• 06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
    Wireworm5
    My 10 best Hard Rockers Playlist
    In my quest for new Hard Rock/Heavy Metal as I'm tiring of just listening to 70's and 80's stuff. I put together my current 10 best Hard Rocker's playlist. Not only do I find these tunes awesome but they sound incredable on my system.

Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    1. No Way Back
    2. Free Me

Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    3. Super Overdrive
    4. Scream
    5. Body Snatcher

Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    6. Judas is Rising
    7. Deal with the Devil (the ultimate Hard Rocker)
    8. Hell Rider

Iron Maiden- Death on the Road
    9. No More Lies
    10. Fear of the Dark.

What's your top 10 adrenaline pumping songs and can you top these, they also must be good recordings?:)
  • 07-01-2006, 01:42 AM
    likeitloud
    :13: Hey, finally a guitar love'n, lead break listen'n fan. Sheesh, thank god.

I'm with ya on the Preist. Add to your list
    Wheels On Fire

Disturbed..10,000 Fists
    All of it, I advise you to scroll straight to...STRICKEN..And crank it.

Godsmack..IV
    All of it

Saliva..Survival Of The Sickest.
    All of it. Easily one of the best frontmen out there. Like the guy from disturbed, there
    lead guy is sick.

Pearl Jam
    So Far..Not Bad. Need to listen to this one some more.

Glad to see there really is a head bang'n , guitar love'n, stereo crank'n dude out there.
    I was wondering.:23:
  • 07-01-2006, 08:01 AM
    rob7
    A couple more---

Velvet Revolver
    Anthrax-We've Come For You All, Tracks 4, 5, and 6
    Armored Saint-Nod to the Old School, Some new and some old songs
    Bruce Dickinson-Tyrrany of Souls, not too bad

Enjoy
  • 07-01-2006, 08:14 AM
    jlcct
    Putting 'em in order will be tough but I'll give it a shot.

1. Deftones / Tool ~ Passenger ( Best song at high volume I've found to date. For me it was one of those songs that pushed me to buy more and go louder and .........now I'm poor. )

2. Soundgarden ~ Outshined

3. Audioslave ~ Your Time Has Come

4. Soundgarden ~ The Day I Tried To Live

5. Soundgarden ~ Fell On Black Days

6. Audioslave ~ Out Of Exile

7. Audioslave ~ Dandelion ( makes me think of Led Zepplin on fire )

8. Audioslave ~ Man Or Animal

9. Deftones ~ Change (In The House Of Flies)

10. Soundgarden ~ Shadow On The Sun

11. Deftones ~ Digital Bath

12. Deftones ~ Nightrider

I went over but ehh. Right now and for the past 2 yrs these three bands have been what I keep returning to. I fill in the cracks with some more stuff but Chris Cornell and company stole the scene from all rock bands. I kind of feel like they are one of the few great rock bands left. Kind of a kick stand for rock. There's a lot of good old bands out there but when it comes to a rock band that can produce a full album that you like more and more the longer you listen to it, Audioslave has got the **** down. 2 albums, 4 members and enough raw talent for 2 bands.

I always respond to these types of threads. Makes me wonder what I would have said 5 yrs ago.
  • 07-01-2006, 02:22 PM
    likeitloud
    I'm with you with audioslave(forgot about those dudes), and velvet revolver. I've always
    liked chris cornell, a great singer, and very good song writer, both with soundgarden
    and audioslave, and velvet revolver with slash and scott weiland plain rock. Don't forget
    they also have the whole guns rthymn section. I heard there new one will hit around
    x-mas. I'll be waiting. Billy Idol's Scream is, imo a top 5 rocker for 2006, Period.
    Bringing Steve Stevens back was way cool. One his best efforts, and thats saying
    something.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
    JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work, I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen:6:
  • 07-02-2006, 07:09 AM
    Wireworm5
    Jlcct I have that Audioslave album. I'm willing to add two songs to my top ten until I have a chance to sample the other suggestions. The IM tunes I threw in to fill out my ten but they are a little week.
    Don't ask me to define my criteria for top Ten, I know when I hear it. I mean some of these songs are good they just don't quit make the cut. I doesn't mean I won't listen to them they just won't get played as oftern.
    Updated list
    Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    1. No Way Back
    2. Free Me

Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    3. Super Overdrive
    4. Scream
    5. Body Snatcher

Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    6. Judas is Rising
    7. Deal with the Devil (the ultimate Hard Rocker)
    8. Hell Rider

Audioslave-Out of Exile
    9. Man or Animal
    10. Your Time has Come

runner up songs
    1. Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    2.JP- Demonizer
  • 07-02-2006, 09:43 AM
    rob7
    Another solid vote for Audioslave and the Priest.

For those familiar with Savatage, check out Circle II Circle.
    Megadeth's last album
    BLS-Stillborn
    Avenged Sevenfold
    F5

Sorry about not listing specific songs. Just a few of the newer albums/bands that I have. I've been listening to mostly old stuff lately that I've recently picked up.
  • 07-02-2006, 12:33 PM
    Stone
    I'm not sure what would be a top ten of the last 25 years or so, but here are a few I really like:

Rocket From the Crypt - "Young Livers"
    Husker Du - "Celebrated Summer"
    Turbonegro - "Get It On"
    Mclusky - "Alan Is a Cowboy Killer"
    NoMeansNo - "It's Catching Up"
    Dino Jr. - "Freak Scene"
    Archers of Loaf - "Fabricoh"
  • 07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    in alphabetical order, soas not to choose favourites, and this is likely to change, and I'm sure I forgot someone, &c. &c.:

Blue Oyster Cult
    Crack the Sky
    Deep Purple
    Golden Earring
    Judas Priest
    Led Zeppelin
    New Model Army
    Rush
    Scorpions
    The Who

The Who is easily last and would be the first to go if I could think of anyone else; Rush is easily first, as they are in my top 10 favourite artists of all time. I'm not sure Priest et al count as "hard rock" and not "heavy metal", but unless I can think of anyone better, they stay. Sabbath are definitely heavy metal, and so they are not on this list. I would also like to point out the complete lack of Bon Jovi and Extreme from my list. Thank you.
  • 07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slosh
    Holy f<a>uck, I'm not trying to be a snob or anything but gawddamn.

Pull out the IV already.

You don't misspell the f-word, but you have a problem with spelling g-d- correctly? That is so not metal.
  • 07-02-2006, 10:50 PM
    Wireworm5
    Okay, I sampled as many of the suggestions that were made above as I could, with more to follow if I can. It is no longer possible for me to keep this under 10 as I can't decide which song/s to eliminate. So this list could grow to 50 even 100, but as for now where up to 15 of the best Hard Rocking/Heavy metel songs of recent years that I've heard so far.

Revised list #3 Best 15
    1. No Way Back, Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    2. Free Me, Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    3. Super Overdrive, Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    4. Scream, Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    5. Body Snatcher, Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    6. Judas is Rising,Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    7. Deal with the Devil, Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    8. Hell Rider, Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    9. Man or Animal, Audioslave-Out of Exile
    10. Your Time has Come, Audioslave-Out of Exile
    11.Lonely, Deftones?
    12. Feel the Pain, Dinosaur Jr.-Without a Sound
    13. Redefine Pain, Disturbed- 10,000 Fists
    14. Awaken, Disturbed- Believe
    15. Spoonman, Soundgarden- Super Unknown

Thanks, everyone for all the suggestions.:)
  • 07-03-2006, 04:39 AM
    -Jar-
    I like some of the more commercial stuff from the "grunge" era, but I also like more extreme things.. here's one of my mix track lists that is pretty representative of the heavy shiznit that I dig.

DEATH BECOMES US

01 Acid Bath - New Corpse
    02 Converge - Fault and Fracture
    03 Mastodon - Aqua Demensia
    04 Slayer - Piece by Piece
    05 December - Vertigo
    06 Today Is The Day - Realization
    07 Cynic - Sentiment
    08 Dillinger Escape Plan - Pig Latin
    09 In Flames - Cloud Connected
    10 Neurosis - Times of Grace
    11 High on Fire - Hung, Drawn & Quartered
    12 Dazzling Killmen - Torture
    13 Celtic Frost - Eternal Summer
    14 Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice
    15 The Jesus Lizard - Glamorous
    16 Entombed - Rotten Soil
    17 Unsane - Empty Cartridge
    18 Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
    19 Botch - C. Thomas Howell As The Soul Man
    20 Season to Risk - Scorched

Other faves are Helmet, Kyuss, Melvins, Monster Magnet (old stuff), Buzzoven, Sepultura, Shellac, Tool, Unsane, Cave In, Katatonia, Opeth....
  • 07-03-2006, 04:56 AM
    jlcct
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I like some of the more commercial stuff from the "grunge" era, but I also like more extreme things.. here's one of my mix track lists that is pretty representative of the heavy shiznit that I dig.

DEATH BECOMES US

01 Acid Bath - New Corpse
    02 Converge - Fault and Fracture
    03 Mastodon - Aqua Dementia
    04 Slayer - Piece by Piece
    05 December - Vertigo
    06 Today Is The Day - Realization
    07 Cynic - Sentiment
    08 Dillinger Escape Plan - Pig Latin
    09 In Flames - Cloud Connected
    10 Neurosis - Times of Grace
    11 High on Fire - Hung, Drawn & Quartered
    12 Dazzling Kill men - Torture
    13 Celtic Frost - Eternal Summer
    14 Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice
    15 The Jesus Lizard - Glamorous
    16 Entombed - Rotten Soil
    17 Insane - Empty Cartridge
    18 Soil work - The Chain heart Machine
    19 Botch - C. Thomas Howell As The Soul Man
    20 Season to Risk - Scorched

Other fives are Helmet, Kiss, Melvins, Monster Magnet (old stuff), Buzzoven, Sepultura, Shellac, Tool, Unsane, Cave In, Katatonia, Opeth....

WOW.....I suddenly feel very uncultured. Maybe it's because I'm 24 and most of the people here seem to be twice my age. I would like to take something away from everyone's taste here, and so far I know and have heard most of it. I don't have the time to listen to 19 bands that I never heard of. I'm always down for anything loud as that's my preference. If you were to turn someone onto just one of those bands who would it be? Would it be in the same order. For me, the song I have picked for #1 is not by the band that I would try to sell. That's probably because I have never gotten a positive response about the Deftones or Tool from anyone over the age of 30. Who knew. It's a new day.

Lets make that 16 bands I've never heard of and 2 of the 4 I've never heard.

May I suggest an addition to this thread. I'd like to know what band would you ( everyone) like to suggest if you could only pick one band?

Also what album release are you most looking forward to?
  • 07-03-2006, 05:10 AM
    Wireworm5
    I bought a Slayer dvd a while back which I traded for IM-Rio. That was too rank for me. I thought it crossed the line of decency.Even though hard rock and metal usually seem to promote the devil which is contrary to my beliefs, its just a marketing tool. But this stuff is on a level that offends me. There was one song on the album that I thought was good, but I never recorded it.
  • 07-03-2006, 05:57 AM
    jlcct
    Alright, I can't help it. Honorable mention to Filter ~ You Walk Away.
  • 07-03-2006, 06:14 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    I bought a Slayer dvd a while back which I traded for IM-Rio. That was too rank for me. I thought it crossed the line of decency.Even though hard rock and metal usually seem to promote the devil which is contrary to my beliefs, its just a marketing tool. But this stuff is on a level that offends me. There was one song on the album that I thought was good, but I never recorded it.

Definately don't listen to Acid Bath then.

As for me, little offends this dyed-in-the-wool atheist.

Good luck with your quest.

-jar
  • 07-03-2006, 06:27 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcct
    Alright, I can't help it. Honorable mention to Filter ~ You Walk Away.

If you like this brand of industrial/metal check out Rammstein if you haven't already. If you want to hear where it all started pick up Ministry~The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. From a goth angle you could try The Sisters of Mercy~Floodland or Vision Thing. Both latter bands have been sighted as influences by Mr. Idol...
  • 07-03-2006, 06:39 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Lets make that 16 bands I've never heard of and 2 of the 4 I've never heard.

May I suggest an addition to this thread. I'd like to know what band would you ( everyone) like to suggest if you could only pick one band?

Also what album release are you most looking forward to?

Well if I was to make WHITE PONY, which we both seem to be fans of, as a sort of jumping off point, the first album I'd suggest you check out is JUPITER by Cave In. It's really in a class by itself. Imagine a sort of alternative metal record that's informed by both Rush and Radiohead.

I'm 36 and will pretty much listen to anything. A lot of the music I enjoy I've discovered fairly recently, in the past 5 years. There's certainly a lot out there to discover...

-jar
  • 07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
    jlcct
    So I listened to some Ministry and I'm having trouble getting past the 80's style.............well dorky, voices popping up all over the place for no reason that seem to deflate the value of the music. I do however enjoy some of the hypnotizing rhythms.

Also I listened to some Cave In and I can see how they could draw a decent following. Although I am not a fan of the Incubus style. The thing about Cave In is that lead singer Steve Brodsky sounds so seperated in terms of lyrics to vocal emotion. To put these guys in the same room with the likes of the Deftones would be odd. I kind of get the cupcakes and carebears feeling from them rather than the aggressive hypnotic that is what I so prefer. I guess it's probably that I first thought Incubus and like Incubus they have such potential but I think there frontman's tone and style hold them back from putting their foot down.

I just read an interview with them and it sounds like they have made a drastic change in there style 2 or 3 times so far and I think that's a good thing. It raises their odds of finding what they are capable of. Culture.

Please understand that these reviews are just my personal opinions. Got anything else?
  • 07-05-2006, 04:49 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

I just read an interview with them and it sounds like they have made a drastic change in there style 2 or 3 times so far and I think that's a good thing. It raises their odds of finding what they are capable of. Culture.

Yea, their early years were as a screaming technical hardcore band. Then they dropped the screaming and turned their focus towards a more progressive sound with JUPITER. Then they got signed to RCA, stripped down their sound into 4 minute radio friendly pieces. Unfortunately, ANTENNA didn't sell so they were subsequently dropped. Now their sort of back in the indie world, and their last album had them revisiting all their previous styles.. Honestly I'm not sure where they are going or what they are going to do next.

Other albums you might want to try:

Clutch - CLUTCH (another sort of technical heavy band, started off more hardcore then sort of defined their own sound by combining some more bluesy/jazzy elements - great stuff)

You might also want to try:

Failure - MAGNIFIED (although they broke up years ago, this is still a classic in my book)

Hum - DOWNWRD IS HEAVENWARD (This one [their last album from 1998] is one of my all time favorites, though they're not as "heavy" as a Tool or Deftones, their sound is just as huge and their focus is on delivering something akin to a full orchestral sound just with guitars bass and drums, while also being very catchy at the same time. if you're turned on by some of the heavier Smashing Pumpkins stuff, definately give them a try. You might recall their mid-90's minor hit "Stars")

-jar
  • 07-05-2006, 08:14 AM
    Wireworm5
    Revised list #3 Best 15
    1. No Way Back, Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    2. Free Me, Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
    3. Super Overdrive, Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    4. Scream, Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    5. Body Snatcher, Billy Idol- The Devil's Playground
    6. Judas is Rising,Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    7. Deal with the Devil, Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    8. Hell Rider, Juda Priest- Angel of Reflection
    9. Man or Animal, Audioslave-Out of Exile
    10. Your Time has Come, Audioslave-Out of Exile
    11.Lonely, Deftones?
    12. Feel the Pain, Dinosaur Jr.-Without a Sound
    13. Redefine Pain, Disturbed- 10,000 Fists
    14. Awake, Disturbed, Static X, Slipnot- ?
    15. Tears of the Dragon, Bruce Dickerson- Tears of the Dragon

14. should be a Awake not awaken. I listened to Awaken and its a differentt song and no where near as good. Listen to Bruce Dickenson and loved the guitar playing so I'll have to buy this album, Tears of the Dragon.
  • 07-14-2006, 08:24 AM
    ktrucke
    Hmm, some new things to try out. Here's my current list of albums in no particular order:
    Facelift - Alice in Chains
    Metallica - Metallica
    Year of the Spider - Cold
    Believe - Believe
    Awake - Godsmack
    Break the Cycle - Staind
    Aenima - Tool
    Cryptic Writings - Megadeth
    Audioslave - Audioslave
    The Donnas - Spend the Night

BTW I'm 40. :)

ETA: Judas Priest is one of my all time favorites but I'm only familiar with the old stuff. The original post specified NOT 70's or 80's...