• 10-23-2005, 10:02 AM
    J*E*Cole
    Mer De Noms, or, Thirteenth Step?
    The more I listen to A Perfect Circle, the more I realize how damn good they are. But I was wondering, for you APC fans out there, and I know you are out there, which one's the best? Of course, I think they're both brilliant, but for me it's Mer De Noms, especially "The Hollow", that one really rocks, and so does Brena. But most of my peeps say "Thirteenth Step" is the more refined of the two. I think 13th Step is more progressive and more diverse, but definitely not as refined, or as complex as Mer De Noms. Anyhoo, let's do a little APC... What do you think???
  • 10-23-2005, 02:13 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J*E*Cole
    The more I listen to A Perfect Circle, the more I realize how damn good they are. But I was wondering, for you APC fans out there, and I know you are out there, which one's the best? Of course, I think they're both brilliant, but for me it's Mer De Noms, especially "The Hollow", that one really rocks, and so does Brena. But most of my peeps say "Thirteenth Step" is the more refined of the two. I think 13th Step is more progressive and more diverse, but definitely not as refined, or as complex as Mer De Noms. Anyhoo, let's do a little APC... What do you think???

I'll have to defer my answer until next week. I love Thirteenth Step, but I just bought Mer De Noms yesterday and haven't had a chance to spin it. Stay tuned....
  • 10-23-2005, 03:27 PM
    3-LockBox
    I own Mer de Noms
    I was ambivelant about it at first, since its a much more mainstream approach than I was expecting, but I've grown to like it over the past few weeks. I have been eye-ballin' 13th Step though...maybe I should grab it (the CD).
  • 10-23-2005, 08:23 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Mer de Noms -- I love Thirteenth Step, but Mer de Noms was just a great debut.

There's also the covers album, which I know FA doesn't like, but I love -- I would go for that first if you wanted to hear some different covers.
  • 10-24-2005, 06:17 AM
    Duds
    tough call
    I can't say i like one better than the other. Both are great in my opinion. Brena is my fave tune on Mer.

Some people think 13th step is boring, but I couldnt disagree more. it's a solid album from start to finish.

Quote:

• 10-24-2005, 09:23 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Being a bass player, I have to give the nod to 13th Step. It's hard to find stuff that's interesting to listen to from a bass players standpoint and 13th Step delivers the goods!
  • 10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
    J*E*Cole
    But what about TOOL?
    I remember that Mer De Noms was immediately impressive, and just flowed right off the bat, but it took me awhile to get to like 13th Step, but it's definitely now one of my favs. But for a debut, MDN is just brilliant, and I swear I still discover new stuff each time I listen to it. BTW, how about TOOL? I know the common thread is Maynard James Keenan, but don't you think they're quite similar? I know TOOL is just a little harder all the way around, but APC seems more refined or honed. Anyhoo, the song Aenema off of TOOL's album of the same name is just a w e s o m e !!! Man nobody is safe from that one. I remember when I saw TOOL back in '03 or 4 I can't remember, but I do know I was like 3 feet away from the biggest mosh pit I have ever seen.
  • 10-24-2005, 09:02 PM
    3-LockBox
    I bought Tool and APC at the same time
    Quote:

I remember that Mer De Noms was immediately impressive, and just flowed right off the bat, but it took me awhile to get to like 13th Step, but it's definitely now one of my favs. But for a debut, MDN is just brilliant, and I swear I still discover new stuff each time I listen to it. BTW, how about TOOL? I know the common thread is Maynard James Keenan, but don't you think they're quite similar? I know TOOL is just a little harder all the way around, but APC seems more refined or honed.

To me, APC's Mer de Noms sounded more 'mainstream' than anything from Tool I've heard. Maybe that's what you mean by 'refined'.

But then again, Tool's Lateralus is way different from their Aenima album. Lateralus is much more 'progressive metal' oriented, while Aenima is definately edgier, alternative-rock/nu-metal sounding. I prefer Lateralus compared to all of the above (all were purchased around the same time frame).

But if FA likes 13th Step, maybe I need to indulge myself.
  • 10-25-2005, 04:04 AM
    Duds
    Tool rulz
    My favorite band, and imo the best band out there. They keep reinventing themselves with each album, and if you listen to Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus, in that order, you will see what I mean. I think Undertow doesnt get mentioned much on this board because its quite a bit heavier than Aenima and Lateralus, but still an awesome cd.

Also a great live band, cant wait for the new one to come out and a nice long tour.

There was talk of a live dvd too, but havent heard much about that lately

Quote:

I remember that Mer De Noms was immediately impressive, and just flowed right off the bat, but it took me awhile to get to like 13th Step, but it's definitely now one of my favs. But for a debut, MDN is just brilliant, and I swear I still discover new stuff each time I listen to it. BTW, how about TOOL? I know the common thread is Maynard James Keenan, but don't you think they're quite similar? I know TOOL is just a little harder all the way around, but APC seems more refined or honed. Anyhoo, the song Aenema off of TOOL's album of the same name is just a w e s o m e !!! Man nobody is safe from that one. I remember when I saw TOOL back in '03 or 4 I can't remember, but I do know I was like 3 feet away from the biggest mosh pit I have ever seen.

• 10-25-2005, 05:43 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    But if FA likes 13th Step, maybe I need to indulge myself.

Definately indulge. You won't be sorry. I loved Thirteenth Step from the first listen. And now that I've spun Mer De Noms a few times I'm better equipped to give an opinion.

I'm listening to Thirteenth Step as I type this and I have to say that the two albums are very different from each other. Mer is definately a harder, more metal album. Thirteenth Step is made up of softer songs, but the intruments still maintain a very heavy edge. It's the vocals that soften this one up a little, I think. Think of PT a la Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun. They don't sound the same, but it's that same sort of soft Steve Wilson vocal over music that just RAWKS!

I'm in agreement with Duds and N.Absentia. Thirteenth Step is, IMHO, far from boring. It's the softer vocal tones mixed with the in-your-face bass and heavy guitar that make this album so interesting. And let's not leave out...some excellent drumming. In fact, I just had to turn down my sub-woofer so as not to disturb the neighbours. :D (I don't know why I'm so nice. I hate them. They wouldn't do the same for me :mad: ).

I really think that you'll like Thirteenth Step 3LB. In fact, knowing your prog tendencies, I'll bet that you'll come to like it more than Mer De Noms.

As for the original question, Mer De Noms is a great album, but after three spins of Mer De Noms, I would have to say that I prefer Thirteenth Step. But, that could also come from familiarity. My opinion could change as I spend more time with Mer Do Noms.

Bottom line...both are excellent and I thank the folks here who turned me on to Mer De Noms. I also purchased Lateralus at the same time but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. It will be my very first experience with Tool. I'll let you know how it goes...
  • 10-25-2005, 06:04 AM
    Duds
    Hey FA - your comment about the drumming was right on. You should see Josh Friese in concert. Man he pounds!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Definately indulge. You won't be sorry. I loved Thirteenth Step from the first listen. And now that I've spun Mer De Noms a few times I'm better equipped to give an opinion.

I'm listening to Thirteenth Step as I type this and I have to say that the two albums are very different from each other. Mer is definately a harder, more metal album. Thirteenth Step is made up of softer songs, but the intruments still maintain a very heavy edge. It's the vocals that soften this one up a little, I think. Think of PT a la Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun. They don't sound the same, but it's that same sort of soft Steve Wilson vocal over music that just RAWKS!

I'm in agreement with Duds and N.Absentia. Thirteenth Step is, IMHO, far from boring. It's the softer vocal tones mixed with the in-your-face bass and heavy guitar that make this album so interesting. And let's not leave out...some excellent drumming. In fact, I just had to turn down my sub-woofer so as not to disturb the neighbours. :D (I don't know why I'm so nice. I hate them. They wouldn't do the same for me :mad: ).

I really think that you'll like Thirteenth Step 3LB. In fact, knowing your prog tendencies, I'll bet that you'll come to like it more than Mer De Noms.

As for the original question, Mer De Noms is a great album, but after three spins of Mer De Noms, I would have to say that I prefer Thirteenth Step. But, that could also come from familiarity. My opinion could change as I spend more time with Mer Do Noms.

Bottom line...both are excellent and I thank the folks here who turned me on to Mer De Noms. I also purchased Lateralus at the same time but haven't had a chance to spin it yet. It will be my very first experience with Tool. I'll let you know how it goes...

• 10-25-2005, 06:11 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Duds
    Hey FA - your comment about the drumming was right on. You should see Josh Friese in concert. Man he pounds!!!

APC played here a couple of years ago and I really, really wanted to go. But, as is my usual problem, I couldn't find anyone to go with.

I think y'all need to move to Toronto. None of my friends here share my great taste in music. ;)
  • 10-25-2005, 06:25 AM
    Duds
    I often go to shows by myself, I still have a good time!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    APC played here a couple of years ago and I really, really wanted to go. But, as is my usual problem, I couldn't find anyone to go with.

I think y'all need to move to Toronto. None of my friends here share my great taste in music. ;)

• 10-26-2005, 09:09 AM
    3db
    Don't forget about "I Mother Earth"
    I own two of their CD's as well as the two mentioned APC albums and laterus by Tool.

Out of all of them Tool is my favourite. I would place APC next and finally I Mother Earth in order of most to least liked.
  • 10-27-2005, 04:15 AM
    Duds
    Peach
    Any Tool fans should check out the band Peach. The bass player for Tool, Justin Chancellor, was in Peach before joining Tool. Tool's been known to cover some of Peach's songs in concert, one of my favorites is "You Lied."

The cd that I have is called Giving Birth To A Stone. It's a pretty interesting cd, they even do King Crimson's "Cat Food"

Check it out if you havent already

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3db
    I own two of their CD's as well as the two mentioned APC albums and laterus by Tool.

Out of all of them Tool is my favourite. I would place APC next and finally I Mother Earth in order of most to least liked.