View Poll Results: most annoying Christmas tune?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Santa Claus is coming to Town - Bruce Sringsteen & co.

4 33.33%
  • Do They Know it's Christmas ("feed the world") - Bob Geldof et al

2 16.67%
  • Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - ? (who knows...who cares)

3 25.00%
  • Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney

3 25.00%

Most annoying Christmas tune?

FA's thread from last week got me wondering about what the most annoying Christmas song might be. I gave it some thought and searched the web, and I'm submitting the 4 songs posted on the poll. Please vote on the most annoying Christmas Tune…

P.S.: write-in suggestions welcome, and my sincere apologies for putting these wretched tunes into your head.

1) Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Sringsteen & co.
    2) Do They Know it's Christmas ("feed the world") - Bob Geldof et al
    3) Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer - ?
    4) Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney

I vote for number 1. Never liked Bruce much.
    As far as an add-on, not sure if you could call this a song but, I could do without the dogs barking Gingle Bells.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

all x-mas songs are most annoying
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Bruce for me too

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I vote for number 1. Never liked Bruce much.
    As far as an add-on, not sure if you could call this a song but, I could do without the dogs barking Gingle Bells.
    I agree on Bruce. I do like him in general but when I hear "Santa Claus is coming to town" I can't get away from the song quickly enough.

Nice call on the barking dogs, that one should surely be on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1

Nice call on the barking dogs, that one should surely be on the list!
    Not sure if it qualifies as a "song." But it sure qualifies as annoying.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

one in the making, might overtake Bruce's steaming pile of a song

The advertisment for Overstock.com where that smug women sings
    O O O the big big O, overstock dot com ..
    That one is really getting on my last nerve.

Little Drummer Boy!
    Cary Audio Designs SLP-05 Preamp [Sylvania 6SN7GTB]
    Cary Audio Designs CAD 500 Monoblocks
    Cary Audio Designs 303/300 HDCD [Mullard 12AU7s]
    Rotel RCD-1072 HDCD
    Luxman T117 Tuner
    Magnepan 3.6Rs
    JL Audio Fathom F110 subs

Any tune played by those automatic light/music strings!

Those all suck horribly, but my least favorite is "Jingle-cats" where the sampled cats meow the melody. Horrible. I hate xmas music.

I was at that very shot where Springsteen recorded that. Was right down front too. It ws a few days before xmas in 79 or 80 at Winterland. It was a load of fun at the time, but even I have heard it far too many times.

Musical lights:
    the old folks across the street had a string about 5 years ago. they would forget and leave them on overnihgt and they used to keep me up all night. I would go across the street and unplug them in my underwaer at 3 AM until one time I was so frustated that I tore half the string of lights down. They were gone the next day and have never returned . . .

Wow, I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I was at that very shot where Springsteen recorded that. Was right down front too. It ws a few days before xmas in 79 or 80 at Winterland. It was a load of fun at the time, but even I have heard it far too many times..
    That is a fairly cool claim-to-fame. I wonder how Bruce hisself feels about the song being so overplayed, probably the same way we do.
    Musical lights:
    the old folks across the street had a string about 5 years ago. they would forget and leave them on overnihgt and they used to keep me up all night. I would go across the street and unplug them in my underwaer at 3 AM until one time I was so frustated that I tore half the string of lights down. They were gone the next day and have never returned . . .
    Nothing to do with Christmas, but your story reminded me about this rooster in our neighbors yard when I was growing up in Queens NY. It used to start crowing very early in the AM. Being heavy sleepers none of my family ever heard the thing, except my Dad who it used to drive absolutely INSANE. One morning he went outside at about 6AM armed with a broom intent on killing the thing. He cornered it across the street in a driveway took a mighty swing, missed the rooster and ended up on his ass. He came back home with his proverbial tail between his legs and a very sore butt. Valuable lesson learned.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoFenderBender
    Little Drummer Boy!
    I'm with you on this one. I have yet to hear a version of this song that doesn't make me want to go all Spinal Tap on the first drummer I see (and I'm married to one! ).

As for the poll, I have to go with Do They Know It's Christmas. For so many reasons....

hhmmm

I can prolly think of numorous Christmas songs that are far worse than these.

But I'll go with Sir Paul's just cuz he's annoying no matter what he does; singing, speaking, you name it. I imagine he'd score high on many 'most annoying song of all time' lists. Wait, come to think of it, he does (Ebony and Ivory / The Girl is Mine).

I really don't agree with Bruce's though, and I'm not a big Boss fan anyway. I'd rather listen to it than at least 20 or 30 others.

one time I was so frustated that I tore half the string of lights down. They were gone the next day and have never returned . . .
    Tell us that story when you do that to an ex-wrestler or football player's house

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Christmas tunes are, by their very nature, horrid. They stick! I hate when songs do that! :ralf:

Write-in vote for "Santa Baby" -- a current least-favourite.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Tell us that story when you do that to an ex-wrestler or football player's house
    I pays to know who your neighbors are . . .

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I vote for this rendition of Oh Holy Night by, well, I dunno and don't want to...get's really aweful towards the end.

http://www.deathrays.net/audio-jc/holynight.mp3

42 Regular
    I can't believe this one is actually open to discussion. It's a slam-dunk choice for me...#4. That one truly belongs in the "Worst Songs of ALL TIME" category, not just holiday jingles.

As for the Springsteen tune, it's not the song's fault that it's overplayed.

Has anyone seen that Miller Lite ad on TV with the Xmas lights synched to some prog-metal instrumental (Trans-Siberian Orch, I think)? It's actually pretty cool.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I can't believe this one is actually open to discussion. It's a slam-dunk choice for me...#4. That one truly belongs in the "Worst Songs of ALL TIME" category, not just holiday jingles.

As for the Springsteen tune, it's not the song's fault that it's overplayed.

Has anyone seen that Miller Lite ad on TV with the Xmas lights synched to some prog-metal instrumental (Trans-Siberian Orch, I think)? It's actually pretty cool.
    Its very cool! Check out Finch's post - Best Christmas Lights ever which has a link to the whole song and light show!

Also, have you seen the Bud Light horses having a snowball fight? Commercial of the year cause the wise old horses come out ahead!

Snowie

Here's where I post my favorite xmas song:

http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html

Here's where I post my favorite xmas song:

http://www.americanangst.com/dingfries.html
    I told you that you bloody cheat!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Thread Information