Forum Regular

ASIA concert dvd - Fantasia

I found this new release at borders yesterday for $14.99. I know the original band had been touring but they didn't come near here so I missed them, and never saw them "back in the day" either. Thank goodness for dvd's!

Anyhow, this is an excellent concert dvd. The video is excellent. None of that 100 MPH switching around and all that like some I have seen. The band is tight. Real tight. John Wetton, to me, is one of the best frontmen for a band. He has a great voice, not a slouch on the bass, and comes across very professionally. Carl Palmer on drums, what a powerhouse to say the least. Geoff Downes on keys, man he is good. And then of course Steve Howe on lead. Who wouldn't want him as your guitarist?

The songs are excellent. They play all the great ASIA songs with power and skill. Makes those old songs sound very fresh. They also play Roundabout (I'm sick of that song, they need to put that thing away)(but it was still good lol), In the Court of the Crimson King (hot), Video Killed the Radio Star (good), and more still yet even.

If you like ASIA then I highly recommend this dvd. Betcha a dollar you will like it a lot.

Dave

You know, I didn't think I'd want to see something like this but I've heard good things about it. Of course its always over at PE, and they never just like anything - its always the greatest thing they ever heard or seen.

Like you, I can't stand concert videos where the video editor tries to inflict his own 'artistic vision' on the subject. I haven't seen any boots of this turn up on YouTube yet, so I wondered who was buying it. There's some older "Asia" live stuff, but not with Downes or Howe.

I also don't need another pedestrian live version of Roundabout. Why not any other Yes song or Steve Howe song? I actually like Roundabout and listen to it all the way through every time I play the Fragile album. I'd love to hear Yes, or Asia, or anyone else give this song serious treatment or even a re-interpretation. But the three or four times I've seen Yes perform it live, they're playing the Glenn Campbell goodtime hour version of it. They should put it to bed.

If I see a copy of this for cheap I think I'll pick it up. I've seen footage of Wetton playing this live on YouTube, but I think he's with someone else, cuz I don't recognize anyone else he's playing with. Wetton still has a fine voice though.

Thanks for the review. I'll keep my glazzies peeled.

Thread Information