Maria Taylor - yet another Omaha gem

I continue to be amazed at the talent oozing out of little old Omaha, Neb. Saddle Creek has just got to be one of the major ports in indie music in the USA. Seriously, who would have thunk it?

On a complete whim, I grabbed Maria Taylor's debut album 11:11 on May 24 and report that it's among the most satisfying impulse purchases I've made. Armed with help from many of her Saddle Creek compadres (- the boys from The Faint, which is really too bad), she has managed to put out a very decent little album. So if you're not sick of Connor Oberst by now, here's your chance to get pushed over the edge.

My favorite tracks incorporate a little glitchy electronica a la Notwist, Lali Puna, and similar bands with the end result being a little trendier Beth Orton. Hushed, dreamy, and lush. To my disappointment, the electronics are inconsistent throughout the bulk of the album and I still find myself listening to it, enchanted by her voice. Though on an extremely small scale, this might find acceptance across a wide spectrum of music lovers. Alt. Country (they're selling it a a BLUE GRASS internet outlet), dream pop, indie pop/rock, adult contemperary. Get's me back into the comp making mood, and that's usually a good thing for me. For you? Well I guess that's another matter completely.

jc

Random thought: Since a mod closed the thread, shouldn't the title be changed to "A closed letter to Ericl" ?
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Ooh, ooh, indietronica? Enters 'Maria Taylor' on wish list.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Hmmm, I grabbed a disc at the local used emporium because I saw the label said 'Saddle Creek.' I previewed it, and it sounded almost like rap- like you say, "glitchy electronica" and I put it right down after hafassed listening to 2 tracks. Can't remember the name of the band, tho. I saw the SC label and thought it might be alt/am, but noooooooo.

Of course, it didn't help that the house system was blasting something that totally conflicted, and I felt like that guy who signed up a bunch of people to all bring their ghetto blasters and play them all at once and called it "art."

Hey, what's up with that closed thread, anyhoo?

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Hmmm, I grabbed a disc at the local used emporium because I saw the label said 'Saddle Creek.' I previewed it, and it sounded almost like rap- like you say, "glitchy electronica" and I put it right down after hafassed listening to 2 tracks. Can't remember the name of the band, tho. I saw the SC label and thought it might be alt/am, but noooooooo.

Of course, it didn't help that the house system was blasting something that totally conflicted, and I felt like that guy who signed up a bunch of people to all bring their ghetto blasters and play them all at once and called it "art."

Hey, what's up with that closed thread, anyhoo?

fp
    I'm certainly not up on every thing Saddle Creek, but I guess it makes some sense that they might have some hip hop around. The big ones are The Faint, Cursive, Bright Eyes and this Maria Taylor is in something called Azure Ray. My record store lady mentioned that to me and was horrified that Azure Ray meant nothing to me. I'm so uncool.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information