Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    DUCK!

Why "duck"?

Seagull, I could understand. But, duck?

Actually, it's funny that you bring that up...where meanings of phrases came from, that is. We were just talking over dinner about the phrase take it with a grain of salt, and wondering how that originated.

And no...this post is not music related. ...unless you count the two margaritas that I had with dinner as I hummed Margaritaville.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Depends on how resourceful you are to a certain extent, and how much you like that sound. None of their records are in print anymore and Bunny copies get some pretty good cash. That one is my favorite, but I'm kind of a patient guy and had it on my djangos alert list for quite awhile before snagging a cheap copy. Looks like Jimmywine Majestic and There's a Star are both available used for pretty cheap at places like amazon marketplace. I prefer the Tim Rutili dominated sound on Bunny and the later ones after guitarist Glenn Girard got fed up and left, but Jimmywine has some excellent stuff, and many prefer the earlier sound. I like the looser and more experimental feel of the later ones. But it's all good to me.
    Yeah I know, replying to my own posts is kinda pitiful, but gotta add that I've been listening to Jimmywine Majestic a lot the last couple days and it really is a good album. A bit heavier and harder rocking than the following Bunny or anything that came after. Back in those early days they were opening for bands like the Smashing Pumpkins and had a louder sound without as much complexity, much closer to the Stones Exile-era blues-rock sound, just slowed down a bit. Fairly simple drumming and percussion, mainly just a backbeat, but solid album and I can appreciate why many point to it as their best. In some ways, so do I. It's a more accessible package than much of what came after. And still has subtle hints of the Appalachian charm that would get fleshed out later in Califone.

I was snooping around for the latest Califone news after hearing that the new album was gonna be out this year, great news, supposed to hit the stores in early October and already glowing reports. Roots & Crowns. Sporting a new avatar in anticipation. Can hardly wait. Brian Deck is back. The world is right. Should sound great. And also downloaded a song called "Dreamless" by Temistocles H. Rutili, the man also known as Tim Rutili of Califone, and formerly Red Red Meat fame. From the unreleased score of The Lost, the soundtrack draws from some personal favorites too such as the song "Dowser" from Rutili's old band, Red Red Meat, as well as cuts from Boris, Black Heart Procession, Baseball Furies, and the Black-Eyed Snakes, among others. Free download from The Lost's website below ...

http://www.thelostmovie.net/soundtrack.html

But what I really just wanted to add is that I saw at the SubPop site that Jimmywine Majestic is apparently still available on CD new and There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight is available on LP from the label. But like I said before, both easily had for cheap used on CD. And of course, from itunes or napster or other download places like that. And then there's all the family of bands like Sin Ropas and Fruitbats and Loftus and oRSo that flowed from those beginnings as members splintered

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Is it a new week?
    This week I went in a different direction and bought some old Stones and Marley. That said the real LOTW was Buddy Guy's Bring 'Em In. Alot of older tunes rerecorded, with a vastly superior sq to most blues offerings. Highlights include "Aint no Sunshine" with Tracy Chapman and "Cheaper to Keep Her"--which unfortunately a couple of my friends are discovering right now...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Yeah I know, replying to my own posts is kinda pitiful...
    Not at all. At least you're having an intelligent conversation.

J/K...screams "follow-up" to me.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Calexico - Hot Rail
    Makes my turntable happy.

Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island
    Took forever but I recently came across this at a local indie record store. No more awful 128 kb/s mp3 for me
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    There's a latest Zutons? I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I've been searching around the 'net and can't find any news of a North American release date.

First official day of the holidays, for me. Woo hoo!!

Listening tons to "Stadium Arcadium" by the Red Hots.

The guitar work on this double disc is imho the best that the Red Hot Chili Peppers have put to disc.

A summertime grower.

Cheers,

Bill

Muse, Black Holes and Revelations

Contender for hard rock/pop album of the year.

The Radiohead comparisons will continue, due mostly to their experimentation with electronica in a rock context, but to my ears, they end up sounding completely different. In fact, if I said anything, I'd say Queen. Tracks 1-4 go by way too quickly; tracks 7 and the last track, the first US single, blow me away.

Hey, FA, I think you'd like this.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

The Radiohead comparisons will continue, due mostly to their experimentation with electronica in a rock context, but to my ears, they end up sounding completely different. In fact, if I said anything, I'd say Queen. Tracks 1-4 go by way too quickly; tracks 7 and the last track, the first US single, blow me away.

Yeah I'm enjoying it too, it's ott in places but that's their style and there is a definite Queen comparison there. I'm not sure Radiohead will ever sound again like the Radiohead people remember and make comparisons with.

Next contender for LOTW is Thom Yorke's solo album The Eraser which extends his electronica dabblings, it's a real grower and even a bit funky in places.

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks Dusty. I had it in my hand the other day, but put it back on the shelf pending finding some reviews. I really dig their first CD, although I haven't listened to it all that much relative to some other disks that I bought around the same time. Based on your comments and Mike's I'll pick up the new one this week.

My LOTW this week has been Sam Roberts. He giving a free show on Friday night that we're probably going to go to (it's a hour's drive from here so what we save on tickets we spend on gas). But The Trews are opening for him and that's a hard show to turn down.

Anyway, I've been listening to Robert's first CD and his latest. I've decided that if I took half the songs from each disk and put them on one CDR, it would be one hell of a killer album! I'm not sure how much, if any, of Sam Roberts you guys hear in the US. But he has a very unique sound to my ears...a good blend of rock, pop and indie sounds. When you hear a Sam Roberts song, there's no mistaking who it is. A nice change to all the Nickelback wannabe bands that are flooding the Canadian airwaves.

made a machine by describing the landscape

Ya ever get one of those weird, inspiring lines like that stuck in your brain for days and days on end? Happens all the time with me, especially with this band. That line has even become the title for a new tour film about the band. And not to be left out, it's become the most recent subtitle link at my website. Been listening almost compulsively to last year's live album that collects some of their career highlights going back to the early 90s and forward to just a coupla years ago. They really get my noodle wigglin' when they work it out in the jam section second half of the Leon Spinx song, of which Tim says ...

"Leon Spinx actually did move to my town. He worked as a doorman at this bar called the Pink Pony. The words to that song are very, very weird, but it's all about thoughts becoming completely different. In the song, two people are having sex and that becomes a separate person that happens to be this weird retired, toothless, scary, crack-smoking boxer. That's what their sex life becomes – you still kinda want to hang out and explore it a bit, but you don't want to get too deep because it might turn on you and you might get hit."

Yeah, definitely a LOTW on my back porch. Very limited distro at the time with one-of-a-kind hand painted (or some might say doodled) cover and cd-r - mine looks a bit like a cave painting of some woolly bully kinda slow-movin carnivore thing ...

Last edited by Davey; 07-20-2006 at 06:21 AM.

This week, there is a tie:

Anthony Phillips, Field Day

All instrumental music, mostly short pieces, somewhere between Michael Hedges, Steve Hackett's more acoustic albums and...well, early Genesis (he was only on the first album). First album in way too long. If this is what he has in him, I sure hope there's more coming.

Thom Yorke, The Eraser

I didn't like this album the first time I heard it, but for some reason, I kept putting it on. It's grown on me. Started discovering repeated themes (like the train references), and a dark undercurrent to the "bedroom boffin" electronica coupled with Yorke's plaintive lyrics and singing. This is not a Radiohead side project album...alright, yes it is. Audibly so.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Just got done listening to that Thom Yorke, and really dug it. I head it refered to as Kid B, and I can see why. If you liked Kid A, I'd expect you to like it. A little more song based though and some guitar creeps in now and then. I like it better than the last Radiohead. And, if you're a vinyl fan, the packaging is fantastic, absolutely up there with the very best. All grooved where those swirly lines are and an inner cover that blends right in and slides out the top, nice heavy pressing too.

Before that, listened to ISAN: Plans Drawn in Pencil. If you like them, as I do, its a great listen...nothing to convert a non-fan though. Their last one branched out a bit more than usual as far as instrumentation, but this one is more back to all analogue synths, mellow, floating kinda stuff. Great late night or early morning music. Another nice pressing, which is typical for Morr Music releases, perhaps my favorite label these days. Comes with a poster and catalog.

I picked this up this morning. Only one spin so far, but I liked what I heard. I'll definately be spending more time getting to know this disk. Just from the initial listen, I may even end up liking this one better than Absolution. I'm with you on the Queen influence. I said that about their previous CD also.

Eh-gsellent! (rubs hands together gleefully)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    What a rotten week at work, accentuated by the fact that I was supposed to be on vacation. Anyway, yesterday was the first opportunity for any sustained listening sessions in a while, so I put off continuation of my downloading project and fired up the big rig!!
    Here are some of the highlights:
    1) Bizarre and unsettling tecno-industrial comp given to me by a goth girl. Contributors include Noise Unit, Laibach, Kill Switch and Psychopomps and is filled with electronic angst.
    2) While searching out recs from the "Classical Recs" column, I came upon a different version of Wooch's recommended Gershwin:An American in Paris. The disc is by the San Francisco Symphony/ Seiji Ozawa (DG-463665-2). While I didn't really care for the Gershwin performance it was the accompanying piece that stood out. William Russo~Street Music for Blues Band and Orchestra was at once soulful and ethereal if that's possible. This is not my first exposure to "modern classical" or "modern music" or whatever, but it was the first experience that I found thoroughly enjoyable. Classical purists should abstain. In retrospect the Russo was almost like the Blues Travellers doing a soundtrack for a David Lynch movie.
    3) Calexico~Garden Ruin I love this album completely. Except for track 5, Letter to Bowie Knife which I hate. Am I the only one that thinks this track ruins the continuity of an otherwise superb offering?
    4) Leon Botstein/London Symphony~Franz Listz's Eine Symphony zu Dantes Divina Commedia. This was the "Listen of the Week". Another great Telarc release highlighting a superb performance. Thunderous tympany in the first movement and mournful instrumentation abound while superior spatial imaging and mastering complete a strong packeage. Played at appropriate volume (read LOUD) this is chaotic and powerful and baleful...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Forum Regular
    Never mind LOTW this is more like LOTY (year) for me with the excellent debut album by The Guillemots – Through The Windowpane fronted by the aptly named Fyfe Dangerfield. I’ve had it for a week or two and wasn’t too impressed at first just nothing grabbed me, it’s a brave thing to have a string piece as your opening track, but recently I’ve been playing it a lot and now it’s taken its hold. Imagine The Decemberists and Jeff Buckley meets Mercury Rev and you get the idea.

Featuring strings/horns and just about everything else that comes to hand it’s a wonderful grandiose blend of sounds that sounds like a band in full maturity. But best of all is the lovely spacious recording with loads going on in the mix and it’s all allowed to breathe.

They are nominees for the Mercury Prize this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took the title.

Cheers
    Mike

So, can you guarantee that I'll like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Never mind LOTW this is more like LOTY (year) for me with the excellent debut album by The Guillemots – Through The Windowpane fronted by the aptly named Fyfe Dangerfield. I’ve had it for a week or two and wasn’t too impressed at first just nothing grabbed me, it’s a brave thing to have a string piece as your opening track, but recently I’ve been playing it a lot and now it’s taken its hold. Imagine The Decemberists and Jeff Buckley meets Mercury Rev and you get the idea.

Featuring strings/horns and just about everything else that comes to hand it’s a wonderful grandiose blend of sounds that sounds like a band in full maturity. But best of all is the lovely spacious recording with loads going on in the mix and it’s all allowed to breathe.

They are nominees for the Mercury Prize this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took the title.

Cheers
    Mike
    I just checked deepdiscountcd.com and they want $22 for it, or about $10 more than most new releases. Yeah, free shipping and no tax are an incentive, but I'm not sure I can spend that on a cd. Well, actually I can, I just don't really want to, you know what I mean?

Swish-y Washy Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I just checked deepdiscountcd.com and they want $22 for it, or about $10 more than most new releases. Yeah, free shipping and no tax are an incentive, but I'm not sure I can spend that on a cd. Well, actually I can, I just don't really want to, you know what I mean?

Swish-y Washy Swish
    Well I can't guarantee you will like it, but lots of others do like Metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/music/arti...hthewindowpane
    and Pitchfork http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...the_Windowpane

Dave posted a link (which I think still works) for CDWoW where you can get it post free for $13.95 http://www6.cd-wow.us/promotion.php?..._1&affid=14282

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular

The "growing on me" concept

Hello Dusty et al:

Since I just sold most of my expensive audiophile gear for what else - more music, I'll probably be spending more time here instead of discussing cables and such.

My LOTW was "Salt Marie Celeste" which is Nurse With Wound's vision of what the abandoned ship the Marie Celeste and the surroundings must have sounded like during its lonely vigil, thereby giving lie to the old "if a tree falls in the forest" schtick.

Anyway, I listened to it twice and thought "hell, it's just another disc of repeating the same old thing over and over and over". On the third listen, my mind wandered until something within the music snapped it in place. It's a very disturbing piece, although now I'm not totally sure that all of what I heard was actually in the recording or if my mind was filling in some spaces. And no, I wasn't wasted!

I also spent a bit of time rediscovering The Soft Boys along with Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians and Merzbow's "The Last of the Analog Recordings". The latter solves the problem of unwanted guests, to be sure.

At any rate, I think I'll lurk about to see if I can find some leads on newer rock that is suitably interesting. I've recently discovered a few bands that I should have picked up on years ago but missed such as the Dog Faced Hermans and The Cramps. I'm mostly into jazz, modern classical and noise (Merzbow, solo Mike Patton, Controlled Bleeding) but also listen to a fair amount of rock. The trouble is my rock education barely makes it past 1982 or so. Rock musta sucked back then - or I did!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    In retrospect the Russo was almost like the Blues Travellers doing a soundtrack for a David Lynch movie.

Cheers
    Great line! Sounds like an interesting pickup. Thanks for sharing.

Hey musicoverall, welcome. I'm into a lot of music that make others think I'm an alien, too (NWW, Desiderii Marginis, Lull, et al). Every once in a while, you may not get much of a reaction -- don't let that dissuade you, we're just like that sometimes.

I'll definitely check that NWW out.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Dare to be Different

Hey musicoverall, welcome. I'm into a lot of music that make others think I'm an alien, too (NWW, Desiderii Marginis, Lull, et al). Every once in a while, you may not get much of a reaction -- don't let that dissuade you, we're just like that sometimes.

I'll definitely check that NWW out.
    If you haven't heard NWW's "An Awkward Pause", that's one to look into. It's my favorite of theirs.

I understand the alien comment! Most of what I hear is something like "...and you like that why???"

Another good record of a "minimalist" persuasion is Morton Feldman's "Piano and String Quartet". It's a wonderful example of what just a few notes, a lot of spaces, and ever so grudging and subtle motif alterations can do.

I have some NWW (Sylvie and Babs, Thunder Perfect Mind...I think An Awkward Pause is one of them -- if not, I'll make sure it gets put on the list).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

How is Sylvie and Babs?

I have some NWW (Sylvie and Babs, Thunder Perfect Mind...I think An Awkward Pause is one of them -- if not, I'll make sure it gets put on the list).
    My local citadel of used CD's wanted $40 for a preowned copy. I've been holding back on it as a result... and I'm not too concerned about someone else buying it while I'm thinking about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information