Dumb I am and a weak one too
    A simpleton my wool worn loose
    Once all the filthy flies I free
    And there they go nothing I can do

Dumb I am and a long day dream
    A simpleton with a memory
    A home prepared and a feast as well
    But all will spoil with the lies I tell

Hey, anyone else heard the new Nina Nastasia? I've a feeling that little ditty (oops, is that one of those dreaded oxymorons?) is destined to open Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer this year. Good stuff, beautiful recording by Albini again. Really knows how to treat her right. Some great musicians and nice tunes, don't know if she's thrown together a better set yet. Lots of piano and cello and acoustic guitar on this one. And Jim White on drums. Quality package, even down to the well-considered, quality paper lyric book with die cut rounded corners. Been on repeat a lot the last few weeks at my place. A real grower, at least for those of you that think a bit like me, heaven forbid, it can happen, but sometimes you can't help it. Yummm, goes real nice with one of those fat Bass Pale Ales, that goes real nice with just about anything. Yea, mass market brew, but one of the better. Celebrates the English Fat Cat label this one came out on.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I don't drink beer and I don't know the CD that you're talking about, but I figured if someone didn't pity click this post soon, you would delete it.

threadjacking

Saw a bit of Calexico on ACL on the PBS HD channel last night and they were just great, as expected. Even had Iron & Wine join 'em for a few songs from In The Reins. Really hope this one finds its way to DVD soon.

My friend had a case of Butt Monkey ale. Stupid name, I know, but tasty.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I searched for Nina Nastasia on LaunchCast and did, indeed, find her biography. When trying to check out a tune on her Fan Radio, they just kept playing songs by Yo La Tengo, Phoenix, Belle & Sebastian, Grandaddy, and Sarah Harmer...same artists over and over. For like a half an hour I kept clicking the forward button with no instructive result. So, I can't say she's a fave, but it isn't for a lack of trying. It's now almost become a mission to hear this lady...

Don't know anything about Butt Monkey Ale, but I did once drink a scotch called Old Sheep's Dip which tasted alot like it's name.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    So, I can't say she's a fave, but it isn't for a lack of trying. It's now almost become a mission to hear this lady...
    Wow, I'm impressed with your perseverance. Rest assured it will be an honorable mission, one fraught with obstacles, but one with ample rewards. I used to comp her some back when we traded a lot, and there used to be a few fans here, but they're mostly gone now. Might just be me. But here's a couple tidbits to start your journey, the first from her Run to Ruin, and the second from probably her best and my favorite, The Blackened Air. Her debut Dogs is also very nice, again with beautiful sound. The new one is on 180gm vinyl too.

Superstar - 3.8 MB

This Is What It Is - 2.9 MB

And you can listen to much of the new one at her new label, though not the song I mentioned in my post. I'd say listen to "One Old Woman", but that's not there either ...

http://fat-cat.co.uk/fatcat/release.php?id=197

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Saw a bit of Calexico on ACL on the PBS HD channel last night and they were just great, as expected. Even had Iron & Wine join 'em for a few songs from In The Reins. Really hope this one finds its way to DVD soon.

My friend had a case of Butt Monkey ale. Stupid name, I know, but tasty.
    Butt Monkey, eh? I'll have to look up a picture

Hey, I saw that Calexico too, and they were hot. That slide guitar guy is pretty damned good, huh! Did you see Sufjan Stevens before Calexico? Man, I thought that was one of the best ACL shows I've seen in this new modern music format. I was a bit ambivalent before, but what a charming group of artists. All wearing these colorful butterfly wings, even all the men and women in the orchestra. At first sight I thought it was something goofy like the Flaming Lips do, but by the time the first song ended it just seemed perfect. Kind of enchanting, and the first couple songs were totally mesmerizing. Great show.
    Last edited by Davey; 11-05-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Caught the last couple of songs from the SS set. Sounded pretty good. No SS albums here and didn't get butterfly wings thing, but what do I know?

Went to the record store yesterday with nothing in mind and it was one of the very few times I came away empty handed. No Wovenhand, Lilium, or even Clinic (which I probably won't buy anyway until I hear a few tracks first).

NP: that Califone comp you made once upon a time (really! )
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Caught the last couple of songs from the SS set. Sounded pretty good. No SS albums here and didn't get butterfly wings thing, but what do I know?
    Yeah, probably have to catch the beginning to really feel the goofy love. The opening instrumental is outstanding, with the mini-orchestra reaching for a big climax. Followed by "Casimir Pulaski Day", one of his more popular songs now. Just seemed so well done, very impressive. Everyone was so on, and seemed full of excitement. Really contagious.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Thanks fo rthe samples Davey, that's good stuff. This will eventually make my system very happy.

Is it just me or did her enunciation of hard vowels remind anyone else of Over The Rhine?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Is it just me or did her enunciation of hard vowels remind anyone else of Over The Rhine?
    Hadn't really thought of it, but maybe. Probably overall a bit closer to Gillian Welch, but not as country. A little more metropolitan, but still with an Appalachian feel, darker, quieter, and I guess more mysterious. Occasionally I'm reminded of Jennifer Warnes in the voice, but then it's gone. No real similarity to her in the music. That "Superstar" song reminds me some of Hope Sandoval with Mazzy Star. But she is one of those singers that seems to leave part of the interpretation up to the listener, and so it becomes kind of personal in a way. And gives it some of that mystery. Like she's not quite telling you the whole story, sometimes just fragments. Hard to explain, really, but I like it, a lot. This new one is very good, but like the others, it did take a while to get there.

C-Z
    Forum Regular
    Oh yeah - Superstar defintely reminds me of Hope Sandoval. And Mazzy Starr is in pretty regular rotation in my car when I drive my girls around.

I don't recall any of her (Nina's) stuff on your old comps, at least on the handful that I have.

Yikes, I am starting to like most of the music you are recommending these days, Davey. Time to take two Porky Trees and see my shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Z
    Yikes, I am starting to like most of the music you are recommending these days, Davey. Time to take two Porky Trees and see my shrink.
    Could be a lot worse. I could be Jim Clark. Hehehe, you don't think he'll read this, do you? Nah, I think he's too busy lately with his new "audiophile" Ramones records.

NP: Woven Hand Blush Music. Cause sometimes music is all you need. Nice stuff. Not a rec, just some music I love.

Thread Information