PPG

MP3 disc of past Rave Rec comps

Hey guys, PwrPopDude here. I've gone MP3! Probably not a popular word on this forum, but what the hey - it's all about the music, right?. What I'm getting ready to do is burn an MP3 disc with as many Rave Rec comps I can squeeze on it, then will pop it into my DVD/CD/MP3 player on random mode for a while, on this beautiful Saturday afternoon. Starring the following comps:

Jeskifbuff's Speaker Demo Comp
    Troy's Trip comp
    Demetrio's Prog Gems, Vol. 6
    Demetrio's Prog Gems, Vol. 3
    ChipB's Rock Sampler (Jan. 01)
    RPM's Deep Cuts, Vol. 2 - Pop/Rock
    RPM's Jellyfish Boogie
    Mr. Midfi's 1980 Retro Comp
    allears' Wintery Mix
    CRSV6
    ChipB/JDaniel's Harpin' Comp
    3LockBox's AOR Classic Non-Hits
    1971 Retro Comp (not sure who did it)

Have any of you done any MP3 comps? Anyone up for a trade?

Forum Regular

1971 comp

I'm guilty if the 1971 comp,and I'd like a copy ot the mp3 disc.
    PLEASE, because it is about the music.
    Tony

PPG
    You got it, man. I'm listening to the disc right now, and it's cool. PM me with your address and I'll send you a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by PPG
    You got it, man. I'm listening to the disc right now, and it's cool. PM me with your address and I'll send you a copy.
    Rick - so how does it sound? I'm curious because I've just never given MP3s a chance. Not because I'm against them or anything - I just have too dang many cds, lps, comps etc. to fool with downloading MP3s.

I'd ask you for a trade, but the only thing I have to offer is a new Lyle Lovett comp called Gotta Lovett. And I'm pretty sure you aren't a LL fan. Besides, I still owe you a copy of your Mystery Comp from last summer which you asked me to send sometime. I haven't forgotten, I just haven't located it yet.

Seriously, don't worry about sending one. But I am interested in your opinion of the quality.

JD

PPG
    Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Rick - so how does it sound? I'm curious because I've just never given MP3s a chance. Not because I'm against them or anything - I just have too dang many cds, lps, comps etc. to fool with downloading MP3s.

I'd ask you for a trade, but the only thing I have to offer is a new Lyle Lovett comp called Gotta Lovett. And I'm pretty sure you aren't a LL fan. Besides, I still owe you a copy of your Mystery Comp from last summer which you asked me to send sometime. I haven't forgotten, I just haven't located it yet.

Seriously, don't worry about sending one. But I am interested in your opinion of the quality.

JD
    Hey Jeff, I actually haven't even thought about the Mystery Disc, so no sweat on that. As for the sound quality on MP3 tracks on disc: to my ears, it sounds fine for non-critical listening or listening in a car player when you don't wanna mess with changing discs. But that doesn't really answer your question: I'm very happy with the sound quality on my mid-fi system- it sounds as good as listening to a strong FM station, IMO, which is probably a fair assessment as FM is compressed, isn't it? Of course, the level of sound quality will depend on which level of compression you transfer the cd tracks to MP3 - I think I used 320kbs (studio quality). You should definitely try it out, I think you'll find any loss of sound quality trade-off for more songs is no big issue. As for this particular disc, I'll burn you one and send it to you for your review. .

As for the contents of the disc, I got 74 tracks on it from the following comps:

Jeskifbuff's Speaker Demo Comp
    Troy's Trip comp
    Demetrio's Prog Gems, Vol. 3
    ChipB's Rock Sampler (Jan. 01)
    allears' Wintery Mix
    ChipB/JDaniel's Harpin' Comp
    3LockBox's AOR Classic Non-Hits
    Skewiff's 1971 Retro Comp
    Tod H's Instrumental Grammys

An additional note, I'm listening to the comp now and a few minutes ago, On Every Street by Dire Straits was playing (from Jeskibuff's Speaker Demo comp) and the sound quality was excellent. I'll definitely be doing more of these. As for my player, I'm using a Zenith single-disc DVD player I paid $69 for yesterday at Circuit City - the thing rocks.
    Last edited by PPG; 03-21-2004 at 08:19 AM.

Thread Information