Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Michael Jackson...respect?

So what is everyone's opinion on whether or not there will ever be an ounce of respect for Michael Jackon? I mean, will there ever be a moment again when we aren't ashamed to dust off our copy of Thiller and pop it in for a few spins?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I can listen to the music no problem at all - hit any club in any city and you're likely to hear Billy Jean or something by him still...
    Think he'll always have some respect, in that regard.
    The rest of the crap, well...I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he dude is more than a bit creepy.

I gotta respect him for his talent. And I have no problem with listening to his music. Popping in one of his CD's is a good way to start up a conversation too.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    By "clubs", you mean "strip clubs", right?

And by "respect", you mean "mock derision", right?

Never really much cared for him (don't own any of his albums), stopped caring about him completely after "Black or White". "Thriller" was a good video, though.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    By "clubs", you mean "strip clubs", right?

And by "respect", you mean "mock derision", right?

Never really much cared for him (don't own any of his albums), stopped caring about him completely after "Black or White". "Thriller" was a good video, though.
    What the hell kind of strip clubs do you go to???

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Dusty's going to the Captain Kangaroo-a-go-go...

I guess his music isn't horrible for background noise, and I like the guest shots with Slash and Steve Stevens ('ole Chrysanthymum-head) but, frankly, I'd rather drink urine from a shoe than be trapped in a room with the guy. Yech.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

He'll always get respect by those who are into the history of pop music and pop culture. The man practically owned the airwaves for about three years, and there was no entertainer even close to his superstar status. Sell-out concerts, number-one hits, zillions in ablum sales, Pepsi commercials, Disney contracts, etc.

But in the end, he's a tragic footnote, and based on his performance in the past ten years, he deserves about as much respect as former pop-superstar Cat Stevens who abandoned reality to lend support to Iran's Ayatolah Komanie and the fatwa against Salmon Rushdie. When people switch off thier brains, they deserve disrespect.

What Barry said.

Some of the Jackson 5 material is classic. ABC is an amazing pop song.

I've never owned a MJ album tho. In his heyday you didn't need to, it was everywhere, whether you wanted to hear it or not. I had heard enough really early on.

I'll never want to play a MJ album. But if you want to listen to Thriller, knock yourself out. There's no reason to be ashamed of listening to anything. Just because you listen to a Michael Jackson album doesn't make you a child molester. Listening to Clapton doesn't make you a junkie. Listening to Elton John doesn't make you gay, listening to Billy Joel doesn't make you a boorish drunk. It's just music. Enjoy yourself.

Forum Regular
    Michael Jackson, solo and with the Jackson 5, is responsible for what is in my view (and I'm not expressing too radical of an opinion here) some of the greatest pop music ever made. Those Jackson 5 singles and much of the material on Michael's first two solo albums have few peers. Hello?: "I Want You Back", "ABC", "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough", "Billie Jean", etc. And there are some flashes of greatness in the later stuff even. I really try to separate my views of the art from that of the artist -- some people I know have a harder time with that than I seem to, so I can see the contrary view.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    You haven't lived until you've seen ...oh, what was her name? I forget...wasn't her real name, anyway...where was I? Oh yeah, Smooth Criminal I think it was. And she could do that loose body wave thing...(drifts off)...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

You haven't lived until you've seen ...oh, what was her name? I forget...wasn't her real name, anyway...where was I? Oh yeah, Smooth Criminal I think it was. And she could do that loose body wave thing...(drifts off)...
    I can just imagine Honey dancing to Heal the World, or Luscious performing to Remember The Time...

Well, it beats the typical Kickstart My Heart or Youth Gone Wild acts...

Mutant from table 9
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. I bought MJ's last three records. Let's see there was Justified, then Goodies, and most recently FutureSex/LoveSounds. For some reason the liberal Hollywood elite insist on pretending that Ciara and Timberlake made those records. But they can't fool me. I know an MJ record when I hear one.

Mike might be flying his freak flag with all he's got, but Smooth Criminal has enough funk (or "smelly jelly" in creepy MJ speak) to make Chuck Manson look like an honorary Beach Boy.

Hey everyone...

Thanks for making this post a highly interesting read. It's always a cool thing to see something you start turn into an thread full of some fine reading.

I listen to alot of MJ mostly because it's incredibly well recorded material and makes my speakers sing like crazy. I have the gold HIStory CD set and dang....Billy Jean never sounded better!!!! One of my best friends came over and I played it for him and the snap of the drum beat almost knocked him over...he couldn't believe it!!!

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    One of my best friends came over and I played it for him and the snap of the drum beat almost knocked him over...he couldn't believe it!!!

However, I can see how this could turn out to have unexpected implications:

Peru: "Hey man, you wanna come over and listen to some MJ with me?"

Friend: "Umm... what are you asking me, man?"

Listening to the MJ music I have can give me a lot of pleasure. His pop music has to be rated somewhere up there with the best ever recorded. The music is separate from the "man". I wouldn't let my pet monkey hang out with him.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    ...listening to Billy Joel doesn't make you a boorish drunk.
    No, but clinical tests have proven it deteriorates the lining inside your skull.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I wouldn't let my pet monkey hang out with him.
    Would you spank him if he did?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    . . .but, frankly, I'd rather drink urine from a shoe than be trapped in a room with the guy. Yech.
    hehehe

ps- you might want to keep your fetishes to yourself
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Listening to his music is a lot like watching a movie..

..that features Ben Affleck or Sean Penn. Just kinda gives you the creeps.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    hehehe

ps- you might want to keep your fetishes to yourself
    ...and this coming from a guy with that sig?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I still listen to MJ...Heartbreak Hotel (This place is) is a great song and no one...I mean no one...could dance like Mike...forget the moonwalk...I'm talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiF_KO1sLNs

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    ...no one...I mean no one...could dance like Mike...
    I don't know -- James Brown had some pretty smooth moves. There's a lot of carp on YouTube if you search on James Brown, but the opening sequence to this gives you a taste of his abilities. Methinks that if there was no James Brown, there wouldn't have been no Michael Jackson.

Also, did you ever catch Prince in the middle of "Little Red Corvette"? Admittedly, it's only for a couple seconds, but they're a couple of mindblowing seconds. He makes it look so easy -- like one of Jimi's licks between lines of a song.

L, even Hammer was a better dancer -- MHO (although, admittedly, a little worse with his finances -- we'll see if that's the case in the long run).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Hey, you don't need to tell me about Prince:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFqoL...related&search=

evidently, Prince was a tad influenced by JB as well.

I don't know -- James Brown had some pretty smooth moves. There's a lot of carp on YouTube if you search on James Brown, but the opening sequence to this gives you a taste of his abilities. Methinks that if there was no James Brown, there wouldn't have been no Michael Jackson.

Also, did you ever catch Prince in the middle of "Little Red Corvette"? Admittedly, it's only for a couple seconds, but they're a couple of mindblowing seconds. He makes it look so easy -- like one of Jimi's licks between lines of a song.

L, even Hammer was a better dancer -- MHO (although, admittedly, a little worse with his finances -- we'll see if that's the case in the long run).
    I saw Prince on Saturday Night Live last season. He laid down some licks from his last CD that blew me away. I knew he could write sing and play. I didn't know he could PLAY!!!!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    I believe THRILLER is a great pop album and that MJ has done nothing since.
    I also believe that any "respect" of that same album should be targeted toward Quincy Jones; MJ was simply one of the tools Jones utilized to get the work done.

I "respect" MJ for his abibilty to perform -- singing and dancing.

As for his personal life, I think he is a sick piece of shyt; I'll bet $100 that the guy was sexually abused as a child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information