View Poll Results: please vote for your more favorite between:

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Modest Mouse

9 64.29%
  • ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

5 35.71%

March Music Madness: Modest Mouse vs. ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

Hey, enough of those old bands with dead guys, let's get some current artists up! Please vote for your favorite between Modest Mouse & ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Hey, enough of those old bands with dead guys, let's get some current artists up! Please vote for your favorite between Modest Mouse & ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead.
    Wow. That's a tough one. Different ends of the spectrum. Definately an "apples and oranges" comparison.

I had to go with ...Trail of Dead. Modest Mouse are okay. I don't mind them. But I don't find them to be very consistent. Granted I've only got two of their disks. But I really only like about 50% of either one. Trail of Dead on the other hand are much more consistent IMO. I really like both of their disks. I know it's early in the year, but I would even go so far as to say that I think World's Apart will be on my top 10 list. This is a killer CD.

Forum Regular
    Wow, these have been good matchups so far, Rick.

I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit. It might be one of those like JD vs. Nirvana where I like both bands a lot and esteem them similarly and it may come down to which band's style I "approve of" more. (Beach Boys are one of my all-time favorite bands, so although I thought that was a good matchup, it wasn't a close call for me.)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    Wow, these have been good matchups so far, Rick.

I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit. It might be one of those like JD vs. Nirvana where I like both bands a lot and esteem them similarly and it may come down to which band's style I "approve of" more. (Beach Boys are one of my all-time favorite bands, so although I thought that was a good matchup, it wasn't a close call for me.)
    I've had a little help this time around from my secret pal Mad Rhet. I guess the bright side to seeing 2 artists you like, is that one will definetly move on.

I may have to borrow "Worlds" again

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Wow. That's a tough one. Different ends of the spectrum. Definately an "apples and oranges" comparison.

I had to go with ...Trail of Dead. Modest Mouse are okay. I don't mind them. But I don't find them to be very consistent. Granted I've only got two of their disks. But I really only like about 50% of either one. Trail of Dead on the other hand are much more consistent IMO. I really like both of their disks. I know it's early in the year, but I would even go so far as to say that I think World's Apart will be on my top 10 list. This is a killer CD.
    Ironically, I don't own any albums be either band, however I have a work buddy who does. I've borrowed Source Codes, as well as the new one, but neither left an impression that made me want to purchase them. Last week I also borrowed Moon Over Antartica and I have the same feelings as you; hit-n-miss (mostly miss). So I think I'm going to abstain from this vote

Not very close for me. I have tons of Modest Mouse and they really satisfy that whole Talking Heads as cycled through the Pixies type of sound that I love. The last album did move a little bit away from the side of the band I love most, but it was still pretty solid. The Lonesome Crowded West though is one of my true favorites of the last decade. Only have Source Tags and Codes from ToD and I do like it a lot, but not at that same level. I have a feeling the new one is just too glossed up for me with the over the top production and the crappy maximized sound level so haven't checked it out yet, but probably will at some time. Maybe. Lots and lots of other things higher on my list though

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Geez, I like both of these guys...ask me again next week and it'd probably change, but I went with ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead mostly because I've been listing to World's Apart this week...good stuff!

Kudos to Newtrix1 for the good pics so far!

This is a tough one for me too. Ultimately it came down to who I listen to more. While I think Source Tags & Codes and Madonna are both great albums (I'm not real keen on the first one and haven't heard the latest), I listen to Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica (and occasionally the latest one too) more frequently.

And lyrics like these don't hurt in the decision either:

Everything that keeps me together is falling apart
    I've got this thing that I consider my only art . . . of fucking people over
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I don't really care about either of these bands enough for me to care who wins.

What I'm saying is my vote is for sale. Start the bidding!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Ironically, I don't own any albums be either band, however I have a work buddy who does. I've borrowed Source Codes, as well as the new one, but neither left an impression that made me want to purchase them. Last week I also borrowed Moon Over Antartica and I have the same feelings as you; hit-n-miss (mostly miss). So I think I'm going to abstain from this vote
    World's Apart needs a few spins to grow on you....or at least it did for me. I liked it on first spin, but after about four spins it really started to grow on me. I like it more each time I listen to it.

Thread Information