Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Looking for new discoveries

Okay friends, I'm looking for some new (to me) discoveries. Help me out. Who should I be paying more attention to? New or old, doesn't matter.

Josh Ritter is already on my list. I put Animal Years on my Xmas list but Santa didn't deliver that one so I'll have to pick it up on my own.

Knowing you and your tastes, I think you'd like the new Planet X disc, Quantum.

Taut & muscular, it's prog at its loveliest, w/ keyboards featured over guitar work (not that there's anything wrong with that). Much better than their last release, Moonbabies, it features Allan Holdsworth (guitar) on a couple of tracks, w/ Jimmy Johnson & Rufus Philpott sharing bass duties (he said "dootie" henh henh).

AllMusic sez: You may also find the music veering a little more into fusion territory and less into the metal-fusion genre established by the Magna Carta label — and all for the better. In fact, Quantum is a quantum leap above previous Planet X releases: stronger compositions (tighter and less flashy), more diversity across the album, better-dosed excitement.

It's one of my favorite releases (he said "releases" henh henh) of 2007, and I think you'd dig it. And oh, yeah- no vocals.

Samples here.

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 01-08-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Does it have to rock, or are we open to Jazz/Classical genres as well?
    There's trying something new, then trying something different.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Does it have to rock, or are we open to Jazz/Classical genres as well?
    There's trying something new, then trying something different.
    That's an excellent question! I was referring to new rock but I'd be open to classical or jazz if you think that there's something that I should hear. I'm all for expanding my horizons.

I won't listen to Opera. A girl's gotta draw the line somewhere.

Forum Regular
    I know you like Kyuss, so check out the new Hermano cd when it comes out. It's John Garcia from Kyuss. I like this one much better than the last disc.

Forum Regular
    Hiromi´s time control a jazz/rock fusion with some fiery piano perfomances, with a sound sometimens reminiscent of weather report but with some stelly dan humor on it.
    Rodrigo and Gabriela a acoustic guitar duo with a collage of sounds from metal to latin.

JSE
    Hey FA, ventured over to RR.

I will second Rodrigo and Gabriela. Cool latin, classical, metal-ish blend if that makes sense. They can both play the hell out of a classical guitar. I think they used to be roadies for Metallica. Cool stuff.

Paradise Lost - In Requiem..... Great album. A little prog-ish with some old school metal mixed in. Great music and very little screaming. There older stuff is more "techno" but this last album is pretty good.

Machine Head - some of their stuff is to much for me in terms of death vocals but some select songs are really great. (Now I Lay Thee Down, Halo, Desire to Fire, Elegy, Descend the Shades of Night to name a few)

Redemption - Cool prog stuff. Similiar to Porcupine Tree.

Seemless - One of my favorite bands. The albums "Seemless" and "What We Have Become" are both great. Just a good old fashion, funky, kindof bluessie metal band. Definitely check them out.

Anyway,

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Hey FA, ventured over to RR.
    To what do we owe the honour?

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Redemption - Cool prog stuff. Similiar to Porcupine Tree.
    I have The Origins Of Ruin. Indeed, cool stuff.

That Paradise Lost disk sounds familiar. Maybe 3-LB mentioned it at one time? Not sure.

Don't know if you've seen much of our talk around here lately about them, but the latest from Aussie band Augie March might be something you'd like. They have kind of a late-period Split Enz sound, you know, Time & Tide with "Six Months on a Leaky Boat", or the next one with "Conflicting Emotions". Good stuff. Some fun Kinks sound, and bits of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley. I think they even played Australia last year on the Crowded House reunion tour. Maybe a bit too many strummy guitars in this latest one, but most of the songs still stand out with good melodies, always poetic lyrics, and good singing. Classy music.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Don't know if you've seen much of our talk around here lately about them, but the latest from Aussie band Augie March might be something you'd like. They have kind of a late-period Split Enz sound, you know, Time & Tide with "Six Months on a Leaky Boat", or the next one with "Conflicting Emotions". Good stuff. Some fun Kinks sound, and bits of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley. I think they even played Australia last year on the Crowded House reunion tour. Maybe a bit too many strummy guitars in this latest one, but most of the songs still stand out with good melodies, always poetic lyrics, and good singing. Classy music.
    You can never have too many strummy guitars IMO. Besides, there's not enough classy music in my collection. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    Hiromi´s time control a jazz/rock fusion with some fiery piano perfomances, with a sound sometimens reminiscent of weather report but with some stelly dan humor on it.
    Rodrigo and Gabriela a acoustic guitar duo with a collage of sounds from metal to latin.
    Based on the music found on My Space, Hiromi didn't do much for me but I really liked what I heard of Rodrigo and Gabriela. Amazon.com has their CD with a bonus DVD for $9.99. Its in my shopping cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger.

Well, if you haven't purchased any Shins in the past, you really must, especially if you liked DCFC. Their first CD sounds like they were channeling XTC.

And you'll love Beardfish. Not just another Swedish prog band. Lead singer has a great voice.

Try Gruff Rhys too. That's an actual guy's name, not the name of the band. He's from Super Furry Animals.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 01-08-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    You can never have too many strummy guitars IMO. Besides, there's not enough classy music in my collection. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Here's my first purchase of 2008. Love these guys, especially that quirky first one. Only $12.95 postpaid from cd-wow ... not exactly too classy though

Here's my first purchase of 2008. Love these guys, especially that quirky first one. Only $12.95 postpaid from cd-wow ... not exactly too classy though

Do they still sound like the Psychadelic Furs?

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Do they still sound like the Psychedelic Furs?
    Yea some, sure. Maybe more like Echo & The Bunnymen on the last record, but Bowie and Pere Ubu too depending on the song, and who sings. Even a bit of the Who. Good band. I think FA already discovered them, though.

Hey FA, there's a Canadian prog outfit called The Rebel Wheel...

maybe you seen 'em around?

edit: I looked them up on their MySpace site and who is listed among their friends...

Mr Van Allen Belt himself, our very own Troy P.

So maybe you won't like 'em after all...

Actually I liked what I heard; kinda fushiony, but they don't bludgeon you with it.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 01-08-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Well, if you haven't purchased any Shins in the past, you really must, especially if you liked DCFC. Their first CD sounds like they were channeling XTC.

And you'll love Beardfish. Not just another Swedish prog band. Lead singer has a great voice.

Try Gruff Rhys too. That's an actual guy's name, not the name of the band. He's from Super Furry Animals.
    Shame on you for not paying attention to my best of 2007 list where The Shins made the #2 spot in the category of Non-prog/Metal.

Beardfish is already on my list to check out based on your previous comments. And I'll take a look at Gruff Rhys (cool name!). I like the little SFA that I've heard but their CDs tend to run on the high side (price wise I mean) so I've never purchased any.

I'm already a big British Sea Power fan (love the Bowie influence) but didn't realize that they had a new album out. I'll pick that up for sure.

Canadian Prog? I had no idea!

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks for the heads up on British Sea Power Davey didn't realise they had a new one out, one for the wishlist methinks.

FA you might like Newton Faulkner his album came out last year called Hand Built by Robots lots of samples on Myspace for you to try.

And there's lots of under $1 copies of Augie March on Amazon used and new but that doesn't make it a dud, it's still a fine album there must be lots of promo copies kicking around to offload.

Cheers
    Mike

I guarantee she will like this one, and I was getting ready...

...to recommend it myself until I saw your reply. This is right up her alley.

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I'm already a big British Sea Power fan (love the Bowie influence) but didn't realize that they had a new album out. I'll pick that up for sure.
    Yea, I thought so. But don't go looking yet cause it's not out until next month here in the US. My copy from cd-wow ships Mon, Jan 14, which is the UK release date. I haven't heard it yet, but advance reports and early reviews are loving it, placing it closer in sound to the first one, and making silly predictions like contender for best of 2008

http://www.junkmedia.org/index.php?i=2260

...I really liked what I heard of Rodrigo and Gabriela. Amazon.com has their CD with a bonus DVD for $9.99. Its in my shopping cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger.
    Well worth it for the DVD alone. Lots of live/how to stuff on it that's just crazy.

So....? Planet X ring your chimes?

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Well worth it for the DVD alone. Lots of live/how to stuff on it that's just crazy.

So....? Planet X ring your chimes?

fp
    Haven't had a chance to check out Planet X yet. But if it's a rec from you its pretty much a gimme that I'll like it. I'll head back over to My Space tonight. I try to avoid My Space and Facebook at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    And there's lots of under $1 copies of Augie March on Amazon used and new but that doesn't make it a dud, it's still a fine album there must be lots of promo copies kicking around to offload.
    Yea, unfortunately they are on Sony, so it's mastered kind of loud and compressed. Shame since it was apparently done by Greg Calbi and Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, two masters and a place that is responsible for some of the best sounding music of the past. The keyword being "past". Sony does seem to flood the place with promos, so you're probably right. I hate paying someone for a promo, but I have on occasion when that was the only way. And I did get my copy for under $5 new from the amazon marketplace when it finally got a release here back in August (almost a year and a half after Aus), but it's not a promo.

I already posted a link to Junkmedia about the BSP record, but I recall they had a nice little interview with one of the Augie March guys not too long ago to go with their 5-star review, so let me look em up ...

Review
    Interview

Classical & Contemporary Classical

Okay friends, I'm looking for some new (to me) discoveries. Help me out. Who should I be paying more attention to? New or old, doesn't matter.

Josh Ritter is already on my list. I put Animal Years on my Xmas list but Santa didn't deliver that one so I'll have to pick it up on my own.
    FA, since you're open minded, I suggest contemporary classical -- or classical in general for that matter. Check out my helpful list: Feanor's 250 Classical Compositions.

See the 'Category' column to locate the Contemporary composers and their recommended works. A recent discovery for me was Sir Harrison Birtwistle's Earth Dances -- highly recommended.

OK, let's be clear: contemporary classical isn't for dabblers. It's an acquired taste, like olives or beer, but I'm sure you can handle it. BTW, I'm with you on opera, at least where just listening is concerned; I only buy opera on DVD.
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.

"... seven rhythm-charged compositions with the exotic, sensual ambience of the Middle East. Blazingly original music and audiophile quality sound by one of the world's top electro-acoustic artists ..." [from the liner notes]

Another nice one you can usually find on the cheap at amazon marketplace, something that Mike and I have talked about before and I think both of us really like, Robert Rich Seven Veils. It's a 1998 instrumental release on the Hearts of Space label that I have seen described as "ancient music from another planet", which may not be far off. A blend of Middle Eastern percussion and constantly changing ambient atmospheres, textured with his lap steel guitar and bamboo flute, along with others contributing cello, violin, bass and the occasional searing electric guitar. A very high level of melodic and rhythmic sophistication on this album will keep you exploring it for a long time. Soothing and captivating at the same time, and easy to get lost in. Topped off with incredible sound quality to make it even more atmospheric.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information