Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Musical Jeopardy: The Mystery Disc

Hey Yo, let's play our game...

Mystery disc, oh mystery disc...this one comes in threes, but not this time.

Remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question.

...and before Swish asks, no it's not another one of my World Comps or Electronica Tanzmetal safaris. It's good old-fashioned R&R albeit a bit maudlin.There are eleven discs in eleven envelopes and only eleven discs and only eleven envelopes. The PM lines are open.

What is......Bad Luck by Social Distortion ?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have several Mike Ness cd's but noithing by Social Distortion. I should work on buying some Social Distortion cd's.

Alex I will take Transgendered Singers for $200.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Is this another one of your World Comps or Electronica Tanzmetal safaris?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    H...and before Swish asks, no it's not another one of my World Comps or Electronica Tanzmetal safaris. It's good old-fashioned R&R albeit a bit maudlin.There are eleven discs in eleven envelopes and only eleven discs and only eleven envelopes. The PM lines are open.
    Oh, I see you already covered that.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Guess I shouln't be surprised...

Y'all realize that this isn't only a sillyass riddle but there's the potential for real stuff to cross the lands and seas and come to rest in yer hot little hands.

Some days starting a dialogue in here is like hanging a pinata in a room full of quadropalegics. Selah.

Kua-paka‘a

Well, this place is akin to a morgue of late, but...

Y'all realize that this isn't only a sillyass riddle but there's the potential for real stuff to cross the lands and seas and come to rest in yer hot little hands.

Some days starting a dialogue in here is like hanging a pinata in a room full of quadropalegics. Selah.

Kua-paka‘a
    ...try as I might, I couldn't muster a guess. I'm thinking 'good things come in 3s', but that doesn't give me enough of a clue, at least not with my limited musical knowledge.

Swish - older and stupider
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Okay, disregard everything you've read thus far. I'm going to try a simpler approach.

Would anyone like a "Mystery Disc"? We've done this before...someone sends folks an unidentified disc, folks listen, and then we discuss. I'm offering to be that someone.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Sure! Sounds good!

You've got to keep things simple around here. We're not all that bright.

Kewl., one for you. See how easy that was.

If it is Social Distortion, I don't need a disc, but would be happy to discuss...I'm a fan and all.

I swear to God it's not Mike Ness and the boys. It's a band that most of you have heard and from whom you probably have works within your collection...just not this one.

But, in any case, you're in.

Okay, disregard everything you've read thus far. I'm going to try a simpler approach.

Would anyone like a "Mystery Disc"? We've done this before...someone sends folks an unidentified disc, folks listen, and then we discuss. I'm offering to be that someone.
    Huh??

Hit me. I'll give you my address if you need it.

paiva(at)designshed.com

Thanks!

Count me in.

But I still owe you some stuff, even after discounting the world music stuff that I use as a coaster for my morning coffee.

Swish Baby

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    But I still owe you some stuff, even after discounting the world music stuff that I use as a coaster for my morning coffee.

Swish Baby
    That world music disk broke while it was in my car's CD player and jammed the whole thing up. I had to have the whole player replaced. Thank goodness for warranties!!!

The not-so-much-anticipated-but-long-awaited "Mystery Discs" went out today along with some assorted goodies. Hopefully at least some of y'all will receive them by week's end.

READ THIS: sometime over the last few weeks my computer updated my library and despite having purposely left any info off the track and title notes the last several copies that went out have all the info and even the album cover burned in. If ya really wanna play the guessing game then do not play the disc in a computer...if, like most, you don't care either way then, well, whatever.

I tried to include some extras based on things I know some of y'all would like or questions that have been posed recently....but Troy what the hell do you listen to? And, JC I have no idea what you've already got so it became kinda a crapshoot at the end.

I used two bundles of discs for this (demand was higher than expected) and I just starting adding folks to the list after it clearly became a "project". I'd forgotten how rotten Sony discs are so actually I have the better part of a complete bundle lying around of those too.

Finally, I made an effort to listen to at least a few tracks off of each disc to make sure that were no burn issues so I'm now officially sick of the "Mystery Disc". If one of you characters really likey I have the #2170 MoFi SACD pressing from the Original Masters Series. We'll talk, mebbe I'll throw in a handful of crappy Sony blanks to sweeten the deal.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Hey Sticks,

Disco del Mysteriouso + extras just arrived. Thanks!

Got some things going on today so it'll get some spin time on the road.

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

....but Troy what the hell do you listen to?
    Here's today's random playlist:

That's a pretty good cross section of stuff I like, but it's only 60 of the 5000 tracks in the computer. I prefer ornate and complex over minimal and simple. I like it funny and I like it weird.

Thanks for sending the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy

That's a pretty good cross section of stuff I like, but it's only 60 of the 5000 tracks in the computer. I prefer ornate and complex over minimal and simple. I like it funny and I like it weird.

Well then I blew that one. You know I remember now seeing those playlists of yours, so my bad fer not inverstigating. I just chose things I'd listen to while driving through the desert.

Suspended
    Sure sounds a bunch like Cowboy Junkies. If that is not who it is, I have no idea.

Thanks for the package Sticks.

Yeah, that was my guess as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Sure sounds a bunch like Cowboy Junkies. If that is not who it is, I have no idea.

Thanks for the package Sticks.
    ...I just got mine yesterday and spun it once. The style doesn't scream the Junkies, but I can't quite figure on who else it could possibly be.

Oh, and thanks for the disc and the extras Bobsticks. I take back all the bad things I've said about you. Well, not all, but most.

Swishdaddy

That was a tough spin for me.

I get it: it's that lo-fi morphine skronk lounge thing. Sort of like a band that would appear in a David Lynch movie at 3AM in some divey parallel-universe biker bar. Maybe it works ok for a 5 minute scene in a movie, but a whole album?

I grant you, I played it in a good mood on a beautifully sunny sunday afternoon, and I think this album might sound best stewed on seconal and bourbon late on the third night of a lost weekend.

And another thing- it doesn't have enough variety for me. It's very repetitive, same guitar and drunk vocalist on every track. I'm not sure how much my dissatisfaction and quick boredom is a product of not listening to whole albums anymore, and how much the repetitiveness is made extra-noticeable by the stark minimalism of this music.

File under not my bag. Thanks tho.

Spot-on analysis Troy, and that probably says a lot about the differences not only between what you and I listen to but how and when. I definitely agree about the mood and the Lynch motif...can't say so much about the Seconal, I came from the generation immediately after that "Bright Lights, Big City", Brett Easton Ellis era and we had our own mood modifiers...but all in all it seems about right. Also noteworthy, I still listen to albums as a complete work, so you're right about that too.

The MD is, indeed, The Cowboy Junkies from a far off garage recording unearthed years later. My buddy Patrick is a musical journeyman at a young age having toured with the Horde Tour and done some sound work with Shania Twain amongst other dubious accomplishments. According to him the Calrec Ambisonic mic that was used in this session is a bit of a cult piece and still commands a ridiculous price. Whether you liked the music itself one would be hard pressed to deny the results especially considering that this was a one track/take kinda dealio.

Check out this linky for more info:http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/albums/...ff/index7.html

Credit Finchy for first correct response but it seems as if everyone got it pretty quickly. I'll hav eto dig deeper into my bag of obscurity next time.
    Last edited by bobsticks; 05-12-2008 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Oh, and thanks for the disc and the extras Bobsticks. I take back all the bad things I've said about you. Well, not all, but most.

Swishdaddy
    If that's the case, clearly I need to redouble my efforts.

So when do Hify and I collect our prizes for correctly...

Spot-on analysis Troy, and that probably says a lot about the differences not only between what you and I listen to but how and when. I definitely agree about the mood and the Lynch motif...can't say so much about the Seconal, I came from the generation immediately after that "Bright Lights, Big City", Brett Easton Ellis era and we had our own mood modifiers...but all in all it seems about right. Also noteworthy, I still listen to albums as a complete work, so you're right about that too.

The MD is, indeed, The Cowboy Junkies from a far off garage recording unearthed years later. My buddy Patrick is a musical journeyman at a young age having toured with the Horde Tour and done some sound work with Shania Twain amongst other dubious accomplishments. According to him the Calrec Ambisonic mic that was used in this session is a bit of a cult piece and still commands a ridiculous price. Whether you liked the music itself one would be hard pressed to deny the results especially considering that this was a one track/take kinda dealio.

Check out this linky for more info:http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/albums/...ff/index7.html

Credit Finchy for first correct response but it seems as if everyone got it pretty quickly. I'll hav eto dig deeper into my bag of obscurity next time.
    ...identifying the band on the MD? What? No prize? What kind of game is this? Hello! Is this thing on?

Swishdaddy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information