View Poll Results: Please vote for your more favorite between

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Television

4 36.36%
  • Pixies

7 63.64%

March Music Madness: Television vs. Pixies

OK peeps, this is the final first round match. After this we'll take a break for a few days and come back next week with the winners for the semi final round. Thanks for playing!
    Last edited by newtrix1; 03-18-2005 at 09:20 AM.

The toughest call for me so far. I came late to the party on both these bands, but the only Television album I have is the s/t debut, but I only first heard it about 3 years ago...thanks to Davey and this board...and it's brilliant, probably better than any Pixies album, but I've liked the Pixies for longer, listened to and own more albums, (three), which slightly tips the scales to the Pixies. (on a side note I was going to suggest a match between Wire and Television, but this is probably a more appropriate match-up).
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Not really a tough call for me since I kind of came of age with Television and Tom Verlaine and that whole NY scene that arose in the spirit of the Velvet Underground, with Patti Smith and then the Talking Heads and a ton of other bands. Verlaine really stuck with me and I've followed his whole career with a whole string of very good 'solo' albums, although some of them were really just extensions of the Television days. And back they came in 1992 with the 'reunion' album that I love. And that very cool, Warm and Cool instrumental guitar album Verlaine put out at the same time as the reunion is a favorite. Probably my favorite guitar player and I've really enjoyed many of the bands over the years that have been inspired by the Verlaine-Lloyd twin lead sound. I know they were a big influence on Sleater-Kinney and many others that use a similar approach with the intertwining guitars. Love it.

Pixies are a big favorite too, but never at that same level for me. Now if I was a decade (or so) younger, and hit college at the time when Black Francis hit MTV and almost saved commercial rock and roll for a few minutes, the ranking might be reversed. But as one of my early idols sang, "talkin' bout my generation". And no, I'm definitely not talkin' bout the Hillary Duff or Billie Joe versions

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Not really a tough call for me since I . . . hit college at the time when Black Francis hit MTV and almost saved commercial rock . . .
    Pixies for me, easily. That's not to say I don't like Television because I do, but the Pixies are one of my top 10, possibly top 5, some days top 3, artists of all time.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Lightbulb Too easy.

Though my copy of Marquee Moon still gets plenty of spins and my admiration of Verlaine and Lloyd's guitarwork rivals Davey's, for me it's Pixies hands-down. Only Joy Division, Bob Dylan, and maybe Jimi Hendrix have similar rank in the echelon of pop music, IMO. My favorite indie rock/alternative outfit by far.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Forum Regular
    Pixies...by far.
    -Shwamdoo

Thread Information