Multichannel audio?

Printable View

• 09-04-2008, 06:55 AM
    jdeare
    Multichannel audio?
    Just wondering what the general opinion on multichannel audio is around here?

I finally have a system capable of playing multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio (and is ready for an upgrade to Blu-ray audio, should that happen), although I am still building the speaker array, so no actual experiments yet.

However, I'm finding that a lot of the material that was recommended a couple years ago is out of print now, so I'm wondering if it's really worthwhile to track these down (ex. T. Rex-Electric Warrior DVD-A). Do most of these multichannel discs also offer a stereo track?

I do have a few of the Rolling Stones hybrid SACDs, which are 2-channel only, and the Talking Heads Dualdisc Brick which I guess has some multichannel mixes on it. I plan to track down as many of the Stones SACDs as I can find, but I'm wavering on some of these others.

Is the general opinion that SACD and DVD-A are dead?
  • 09-04-2008, 07:29 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jdeare
    Just wondering what the general opinion on multichannel audio is around here?

:lol: Nobody "around here" knows. The Home Theater section would be a better place to ask this question, but I'll tell you from my own personal experiences that I won't be spending money on a DVD-A player because there just isn't enough out there to warrant the upgrade cost. My PS3 can play SACD's; I have a few titles, but the last time I was at BB (2-3 weeks ago) the selection of DVD-A music I like was slim to none.

Maybe that'll answer your questions...
  • 09-04-2008, 07:48 AM
    jdeare
    Yeah, I didn't get this player specifically for audio (Oppo 980H), I got it for upscaling DVDs. It just also happens to play SACD and DVD-A.

I probably won't pursue any other discs anyway. Everything I've read seems to indicate that both SACD and DVD-A are about dead.
  • 09-04-2008, 07:56 AM
    GMichael
    Unless you are into classical music or jazz, it's hard to find much available in MC. Blu-Ray may bring it back to some extent though. We'll see.
  • 09-04-2008, 03:18 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Unless you are into classical music or jazz, it's hard to find much available in MC. Blu-Ray may bring it back to some extent though. We'll see.

Ja. If T-Rex is indicative of your stylistic preferences it may not be a huge opportunity from the SACD standpoint. On the other hand, I suspect that we're getting ready to see Blu-Ray really expand multi-channel music options in modern genres.
  • 09-05-2008, 01:09 AM
    Slosh
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I suspect that we're getting ready to see Blu-Ray really expand multi-channel music options in modern genres.

Yeah, give me some HD Austin City Limits shows with lossless multi-channel and I'll buy a Blu-Ray player (Pioneer Elite) asaFp.

Super Furry Animals Love Kraft SACD is pretty good. Not my favorite album from them but it's the only non-fossil-rocker 5.1 SACD I own.

NP:
  • 09-06-2008, 06:15 AM
    jdeare
    While I'm not opposed to T. Rex, I only listed that one because it showed up on some website's list of best DVD-As. Now that it's out of print, it goes for like $100 on eBay... outrageous.

I did manage to score a SACD of Let It Bleed for $12.50 though.