Suspended

Looking at some new Metal, any opinions?

New to me any way. Surprisingly the Metal I'm looking at is not my normal thing but I ran across this band Amon Amarth and there's something about their brand of speed and growl I seem to like. I'm looking to start with Twilight Of The Thunder God or some such. Just following some other suggestions I also like what I hear from Gojira. I think the album I put on my list was Way Of The Flesh. Another band that really sounds good is Scar Semmetry. They are a bit different from Opeth but sounds like they may follow their style some. Shadow Fall didn't sound too bad but my brain was kick drummed out by then and I didn't put anything on my list. I thought I'd drop these names out hear to see if any one had opinions, recs or info that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    New to me any way. Surprisingly the Metal I'm looking at is not my normal thing but I ran across this band Amon Amarth and there's something about their brand of speed and growl I seem to like. I'm looking to start with Twilight Of The Thunder God or some such. Just following some other suggestions I also like what I hear from Gojira. I think the album I put on my list was Way Of The Flesh. Another band that really sounds good is Scar Semmetry. They are a bit different from Opeth but sounds like they may follow their style some. Shadow Fall didn't sound too bad but my brain was kick drummed out by then and I didn't put anything on my list. I thought I'd drop these names out hear to see if any one had opinions, recs or info that might help.
    I've been listening to a live Lamb of God CD, Killadelphia, released a while ago. I've tried them before and it didn't stick, but this seems to be the right mix of song styles and sound quality that helps me get into metal (but the between-song patter is pretty lame). Then I went out & bought their new one (Wrath), and it's more of the same old, same old.

I've got several metal samplers I'll copy for you if you want to check out some more new stuff.

fp

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I'm not a big metal guy but really like some of the more proggy stuff. Pretty much everything I've heard from Opeth and, lately, lovin' some Mastodon. Blood Mountain was great and the new one - only spun it a couple times - even better. Heavy, smart, just enough noodling for my prog ears but definitely metal. that's all I've got...

Suspended
    FP, I'll accept your offer. I did end up buying a couple CD's from the prior samplers you sent. I bought Echoes of Eternity. Some can't get into the vocals but I think it's cool and ties into the whole Goddess thing. The album sounds good though the double bass drum is clean and fast and the album is just produced really well. I can't remember what else I ended up with off of there, that may have been where I heard of Darkwell.

I ended up getting the latest In Flames, should be here about the time of Amon Amarth.

Jonny you might want to check out Dream Theater for some Prog Metal and this band Scar Symmetry you might like too.

Forum Regular
    Scars on Broadway might be worth a try. Not the Lamb of God type stuff, but it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by rob7
    Scars on Broadway might be worth a try. Not the Lamb of God type stuff, but it's pretty good.
    Yeah- good call. This is one of my favorite heavy discs.

Suspended
    I'll check'em out.

Thread Information