Talking Spiritualized, Sweet Heart Sweet Light (Double Six

Okay, Fellow RRers.

Have any of you listened to the latest disc by Spiritualized, Sweet Heart Sweet Light (Double Six)? I am a big fan of 1997's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, yet I haven't heard any of their latest. I stumbled upon this in a review I read in Spin magazine and have been meaning to ask for a reliable take on Jason Pierce and company's latest from the RR voices.

Any Spiritualized fans out there?

Thanks, in advance,
    audiobill

I'm kind of mixed on it, and don't fully understand some of the glowing reviews and references to Floating in Space. It is good, and does have some of that same mix of styles, but still seems to lack something. The lyrics are kind of a toss away, and that's never been his big thing, but it's more noticeable on this one. The sound is pretty loud and compressed, which has always been his big thing, but it's more noticeable on this one. You can't really tell apart the instruments when it gets loud, and you can on Floating in Space.

So it kind of depends. It's more memorable than some of his recent records, and it is getting some great reviews, along with some bad ones too. Guess I'm kinda in the middle. Good, but not great.

Hmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Good, but not great.
    Thanks Davey for your take on Spriritualized's latest creation. I know what you mean by the compressed sound - a bit of a signature for them. I, personally, was surprised that Pierce and company are still around and still making music. Matter of fact, Amazing Grace, was the last album of theirs that I purchased. Also, worth noting is that it's quite a different lineup of musicians than what first appeared on Ladies and Gentlemen. I do enjoy that lush wall of sound texture that their earlier music had in spades. But, based on your mini-review Davey, I think I'll give their latest a pass or an mp3 listen first.

Thanks-a-ton,
    Bill

Thread Information