get it. I kind of like 'em.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Is that guy even old enough to sing without his parents being there. The Rev I have heard couldn't come close to filling a Floyd Voyd. Nothing can.

I tend to agree with the original post. Not too many disks have more than a few good songs. Are there any BAD songs on Trick of the Tail, Dark Side of the Moon? Nope! Most of todays bands have nothing much to offer in the way the classic rock bands did. The spirituality of the music has turned to victim of society reflections instead of promoting peace and well being. The drugs are not as good today so where will they get thier inspiration?

On a lighter note, WXPN, one of the last good radio stations, played a bunch of strange cover tunes the other day. #1 on the list was Steve Lawrence and Eddie Gormet singing "Black Hole Sun". Wow what a shocker. Set to graceful piano and strings they took this song to a pleasurable listen.

Hyfi
    Gee,PF has mostly boring songs. Never liked them even as much as i tried. Never saw them in concert and i could have many times. Just not my cup of tea. Not everybody craps there draws over PF. Might be the same reason P Tree doesnt do it for me either.
    Look & Listen

I listened to the PT CD that my friend recorded for me last night. Not sure of the title though. My friend is on the unusual side, so his taste in music reflects that. Just like any other band, I'm sure PT has some CD's that are better, or at least different, than others. This one sounded like a cross between PF's Final Cut and the sound track from Logan's Run. A little too slow and strange for me. Just seemed like a bunch of sound effects.
    I'll see if I can find them in a music store that let's me listen to samples to see if they have other CD's that I may like more.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I listened to the PT CD that my friend recorded for me last night. Not sure of the title though. My friend is on the unusual side, so his taste in music reflects that. Just like any other band, I'm sure PT has some CD's that are better, or at least different, than others. This one sounded like a cross between PF's Final Cut and the sound track from Logan's Run. A little too slow and strange for me. Just seemed like a bunch of sound effects.
    I'll see if I can find them in a music store that let's me listen to samples to see if they have other CD's that I may like more.
    I'm guessing this one one of their earlier releases (On the Sunday of Life?)...There last 3 or 4 albums have been a good blend of more concise songs with some catchy hooks. They really don't sound anything like their earlier stuff anymore.
    In Absentia or Deadwing are probably the easiest to get into...I like Signify best, myself. Give 'em a shot.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Hey, FA, let me know how that C&C album is when you get it. I kind of like 'em.
    I just listened to one of the tracks on their web site. It sounds pretty good, but I'd like to hear more before I dive in. I found that their last disk had some great stuff on it, but it ran too long with a lot of filler IMO. I'll pick up the new one if I can find it cheap. I'm trying to watch my cash flow for a little while, so I'm not buying too many new CDs right now....just watching my wish list get longer.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I'm guessing this one one of their earlier releases (On the Sunday of Life?)...There last 3 or 4 albums have been a good blend of more concise songs with some catchy hooks. They really don't sound anything like their earlier stuff anymore.
    In Absentia or Deadwing are probably the easiest to get into...I like Signify best, myself. Give 'em a shot.
    Again, thank again. And again, and again. And just for next time, thanks again.
    Have I cought up yet?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I was very into my classic rock stuff, but it was the usual list of suspects. And it was usually the same albums you hear on AOR station or classic rock mix, et el. I discovered a whole new world here at Rave Recs. Have you heard the older Pink Floyd stuff?
    You mean like Umma Gumma? Yeah, been through the old stuff.

And I liked YES before, but then through comps started hearing YES stuff I never knew existed. Is most of your classic rock exposure limited to Best Of and Greatest Hits stuff. I experienced an epiphany when I finally heard YES albums like 'Drama' and 'Going For The One'....Classic Rock you say? Ever heard King Crimson or Captain Beyond? Both undiscovered gems from the '70s before I started asking questions around here.
    I have most all of Yes. Tormatto is my fav. King Crimson was ok. Are they still around?

So be open minded. Explore the bands you think you know by listening to some of their lesser known albums...explore bands you've never heard of, or missed the boat on...and listen to new band recs...I never heard of Porcupine Tree before finding RaveRecs, and now they're one of my favorite bands. Same with Spock's Beard (who by the way are reminiscent of older Genesis, not the '80s version).
    I will try these. I do like both 70's and 80's Genesis.

So take off your coat and stay awhile...hang out...be prepared to accept everyone's generosity...up-date us on your new musical journey.

(new musical journey...Gawd...did I actually write that?)
    Journey? Not bad either.

By the way, I'm not limited to rock. I do like some jazz (Spiro Gyro, or something like that) or classical can be good, but I don't know who has what style. I prefer very dynamic music.
    I own ALL of Rush's CDs, except a few that were not released in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I own ALL of Rush's CDs, except a few that were not released in the states.
    I would have thought that all of Rush's CDs would have been released stateside. Regardless, if you know which ones you don't have, PM me with the titles. Your new Canadian friend may be able to set you up.

it's about the music
    Actually, i LOVED in the sunday of life. but i guess i'm just a weird, troubled kid. i enjoy chewing on guitar picks, too...
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

it's about the music
    someone here suggested u visit the band's sites when u hear about them, i'd suggest u check out what www.wikipedia.org has to say about them. Its an awesome online encyclopaedia which has helped me loads in choosing music and stuff.
    about new music to recommend... well nothing aside from what people have already said here, i'm a newbie too, its just that i'm reckless enough to post even tho my knowledge is very limited!
    I'd suggest checking out Wobbler if you can find them. Extremely symphonic prog. I love their stuff, and i'm living off their free samples because the CD is impossible to find here in spain.
    Cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB
    www.amazon.com is not half bad either. Several times I'll look up a band that I know I like and the section "Other that have bought this have also bought" often contains other bands I already like as well. Chances are that any listed in that section that I don't know of I'd like if I already like everyone else listed.

Bill
    When I see bands here I haven't heard I often scoot over to Amazon (used to use CDNow) and listen to song clips. Sometimes the bands are too obscure, but much of the time they have clips available.

I also agree that you should ask for comps when they're offered. To this day I still spin "Some Songs by Darius".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    Actually, i LOVED in the sunday of life. but i guess i'm just a weird, troubled kid. i enjoy chewing on guitar picks, too...
    It wasn't completely without merrit. It seemed like it was recorded well. Just wasn't my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    someone here suggested u visit the band's sites when u hear about them, i'd suggest u check out what www.wikipedia.org has to say about them. Its an awesome online encyclopaedia which has helped me loads in choosing music and stuff.
    about new music to recommend... well nothing aside from what people have already said here, i'm a newbie too, its just that i'm reckless enough to post even tho my knowledge is very limited!
    I'd suggest checking out Wobbler if you can find them. Extremely symphonic prog. I love their stuff, and i'm living off their free samples because the CD is impossible to find here in spain.
    Cheers!
    Thanks,

I'll check out the link. Wobbler sounds like it has prommise.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I would have thought that all of Rush's CDs would have been released stateside. Regardless, if you know which ones you don't have, PM me with the titles. Your new Canadian friend may be able to set you up.
    Thanks,

I'll look through their website and try to find them. I know there was at least one live LP that was never released here. I picked up a bootleg copy back in the 80's but it's long gone now. I just assumed there would be more.

The PT you heard...

might it have been 'The Sky Moves Sideways'? Their older stuff is much different from the last two albums...in fact, no two PT albums are the same (well, maybe the last two were). I found that their stuff takes a few listens to digest, but then a song or two starts to stick in your head and then....

Anyway, I do like Jazz as well...can't think of anything new though.

You liked 'Tormato' huh...I think at least two others on this board liked it too...I didn't.

Yes, King Crimson is still around...still just as obscure as ever...They had an album out just last year called 'Power To Believe'; a very dark, ambient, light industrial sounding thing with lots of instrumental interludes...just so, so IMO. Did you hear their 'Thrak' album, circa '94? That one is great IMO.

If you liked older Gabriel era Genesis, then you may like Marillion or Spock's Beard or IQ or The Flower Kings, but be warned, the vocalists for these bands are an aquired taste.
    Spock's Beard is my favorite of the bunch, but their old vocalist Neal Morse split a few years ago so now they're less artsy than when he was in charge. He was their chief song writer and he was superb at writing epic length songs. He has carried on as a solo artist doing christian-based, prog style music.

I'm sure as soon as you field a few e-mails, you'll have plenty of 'samples' to digest.

Keep us posted

Thank you to everyone here. The responses have been overwhelming. At this rate I'll have more comps than I'll know what to do with. Well, actually, I do know what to do with them, but you get what I mean.
    Thank you, one and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    After going through the list on their website, Anthology, Different Stages, Victor, Rush in Rio, Feedback, and My Favorite Headache, are the ones I don't have in my collection.

But I believe these were all released in the US. I did stumble accoss another site that has a list of bootleg Rush recording. I suspect that what I had on LP was one of these. Here is the list from Rush's site.

Rush, Jan. or Mar. 1974
    Fly By Night, Feb. 15, 1975
    Caress of Steel, Sep. 1975
    2112, Mar. 1976
    All The World's A Stage, Sep. 29, 1976
    A Farewell to Kings, Sep. 1977
    Archives, Apr. 1978
    Hemispheres, Oct. 29, 1978
    Permanent Waves, Jan. 1, 1980
    Moving Pictures, Feb. 12, 1981
    Rush Through Time, 1981
    Exit Stage Left, Oct. 29, 1981
    Signals, Sep. 9, 1982
    Anthology, 1984
    Grace Under Pressure, Apr. 12, 1984
    Power Windows, Oct. 29, 1985
    Hold Your Fire, Sep. 8, 1987 A Show Of Hands, Jan. 10, 1989
    Presto, Nov. 21, 1989
    Chronicles, Sep. 4, 1990
    Roll The Bones, Sep. 3, 1991
    Counterparts, Oct. 19, 1993
    Test for Echo, Sep. 10, 1996
    Retrospective I (1974-1980), May 6, 1997
    Retrospective II (1981-1987), June 3, 1997
    Different Stages, Nov. 10, 1998
    Vapor Trails, May 14, 2002
    The Spirit Of Radio: Greatest Hits
    (1974-1987), Feb. 11, 2003
    Rush in Rio, Oct. 21, 2003
    Feedback, June 29, 2004
    Solo Albums
    Victor, Jan. 9, 1996
    My Favorite Headache, Nov. 14, 2000

http://www.hf.rim.or.jp/~junya/rushboots/rushboots.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bootleg+rush

My Favourite Headache wasn't actually a Rush CD. It was a Geddy Lee solo project. But if you're a Rush fan you'll enjoy it.

I don't really have anything of value to add, but did wanna echo what some of the others said, that I hope you feel comfortable enough to keep hanging around and tossing off a comment now and then. You've obviously been around here for awhile and know some of the people. Most of us do tend to concentrate on new or obscure music, cause, well, it's just much more interesting to talk about, frankly. Love the Beatles and the Who and many of the classics, but don't really have any interest in talking about them anymore. What's to say?

Guess that's kind of the way most music boards are, with a heavy emphasis on new music, but not necessarily "new" sounds. Anyway, lots of good music floating around these days, some of it popular, some just off the radar, and some of it waaaay off the radar, but my biggest problem with new music is there's just not enough time to hear all that I wanna hear. Quite a few others around here with the same problem, although we all deal with it in our own unique ways. Nothing wrong with a steady diet of the classics if that's what keeps your boat rockin.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Love the Beatles and the Who and many of the classics, but don't really have any interest in talking about them anymore. What's to say?
    What about the Kinks or T-Rex?
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 09-23-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    If you grew up like me listening to AM and the Beatles and stones and all that. I picked up Motown Greatest Hits and not only is it great music,lots of tunes i forgot and i remember hearing over and over on those hot summer nights on 2nd street driving around all niught in my 68 VW.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    What the Kinks or T-Rex?
    I think you've been hangin at obner too much lately. Too cool for prepositions now?

Never say never, sure I talk some about the classics, especially the ones a little left of center like those and Neil Young and VU, and lesser known classics like Mink DeVille and Eno and Graham Parker and Kraftwerk and a few others. I talk about the Beatles and Who sometimes too if I feel like it and the topic seems like a new twist. But in general, you're much more likely to see me wagging on about Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers or Richmond Fontaine or some other modern but not ready for primetime artist, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I think you've been hangin at obner too much lately. Too cool for prepositions now?
    No, I've just "acquired the suck". I'm over it, now. (Above post fixed, pedant.)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    If you grew up like me listening to AM and the Beatles and stones and all that. I picked up Motown Greatest Hits and not only is it great music,lots of tunes i forgot and i remember hearing over and over on those hot summer nights on 2nd street driving around all niught in my 68 VW.
    I did grow up on AM, the Beatles and George Michael (the DJ, not the singer).
    I also had a VW. A 67 fast back with 2 Jenson 6x9 coaxials in the back and a pair of 5 inchers up front. Never did mount them though. They were just stuck to the metal car frame by the power of their magnets. Oh, those were the days. Blasting Deep Purple with no base to speak of.

Forum Regular
    GM,
    A lot of good suggestions so far. Based on your stated preferences, one cd you should definitely check out is Toy Matinee, released around 1990. I think I've mentioned it here before as one of the best recordings most people haven't heard of. I hear a sound reminiscient of Floyd, Steely Dan, and Toto, among others.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

Also if you haven't yet, check out Camel. If you like Floyd, Alan Parsons, etc. they share some of the same fan-base.

Have you listened to Kino yet? Mostly Autumn?

Go visit CD Baby - http://www.cdbaby.com/ Lots of independent music there, enough to spend an rainy day listening to samples. "Discover" someone there and bring them back to share.

Lots of good music still out there waiting to be heard, you just have to find it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information