Forum Regular

Need help from the computer geeks here please

I am collecting those Pepsi caps for Trev to download songs from itunes or whatever it is, for free.

They allow up to 200 (!) free downloads per email addy.

But I can't figure how to make a cd from his downloads.

Can you make cdr's from downloaded stuff?

Do I have to have special software?

Thanks -

Dave

Forum Regular
    Dave,

Not 100% sure this is your answer but worth a shot. I just received an Apple Ipod and have downloaded burned CD's - try downloading the free Apple I-Tunes software - the latest version should be 4.2. Then when you get your songs they go into the I-Tunes library. From there you create a playlist (there is a playlist create icon) and from there the "Browse" icon becomes a "Burn CD" Icon. Apple stuff seems to work better with other Apple stuff.

I'm no computer geek but give it a shot.

Forum Regular

Thanks...

I just installed Roxio cd making software, but the files that we have downloaded don't show up as being available to use to burn.

Typically I should be able to simply "drag" the files from my hard drive into the cd maker software area, but the files don't show up when I search my system.

I wonder if these files are designed to only be able to "play".

Dave

Forum Regular
    Hmmm... OK - When you redeemed the winning Pepsi caps for songs - did you use I-Tunes software for the download? You can absolutely burn songs downloaded from I-Tunes
    to a CD. I think, but can be mistaken - the only format that cannot be utilized by I-Tunes are WMA files. The best place for I-Tune support is at the Apple site. Just go to the support area - they have pretty good FAQ and really top notch forum for I-Tunes. One last stupid question - are you using right operating platform for I-Tunes - they have an I-Tunes MAC and a Windows version.
    Good luck - don't give up.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I just installed Roxio cd making software, but the files that we have downloaded don't show up as being available to use to burn.

Typically I should be able to simply "drag" the files from my hard drive into the cd maker software area, but the files don't show up when I search my system.

I wonder if these files are designed to only be able to "play".

Dave
    I'm no expert, but I do know that your Roxio software should be able to convert mp3 files to WAV or WMA and burn them to CD. I assume that the downloaded files are mp3? If so, then perhaps it is a file attribute issue. I would suggest using Windows Explorer to navigate to the directory where the downloaded files are stored. Right-Click on one of the downloaded files and select "Properties". If the "Read Only" box is checked, then click the box to un-check it. Now check to see if it's become an available source file for the Roxio software.

Good Luck!

That's what I do...

Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    I'm no expert, but I do know that your Roxio software should be able to convert mp3 files to WAV or WMA and burn them to CD. I assume that the downloaded files are mp3? If so, then perhaps it is a file attribute issue. I would suggest using Windows Explorer to navigate to the directory where the downloaded files are stored. Right-Click on one of the downloaded files and select "Properties". If the "Read Only" box is checked, then click the box to un-check it. Now check to see if it's become an available source file for the Roxio software.

Good Luck!
    I bought a 3rd party Conversion program that converts MP3's to Wav's etc and vice versa. When I burn my CD's I convert the MP3's to Wav's make and save the compilations THEN burn em.

Da Worfster

If you have Itunes installed in your computer, there is a "Convert" feature in one of the pull down menus that will convert the song to any format you want. It will say "Convert to WAV" (or mp3 or AIFF). Change what it converts to under the preferences pulldown.

Itunes will burn mp3. Basically, if it shows up in itunes, it will burn.

Forum Regular

Cool, but...

My software does not recognize the itunes files as audio files.

In fact, I can't even use the explorer feature in the roxio software to find the itunes icon on my desktop.

I guess I have to fiddle around with it some more.

I have the roxio software at work and making a comp or whatever is easy, but I have 2 cdr drives there, here I have only one.

This music on the computer stuff is new to me, I have always used my stereo components to make cdr's, and have never made a cdr from files on my hard drive or off of the internet.

Thanks for the inputs, I'll keep at it!

Dave

re

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    My software does not recognize the itunes files as audio files.
    In fact, I can't even use the explorer feature in the roxio software to find the itunes icon on my desktop.
    I guess I have to fiddle around with it some more.
    I have the roxio software at work and making a comp or whatever is easy, but I have 2 cdr drives there, here I have only one.
    This music on the computer stuff is new to me, I have always used my stereo components to make cdr's, and have never made a cdr from files on my hard drive or off of the internet.
    Thanks for the inputs, I'll keep at it!
    Dave
    The others have all given correct advice, but maybe this will help.

Burning programs like Nero or Roxio etc, need wav files encoded at 44.1K/16 bit to make an audio disc. That's the standardization so that all discs are playable on all machines. (Your stand-alone machine does this all "under the hood"). If you have wav files that are encoded at a different bit rate or freq, they have to be converted first.... same with MP3's or any other file type, of which there are hundreds. Your I-tunes are not wavs... it would take way too long to download them (and kill many servers).

You simply have to convert your songs (files) to a 41K/16b "wav" type. There are hundreds of programs that do this... I'm not sure about Roxio (don't have it), but check the help menu for "convert" or "wav" first. Other common programs like MusicMatch will do this too. Plenty of freeware out there too. It's a pretty easy thing to do.

Then your Roxio will "recognize" the files as "OK", and let you drag them (shortcuts that is) in the explorer-type interface for setting up your burning/order menu.
    You don't know... jack

Thread Information