• 06-11-2013, 06:34 PM
    Smokey
    Music genre you don't care for
    I like to listen to every type of music genre except Jazz, Folk and Classical music.

I also like to listen to Classic Country and old school HipHop and R&B, but not what is out there currently. Pardon my language, but they suck :)
  • 06-12-2013, 04:27 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    I don't like rap in any way, shape or form. I don't like today's pop music. If someone is called a "Diva" you can be pretty sure that I won't like them. Rihanna, Beyoncé, Madonna etc. They're all to full of themselves.
  • 06-12-2013, 04:47 AM
    harley .guy07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I don't like rap in any way, shape or form. I don't like today's pop music. If someone is called a "Diva" you can be pretty sure that I won't like them. Rihanna, Beyoncé, Madonna etc. They're all to full of themselves.

I totally agree with you. And the fact that most of today's pop music and some hip hop artist don't even write their own songs, they purchase them from song writers and then most of the time the only people that get credit for the song in the general publics eye is the performer that did not even write it. Beyonce is very bad about doing this. I for the most part don't like any of this stuff anymore. I have been really into older rock albums from the 70's mostly and some in the 80's but even though I grew up in the era of hair metal I don't listen to too much of it because most of it the studio work it terrible and it seemed that some of it just plain sucked. I do like some of the most recent rock albums coming out from some of the artist that seem to stay out of the limelight some like Clutch and even some more metal stuff like Mastadon and that is all I can think of right now.
  • 06-12-2013, 05:37 AM
    Hyfi
    I don't care for most Female vocalists for reasons already mentioned.
    I don't care for Singer Songwriter genre
    I don't care for Whiny gloom and doom Country, but there is some Country-Rock I can tolerate
    I don't care for Rap or Hip Hop
    I don't care for most of the so called Rock since early 80s

What I do care for is Music, not Songs. If I could get a Karaoke version of most, I would.
    I like Classic Rock, Jazz-Fusion, Progressive Rock and a lot in between
    I can handle Classical that is not all over the place and has a melody or something one can actually follow
    Most of what I listen to on a regular basis has no vocals
  • 06-12-2013, 05:50 AM
    dean_martin
    My current approach to music is - a good song is a good song no matter the genre. The problem is I don't expose myself to current top 40 pop/hip hop so I could be wrong.

Smokey - a couple of jazz recommendations for you: Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue and the Charlie Brown Christmas album. Both are accessible and enjoyable, imo.
  • 06-12-2013, 06:24 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I like to listen to every type of music genre except Jazz, Folk and Classical music.

I also like to listen to Classic Country and old school HipHop and R&B, but not what is out there currently. Pardon my language, but they suck :)

Humm ... well, I listen mostly to Classical, with a wee bit of Jazz and World traditional thrown in.

Sorry but I can't stand Rock, Rap, and Hip Hop. Pop is a mind-numbing bore -- to my feeble mind anyway.
  • 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM
    Jim Clark
    I've become pretty indiecentric over the years. Most of the genres I don't care for have some exceptions. I assume there's nothing unique about that.

Don't care for country but Johnny Cash is the man.
    Don't care for Jazz but Miles Davis KOB and Dave Brubecks Take Five stand out.
    Don't care for R&B but Seal is a guy that I used to make an exception for.
    Don't care for Blues but RL Burnside made a couple of amazing albums.

I had an actual discussion recently where this gal couldn't believe I didn't like Taylor Swift. Since she hadn't heard of anybody I said I do like her retort was that Taylor Swift has sold more albums than all the bands I mentioned combined, which is probably accurate. I told her that McDonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone else but that I wasn't under the delusion that it was because it was the best hamburger out there. I'm sure she thinks I'm a complete prick.

jc
  • 06-12-2013, 06:44 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Charlie Brown Christmas album.

That is Smooth Jazz, not straight up Jazz and I did forget to mention I have a whole lot of GRP disks.
  • 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
    Smokey
    Thanks Jack, Feanor & Dean :)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I totally agree with you. And the fact that most of today's pop music and some hip hop artist don't even write their own songs, they purchase them from song writers and then most of the time the only people that get credit for the song in the general publics eye is the performer that did not even write it.

Well, that practice has been going on for ages especially in Pop and Country genra as it is not unique to today's music.Lets face it. Not everybody that can sing can also write music :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I don't care for most of the so called Rock since early 80s.

IMO some of best rock music came from 80's, especially from alternative venue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I had an actual discussion recently where this gal couldn't believe I didn't like Taylor Swift. Since she hadn't heard of anybody I said I do like her retort was that Taylor Swift has sold more albums than all the bands I mentioned combined, which is probably accurate. I told her that McDonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone else but that I wasn't under the delusion that it was because it was the best hamburger out there. I'm sure she thinks I'm a complete prick.

You shouldn't been so logical with a Taylor Swift fan :D
  • 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Lets face it. Not everybody that can sing can also write music :)

And, more importantly, not everyone who can write music can, or wants to, sing. Good songwriting is a real craft. And being a good singer and good songwriter do not always go hand in hand. Lots of songwriters have no desire to perform and spend their lives touring, so they sell their songs to those who do. I don't have a problem with people who don't write their own songs. I'd rather have a singer that I like sing someone else's good songs than their own crappy songs.

Now, back to the topic.

I've never heard a rap or hip hop song that I've wanted to hear twice.
    I don't like country music.
    I grew up listening to Opera and can't stand it! I like the music, just remove the vocals.
    I don't like Jazz or Fusion, or anything related to Jazz or Fusion such as Fusion Prog. Although I do like some soft Jazz.
    I don't like screaming or growling vocals.
  • 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'd rather have a singer that I like sing someone else's good songs than their own crappy songs.

That probably apply less to Rock/punk/metal than any other music genre.

If you go back to music history, one premise of rock bands was that they should write their own music and songs which was spearheaded by the Beatles :)
  • 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM
    MasterCylinder
    I grew up in a music household and my first college degree is in music, so I listen often and enjoy all music...............however :
    I am less fond of rap or hip hop and almost anything with a banjo, such as bluegrass.
    Everything else is great.
  • 06-14-2013, 05:36 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

IMO some of best rock music came from 80's, especially from alternative venue.

I would expect that from you since you don't like early Queen and probably the same for Genesis, Tull, Crimson and the rest of the bands that could never be bettered. Oh and by the way, wasn't the 80s the Disco Era?
  • 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Smokey probably thinks the Bee Gees are better than Queen. Maybe that's what he means by "alternative". The alternative to good rock is disco.
  • 06-14-2013, 07:36 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I would expect that from you since you don't like early Queen and probably the same for Genesis, Tull, Crimson and the rest of the bands that could never be bettered.

You don't know how true that is as I like later works by Genesis and Tull better than their earlier effort. JettroTull's later album Songs From The Woods is good example of music superiority over their earlier work.

Quote:

Oh and by the way, wasn't the 80s the Disco Era?
    No. By early 80's the disco craze was pretty much done. Punk music gets credit for killing it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Smokey probably thinks the Bee Gees are better than Queen. Maybe that's what he means by "alternative". The alternative to good rock is disco.

I like BeeGees. They have their share of few good songs :)

By alternative, I meant Alternative Rock which was prominent in the 80's. Groups like REM, Roxy Music, Simple Minds and The Psychedelic Furs comes to mind.
  • 06-15-2013, 04:08 AM
    RoyY51
    Quote:

Rap...if I want to hear black people yelling obscenities at me, I'll drive through Compton.
  • 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
    JoeE SP9
    There are several types of music that are generally unlistenable to me.
    Bluegrass (can't stand the vocals)
    Gospel/religious (don't believe in religion)
    Rap (can't stand the language or sentiments expressed)

Of course there are always exceptions, but in general the types I've listed don't get played at my house. I could have added smooth jazz but it's not really unlistenable it's just mostly boring. I'll also add any music by "musicians" who can't play very well. I'm interested in hearing quality not effort. A lot of grunge and punk comes under this category.
  • 06-15-2013, 10:06 PM
    Smokey
    Thanks JoeE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyY51 View Post
    Rap...if I want to hear black people yelling obscenities at me, I'll drive through Compton.

Isn't your neighbors obscenities at you enough for you :ciappa:
  • 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM
    3LB
    I won't listen to bands with Cookie Monster or Cobra Commander vocals.

I can't stand most mainstream country, though I do dig some alt-country.

I loathe lounge acts.

I don't listen to blues. I don't dislike the blues, but it gets old fast. A lot of mainstream jazz is the same way.

I don't like big band anything.

I don't like most dance-pop.

Almost every genre has its exceptions though and I try to be open-minded about a lot of music, but much of it I can take or leave.

What I won't do is set out to like a certain genre of music - I won't dutifully buy a particular genre. Prog is one of those genres that its fans are nearly religious about the bands.
  • 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM
    Rae
    How about genres you thought you didn't like but then it turned out that you did?

I never would've said I liked norteño (Mexican polka music) before discovering the films of Les Blank, but his two documentaries about the style, Del Mero Corazón and Chulas Fronteras, are seriously incredible. I fell hard. Ditto with cajun and zydeco music in his many, many films about Cajun culture, especially Always For Pleasure. I had an inkling that there might be some stuff that would resonate with me there but through my explorations spurred by those documentaries, I've found stuff like Clifton Chenier's 70s recordings that are now among the most beloved titles in my record collection.

I never would've thought that I could get into reggaeton either, until I started working with a Puerto Rican guy who shared some 90s marquesina tapes with me. Super raw. Those turned my conceptions of the genre inside-out and now I love a lot of it.

The last few years for me have really expanded my appreciation for synth and electro stuff, too. I was always kind of a rockist growing up but it's been fun to go back and color in all the different tastes that I passed over before-- the cold, the alien, the Euro, the Goth, the minimalist. All that has come from just sharing space with people who are enthusiastic about different stuff than I am, and I'm better for it.

I've kinda always loved a lot of rap and country and jazz and classical and folk and r&b and disco. Sorry guys. And gospel has the edge on almost any genre when it comes to passion and earnest sincerity. I mean, what else are you gonna sing about, love?

~Rae
  • 06-27-2013, 10:44 PM
    Rae
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyY51 View Post

Also, GTFO of here with this ignorant, racist bullsh. Yeesh.

~Rae
  • 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
    Swish
    That's the exact same analogy I've used many times.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

jc

I firmly believe that if too many people like something, it really can't be all that good. There are exceptions, of course, but I defer to the McDonald's hamburger analogy quite often.
  • 07-03-2013, 07:00 PM
    Pat D
    There is good and bad music in almost any genre. I mostly listen to Classical, but classical includes many genres. There are different ways of classifying them.

By Period: Ancient, Medieval Sacred and Secular, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, and so on.

By Type of music: such as symphony, orchestral, brass, concerto, chamber music, solo instrumental, classical songs, oratorio, opera (Italian, German, French, Russian, etc.), choral, requiem, and so on.

I like some folk or folk-like music, some jazz, some big band music, some rock, and some world music.

I don't generally like country, western, rap, disco (except for dancing), hard rock,
  • 07-06-2013, 05:12 PM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    Quote:

That probably apply less to Rock/punk/metal than any other music genre.

If you go back to music history, one premise of rock bands was that they should write their own music and songs which was spearheaded by BUDDY HOLLY:)

Rock & Roll's first singer/songwriter
  • 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer View Post
    Rock & Roll's first singer/songwriter

I see you changed my quote from Beatles to Buddy Holly LOL

He was definintely very influential. And as were Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis :)