• 03-04-2005, 03:23 AM
    newtrix1
    March Music Madness: The Beach Boys vs. The Doors
    Not to take away from the exciting race taking place in match #1 (which will stay open), but it's time to post the next match. Please vote for your favorite psychedelic period southern Cal band: The Beach Boys vs. The Doors.
  • 03-04-2005, 03:39 AM
    newtrix1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Not to take away from the exciting race taking place in match #1 (which will stay open), but it's time to post the next match. Please vote for your favorite psychedelic period southern Cal band: The Beach Boys vs. The Doors.

Nothing against the old Beach Boys, but I've listened to WAY more Doors material in my life. Back in late high school, early college days (I was a late comer fan) I was totally sucked into the whole Jim Morrison/Doors mystique thing; buying all the albums, trying to decypher the lyrics, etc. They were the coolest thing...(until Pink Floyd came along). :cool:
    I still pull out a Doors album on a semi-regular basis.
  • 03-04-2005, 05:16 AM
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

I think they both stink and I'm glad they're gone. :eek:

fp
  • 03-04-2005, 05:22 AM
    Stone
    I hope this one isn't close. IMHO the Doors are the most overrated band in rock history.
  • 03-04-2005, 06:21 AM
    shokhead
    Doors,overplayed and short lived. You cant compare them to the BB.
  • 03-04-2005, 06:36 AM
    kexodusc
    Jim Morrisson...alcoholic, drug usin' poetic genious who went out in a complete fireball disaster..

TOTAL ROCKSTAR!!!

Too many bad BB knock-off songs used as commercial jingles for me to take these guys seriously anymore.
  • 03-04-2005, 07:11 AM
    Mr MidFi
    I friggin' hate the Beach Boys. I agree that the Doors are somewhat overrated, but I have a couple of their albums. The winner: The Doors in a walkover.
  • 03-04-2005, 07:33 AM
    nobody
    I know that historically and all that, the Beach Boys often get more credit, but in reality, I have a stack of Doors records that I still pull out regularly, but I may have one scratchy old Beach Boys record, but considering I basically never get the urge to listen to it, I'm not really sure it's not lost. Yup...voting Doors here.
  • 03-04-2005, 08:35 AM
    jasn
    I went with the BBs.

I have the Beach Boys multi-disc anthology that I've actually played several times (with a fair amount of skipping past the songs about food and stuff). To me, Until I Die is one of the most beautuful songs ever written. I also spin Pet Sounds, but the new SMILE prolly won't get pulled out too often.

I also have a 6-yr old Doors GH double C.D. that I accidently got when I was into joing BMG 2-3 times a year. It had the wrapper on it until about a month ago, when my son wanted to rip a few tracks from it. I still haven't played it but I can't tell you why not.
  • 03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
    -Jar-
    Doors
    yes, the Beach Boys may be "big" right now amongst many of the indie and alternative bands.. but, I like the Doors better. Even though they didn't play "punk" music, they were very punk in a confrontational way. Maybe Jim was just a f**koff dumbass poet, but, still, so were most of the punk rock vocalists of the late 70's and early 80's. Yes, punk revolted against the dinosaur rock, but, Jim paved the way for Iggy who paved the way for Johnny who paved the way for Hank and Jello and Keith and Nick (Cave) and later David Yow. I definately see a lineage there.

I realize that Brian Wilson was a genius, too bad he kind of lost it, but I'm glad that he finally got to do a completed SMILE. I really do need to listen to that more. And yes, probably the Beach Boys had a bigger influence on popular culture than the Doors did.

But as far as the music that I think is important, the Doors mean more to me.

-jar
  • 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
    newtrix1
    potential tie-breaker post!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jar-

But as far as the music that I think is important, the Doors mean more to me.

-jar

Well said, that's what it's all about isn't it? How the music hits you, if it gets under your skin, if it lasts?
  • 03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
    Swish
    The Beach Boys by a landslide...
    it ain't even close. They were more prolific, more influential, and more original than the Doors. Nothing the Doors recorded will ever be as universally praised as "Pet Sounds", and never will be. I liked the Doors ok, and, being older than the average Joe on this board, I was actually alive when much of this music was fresh. Many of you didn't "live" this music, so your opinions just don't count as much as us older folks. ;)

Swish
  • 03-04-2005, 11:37 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish
    it ain't even close. They were much more prolific, more influential, and more original than the Doors. Nothing the Doors has done will ever be as univerally praised as "Pet Sounds"

I tend to agree with Swish Baby, bad grammar and all. But it's not really a landslide in my mind because I do really like the Doors debut album a lot. And it is very praiseworthy and has received tons of acclaim. And the kids today even love it (well, some of them). And like nobody, I have all those first 4 Doors albums on pretty darn nice sounding vinyl. And I even bought the CD of LA Woman a few years ago. On the other hand, I bought the Pet Sounds mono reissue on DCC vinyl back in the mid 90s and love it. But that's the total extent of my Beach Boys collection these days, other than boots and comps. I did have a couple other BB records as a kid, but they're long gone so don't really count. So another chink in my hipster armor has been exposed ;)

But more of the music I like is influenced by the BBs than the Doors, and Pet Sounds is one for the ages, so I'll go with them. By not a landslide.
  • 03-04-2005, 12:31 PM
    Worf101
    The Beach Boys but NOT by a wide margin....
    The Beach Boys were almost a cover Band in their early incarnation. They owe Chuck Berry some serious coin as far as I'm concerned. But eventually they became more than just a surf band. They became more adventurous and produced music that's stood the test of time but that came late in their incarnation. The Doors amongst others wrote the primer for "Rock Star Excess". They hit every cliche in the book including the drug induced death of the lead singer. If Morrison weren't so handsome and charismatic would we even be having this conversation?

Da Worfster :confused:
  • 03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
    Stone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    If Morrison weren't so handsome and charismatic would we even be having this conversation?

I would like to think not, but I also don't understand how someone can think that Richard Marx was a great musical artist (as someone who I met yesterday does).

Hey, anyone heard about ....

My favorite cover band, Crystal Sh<a>it</a>.

Yeah, they do a Doors show; you'd be really impressed. In fact, it goes a little like this: Love me two times baby, love me twice today. Love me two times baby, cause I got aids. Love me two times baby, once for tomorrow once cause I got aids.
  • 03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
    Swish
    Surf pop guitars did sound like Chuck, but...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    The Beach Boys were almost a cover Band in their early incarnation. They owe Chuck Berry some serious coin as far as I'm concerned. But eventually they became more than just a surf band. They became more adventurous and produced music that's stood the test of time but that came late in their incarnation. The Doors amongst others wrote the primer for "Rock Star Excess". They hit every cliche in the book including the drug induced death of the lead singer. If Morrison weren't so handsome and charismatic would we even be having this conversation?

Da Worfster :confused:

it was their beautiful harmonies that made them so special in my mind. Hey, I had two older sisters who were crazy about them and I had no choice but to listen when I was a kid. No, I don't care for all of their "hits", but "In My Room" and "God Only Knows" will always be among my favorite tunes.
  • 03-04-2005, 04:16 PM
    Troy
    I like both bands quite a bit. Way more than the other 2 currently neing voted on. Be a shame to see the Doors fall out in the first round. Hardly seems right to me.
  • 03-04-2005, 06:50 PM
    MindGoneHaywire
    >Hardly seems right to me.

Yeah, that's about how I felt about Bob Dylan being outvoted vs. Bob Marley last time around. But that's the way it went down, and the Boston Red Sox are the defending World Series champions, so what can you do?
  • 03-13-2005, 06:21 PM
    mad rhetorik
    Yeah, I acknowledge Brian Wilson & Co.'s importance to the world of pop music, but ultimately The Doors (particularly their first two albums) are ten times more fulfilling for me. Jim Morrison was the definitive rock 'n' roll frontman, and his voice and charisma were enough to forgive him of his high-drama pretension; while Ray Manzarek is one of the few pianists/organists I can actually get behind, being quite talented but always mindful of the "swing," not as wanky as others would become in a prog context (*coughRickWakeman*cough*).

For me it's no contest.
  • 03-17-2005, 02:53 PM
    dean_martin
    Quote:

This was a tough one for me but I'm gettin' my vote in before the poll closes.

If I voted for the Beach Boys, it would be only on the strength of Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson's admitted admiration of Phil Spector's sound (which I like as well). The famous harmonies are nice and are admittedly good but that just doesn't appeal to me.

I thought I had outgrown The Doors, and probably have, but I remember how their sound just blew me away when I first heard them. Sure, much of Morrison's lyrics were mumbo-jumbo, but through my mid teens to early 20s I couldn't get enough. I got caught up in the whole Morrison mystique. So, my vote this time is based on impact.

(I had to take the opposite approach with the Hendrix/Miles poll. When I really got into music at 15 it was The Doors, Hendrix, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Yes and maybe a little Lynard Skynard, Moody Blues, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, etc.)