Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maybe its time we cut Britney Spears some slack

or this dude will show up on your doorstep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTrOjb15fY

I thinks that's a girl..anywho, she has a valid point...that nobody cares
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    You been readin SOHH again?

I swear I had that one saved for a special occasion--classic degeneration American style. Here's a few more to fuel the fire:

http://bricksandstonesgossip.com/wp-...07112836am.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BP4RG4hty...elated&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=icRUMHStWtM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cY_QDvS1amY

no, it's a man, and he needs a life...

... he desperately needs a life...
    he's sick

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    What Is This Society Coming To!!!

Lots of people put on a few pounds as time goes on, especially after having a couple kids. But, I don't think it's a great idea for them to strut around stage in their underwear. As far as her performance? I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe she was sick. But it's time for her to put some clothes on. She's not attractive with those extra pounds.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    She's not attractive with those extra pounds.
    Yikes, that makes like about 99% of the female population unattractive to you????? I mean, I find her kind of unattractive because of the obviously fake boobs, and the drugged out eyes, and the below normal intelligence, but not because she has a womanly body with some curves in the right places. But sure, a few years ago she was some serious eye candy.

As far as her performance? I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe she was sick. But it's time for her to put some clothes on. She's not attractive with those extra pounds.
    Nothin shocking here, her performance was just a notch below where it usually is. It still had all the elements of a Britney Spears performance. Let's see: lip-syncing...check; predictable, hackish choreography...check; tacky appearance...check; over processed vocals...check. Its just that now its trendy to cut her down, rather than uber hype her. Remember, the entertainment media were the ones pushing Britney as the next Madonna, based on what? Talent? No. She was a pretty blond with a great (if not surgically enhanced) body. She never could sing or dance very well anyway, so the media doesn't deserve any credit for telling us now what we already knew.

It's ironic actually, that this happened just weeks after Elvis's death anniversary. Like Elvis, Britney, also a rube and a hick, surrounds herself with yes-men and flunkies - people who wouldn't dare attempt to give her sound advise, because if they 'wise her up', she might begin to realize how many leeches she has attached to her. Its the reason why no one ever told Elvis he couldn't consume pharmasuticals like they were pez. You'd think Elvis would be an object lesson for a fellow southerner like Spears, but no, she's gone down that same path, only faster. At least she has time to go back to Louisianna and take up housekeeping, where ten years from now we might find her volunteering in her kids' school, rather than slumped over a toilet in a red, crushed velvet bathroom.

Let's face it, MTV prolly knew she was going to bomb and let her flounder, cuz its the thing to do in pop culture. MTV puts on all those 'I Love the '80s' specials and pokes fun of the very culture they helped perpetuate, like they're soooo much better than that now. They couldn't get enough Micheal Jackson back in the day, but now they mock him and his fans, as if it were someone else that had kept him propt up all those years. MTV prolly shoulda done Spears a favor and cut that performance, but they rellished it. The entertainment media had to sit by and watch the tabloids pull train after train on her for the last few years and they wanted their turn. Hell, they're going so far as to call her fat, using terms like lard and tubby - just what a teenage girl should read and hear, that someone who looks like Spears after two kids is a fatass. Maybe the same clowns will follow up their reports on Spears' obesity with an expose on teenage bulemia. Lisenced idiots.

Ahhh...pop culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Yikes, that makes like about 99% of the female population unattractive to you????? I mean, I find her kind of unattractive because of the obviously fake boobs, and the drugged out eyes, and the below normal intelligence, but not because she has a womanly body with some curves in the right places. But sure, a few years ago she was some serious eye candy.
    But those 99% don't run (ok, she was helped up) up on stage in their underwear to shake their stuff for cash.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

But those 99% don't run (ok, she was helped up) up on stage in their underwear to shake their stuff for cash.
    OK, now it's making more sense, you don't like women in their underwear either

Your post, spin it however you like, but surely you understand that's different than what you said, saying she's unattractive because of a few extra pounds, which only gives her a more "normal" body in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    OK, now it's making more sense, you don't like women in their underwear either

Your post, spin it however you like, but surely you understand that's different than what you said, saying she's unattractive because of a few extra pounds, which only gives her a more "normal" body in my view.
    Sorry, didn't mean to spin anything. Just explaining what I meant.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Lots of people put on a few pounds as time goes on, especially after having a couple kids. But, I don't think it's a great idea for them to strut around stage in their underwear. As far as her performance? I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe she was sick. But it's time for her to put some clothes on. She's not attractive with those extra pounds.
    I, for one, thought that she looked pretty damn good for someone who's had two kids. Hell, she looked good for someone who hasn't had two kids.

So she's not the hard body that she once was. She's hardly "let herself go". Her performance may have sucked (how is that any different from the past?), but for god's sake SHE'S NOT FAT!

No wonder these young actresses end up drug and/or alcohol addicts. Sh!t, I'd spend my days getting stoned too if I had to live with that kind of pressure.

The media should just back off. I'd like to see any one of her critics in a bikini (those in glass houses...). The guy in the you tube video is a freak, but I (sadly) understand where's he's coming from.

Most women I know would love to have her body. And damn straight I'd wear a bikini if I did!
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 09-13-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    It's ironic actually, that this happened just weeks after Elvis's death anniversary. Like Elvis, Britney, also a rube and a hick, surrounds herself with yes-men and flunkies - people who wouldn't dare attempt to give her sound advise, because if they 'wise her up', she might begin to realize how many leeches she has attached to her. Its the reason why no one ever told Elvis he couldn't consume pharmasuticals like they were pez. You'd think Elvis would be an object lesson for a fellow southerner like Spears, but no, she's gone down that same path, only faster. At least she has time to go back to Louisianna and take up housekeeping, where ten years from now we might find her volunteering in her kids' school, rather than slumped over a toilet in a red, crushed velvet bathroom.
    You just had to go and drag the King into this. Different times (when Elvis was growing up more doctors preferred Camels than any other brand), different circumstances and different talent levels. "Rubes and hicks", as you refer to southerners, didn't invent the pop/rock star death-by-overdose phenomenon. Don't lay that at the King's feet, son.

Sorry
    ???

Just goofing around on a music board on a slow thursday, listening to some Three Mile Pilot before work, trying to reduce my reputation points, ya know. Gotta leave soon. Not sure who that's for, but not owed me.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I, for one, thought that she looked pretty damn good for someone who's had two kids. Hell, she looked good for someone who hasn't had two kids.

So she's not the hard body that she once was. She's hardly "let herself go". Her performance may have sucked (how is that any different from the past?), but for god's sake SHE'S NOT FAT!

No wonder these young actresses end up drug and/or alcohol addicts. Shit, I'd spend my days getting stoned too if I had to live with that kind of pressure.

The media should just back off. I'd like to see any one of her critics in a bikini (those in glass houses...). The guy in the you tube video is a freak, but I (sadly) understand where's he's coming from.

Most women I know would love to have her body. And damn straight I'd wear a bikini if I did!
    All I'm asking is that she keep her cloths on. Otherwise, I'm going on stage in my underwear too.

All I'm asking is that she keep her cloths on. Otherwise, I'm going on stage in my underwear too.
    Hey, you do what you gotta do. I'm okay with that. Live and let live baby.

So she's not the hard body that she once was. She's hardly "let herself go". Her performance may have sucked (how is that any different from the past?), but for god's sake SHE'S NOT FAT!!
    Exactly. She looked bad because she was woefully prepared to perform on national TV, not because she didn't have six-pack abs. You know that was a 'disinterested' male observation, as seen throught a doughnut.

Its just like David Spade said on SNL a decade ago, "Fashion experts should stick to what they know, telling us which guys are good looking and let heterosexuals pick out the women."

Hey, you do what you gotta do. I'm okay with that. Live and let live baby.
    Thanks, but how many people do you think would pay to see it?

As far as an average person goes, she's not fat. But when she's up on stage looking to get people to pay to see her, then she needs to have a little something more than the average person. If a woman on the beach had her body, I wouldn't have anything to say about her in a bikini. Might even take a long look. Ask me to pay to see it? Now I've got issues. (OK, so I have issues either way. But they have nothing to do with Brit)

Thanks, but how many people do you think would pay to see it?

As far as an average person goes, she's not fat. But when she's up on stage looking to get people to pay to see her, then she needs to have a little something more than the average person. If a woman on the beach had her body, I wouldn't have anything to say about her in a bikini. Might even take a long look. Ask me to pay to see it? Now I've got issues. (OK, so I have issues either way. But they have nothing to do with Brit)
    I don't buy that argument. No-one has asked you to pay to see anything. No-one paid to see the MTV Awards. And if anyone did, they didn't pay just to see Britney. If she had performed that way in a concert setting where fans had paid to see her then they should all get their money back. But they should get refunds because of the lacklustre performance that she put on, not because she's gained a few pounds.

If you want to pay to see half naked women, go to a strip club, not a concert.

I don't buy that argument. No-one has asked you to pay to see anything. No-one paid to see the MTV Awards. And if anyone did, they didn't pay just to see Britney. If she had performed that way in a concert setting where fans had paid to see her then they should all get their money back. But they should get refunds because of the lacklustre performance that she put on, not because she's gained a few pounds.

If you want to pay to see half naked women, go to a strip club, not a concert.
    If she had any talent to pay for then I'd buy what you're saying. Her looks were all she had.
    If she doesn't want to be judged on her looks, then she should keep her cloths on.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    You just had to go and drag the King into this. Different times (when Elvis was growing up more doctors preferred Camels than any other brand), different circumstances and different talent levels. "Rubes and hicks", as you refer to southerners, didn't invent the pop/rock star death-by-overdose phenomenon. Don't lay that at the King's feet, son.
    Well,I did use the terms hicks and rubes, but I never applied those terms to southerners as a whole. But I don't back off the Elvis thing one bit. I'm from west Tennessee, so I get to rank on Elvis all I want.

Elvis should be an object lesson, more so than the Bonhams, Hendrixes, Morrisons, Cobains, Joplins, et el because he had a much longer career than they did, and lived to be nearly twice as old as they were when they punched out, meaning he shoulda been wiser. But Elvis was loyal and generous to a fault, putting friends and relatives on his payroll, who in turn aided and abetted his demise, becoming co-dependent on the drug induced stupor that allowed them to exist.

Britney is by most accounts, a well meaning, generous person, meaning she's a cash cow for a number of people, thus the Elvis correlation. She's too immature to be a mom, which doesn't make her a criminal...but driving down the freeway with an infant in her lap...oh yeah, she's a hick and a rube, too, albeit still rather nice looking (NOT fat).

Well,I did use the terms hicks and rubes, but I never applied those terms to southerners as a whole. But I don't back off the Elvis thing one bit. I'm from west Tennessee, so I get to rank on Elvis all I want.

Elvis should be an object lesson, more so than the Bonhams, Hendrixes, Morrisons, Cobains, Joplins, et el because he had a much longer career than they did, and lived to be nearly twice as old as they were when they punched out, meaning he shoulda been wiser. But Elvis was loyal and generous to a fault, putting friends and relatives on his payroll, who in turn aided and abetted his demise, becoming co-dependent on the drug induced stupor that allowed them to exist.

Britney is by most accounts, a well meaning, generous person, meaning she's a cash cow for a number of people, thus the Elvis correlation. She's too immature to be a mom, which doesn't make her a criminal...but driving down the freeway with an infant in her lap...oh yeah, she's a hick and a rube, too, albeit still rather nice looking (NOT fat).
    yeah, well me and my dog was ridin' round in my pickup truck listenin' to "in the ghetto" when i read your ELVIS comments on the inner net (yeah, my Ford F-150 gets wi-fi when i drive by the local feed-n-seed). i 'bout near run off the road. i thought i was gonna have to track me down a citified sissy boy comparin' britnee spears to ELVIS. didn't knowed you was from west-Tenn. next time you see ELVIS tell him we still love the KING. keep on rockin', hillbilly.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    yeah, well me and my dog was ridin' round in my pickup truck listenin' to "in the ghetto" when i read your ELVIS comments on the inner net (yeah, my Ford F-150 gets wi-fi when i drive by the local feed-n-seed). i 'bout near run off the road. i thought i was gonna have to track me down a citified sissy boy comparin' britnee spears to ELVIS. didn't knowed you was from west-Tenn. next time you see ELVIS tell him we still love the KING. keep on rockin', hillbilly.
    GO VOLS!

If she had any talent to pay for then I'd buy what you're saying. Her looks were all she had. If she doesn't want to be judged on her looks, then she should keep her cloths on.
    I agree with you. However, that's a subjective statement. The fact is that she sold millions of CDs. Lot's of people like her music. I will agree that her looks are part of the whole package and it was the whole package that was being sold.

However, what you said was...

As far as her performance? I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe she was sick. But it's time for her to put some clothes on. She's not attractive with those extra pounds.
    You're willing to forgive her terrible performance but not her weight gain. That's the comment that I find offensive.

Look Mike, you and I are friends and I'm only partially busting your chops here. I do find the media's take on her appearance offensive. And you appear to agree with them. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I have issues with the way that the media forces their perception of perfection down our throats and we let them influence our definition of beauty. Somewhere in the not-so-deep archives of RR, there is a thread where I blasted Tex for a similar comment regarding Nancy Wilson. So Britney gained a few pounds. So what? Is a slightly heavier Britney Spears so offensive to society? Does it really warrant front page news? If so, then it's society who has the problem, not Britney, IMPO.

GO VOLS!

ROLL TIDE!

(uh...i hadn't learned to use color on this here inner net yet or i would have made my roll tide crimpsom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information