Live Accoustic Prog Doesn't Get Much Better

I've been spinning the new Pain of Salvation CD for about a week now, and it is an instant classic.

The album is named 12:5. It's a live accoustic concept album. It is not necessarily easily accessible in one or two listens, but it grows on you, with a beauty that is all to rare in music these days, and especially in progressive music.

This band used to be a heavy metal band, but over the years, with each new album, has morphed into a very classy act. This album should move them to the fore in terms of respect for musicianship and songwriting creativity. The playing is outstanding, and the vocal harmonies are breathtaking. This band grooves and rocks with accoustic guitars, drums and percussion, grand piano, harpsichord, and accoustic bass and cello, and outstanding vocals throughout.

I'm sure they did this live to prove a point, and the point is well taken. Unfortunately, they did it live in front of an audience, which really distracts from the overall enjoyment of the album. They should have done it live in the studio with an accompanying DVD live with an audience.

This album gets 7.5 out of 10, but would have been a 9 if they did it in the studio. It's a "get it today" purchase for people who love their prog on the darker side.

Their website is www.painofsalvation.com

Thanks Barry.

I'll look into it.

Your twisted sister gave me the lowdown on a new Henning Pauly release, tomorrow in fact. Lots of new things on the horizon.

A new Porky Twee release this summer as well.

Oh the joy.

Darren

PS. Autumn, just kiddin' on the twisted sister thing, eh.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

I think you''ll like this one

The best I can tell is that they've taken some old stuff and combined it with new stuff to create some kind of concept album. There is an extensive booklet, but I haven't had time to read the lyrics. Looks like they have another release coming out during the summer. I can't wait.

If you haven't heard the Pallas reissues of The Sentinal and The Wedge, they are both excellent. Good quality neo-prog stuff with a strong song and melody focus. Excellent playing as well. Dave G would like these too!

New PT is good news. I'm also looking forward to the new Tears For Fears, which was delayed again. I suppose Arista wants to make sure that it is very commercial.

I also haven't heard from Roine Stolt lately. The Flower Kings must be up to something. Also thought there was supposed to be another Karmakanic release. Keep
    'em coming. Looks like high quality prog is making a comeback.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I had to return mine -- it skipped at 1:30 into the second track. But I liked what I heard once or twice.

Yup, Pain Of Salvation have graduated to "blank check" status, for me (I will automatically get each new release without having to hear it).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    This band used to be a heavy metal band, but over the years, with each new album, has morphed into a very classy act.
    Are you implying that heave metal bands can't be classy acts?

Perhaps you'll let me borrow your copy so that I can test it out on my new office sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Autumn, just kiddin' on the twisted sister thing, eh.
    No Darren. You're absolutely right. I am a little twisted. That's the reason that I fit in so well around here. No apology necessary.

Yep. Very Few Heavy Metal Classy Acts. (n/t)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Are you implying that heave metal bands can't be classy acts?

Perhaps you'll let me borrow your copy so that I can test it out on my new office sound system.

No Darren. You're absolutely right. I am a little twisted. That's the reason that I fit in so well around here. No apology necessary.
    xxxxxxxxx

Forum Regular

Pallas

Man I like that band a lot.

Especially the new dvd too.

Would love to see this band.

Slim chance of that ever happening, tho.

Regards,

Dave

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Lightbulb

I don't really "get" the hype behind Pain of Salvation. I listened to Remedy Lane a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty awful. To me they sound like a second-rate Faith No More mixed with the worst aspects of Dream Theater. Daniel Gildenlow tries to do way too many things with his voice, not to mention he also has a penchant for being overly melodramatic, a la James Labrie. Mike Patton can pull off just about every vocal style better than Gildenlow can, and with a sense of humor to boot.

As for the eclectic aspects of their sound, PoS (terrible, yet somehow fitting acronym) can't make it flow very well with the music, which is a shame since the band is clearly talented--they need to tighten up and improve their songwriting, and tone down the cheesiness a bit. Until then, I'll spend my time listening to Faith No More or Mr. Bungle. They did this sort of music first, and better.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Faith No More, Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    I don't really "get" the hype behind Pain of Salvation. I listened to Remedy Lane a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty awful. To me they sound like a second-rate Faith No More mixed with the worst aspects of Dream Theater. Daniel Gildenlow tries to do way too many things with his voice, not to mention he also has a penchant for being overly melodramatic, a la James Labrie. Mike Patton can pull off just about every vocal style better than Gildenlow can, and with a sense of humor to boot.

As for the eclectic aspects of their sound, PoS (terrible, yet somehow fitting acronym) can't make it flow very well with the music, which is a shame since the band is clearly talented--they need to tighten up and improve their songwriting, and tone down the cheesiness a bit. Until then, I'll spend my time listening to Faith No More or Mr. Bungle. They did this sort of music first, and better.

Don't know Faith No More or Mr. Bungle. But if you're telling me that they're up the same alley, then I should give 'em a listen.

Gildenlow is nothing like LaBrie, IMO. Sounds much more like Joe Puerta from Ambrosia.

Forum Regular
    Well there you have it.

Dave

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Lightbulb Well, not exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Don't know Faith No More or Mr. Bungle. But if you're telling me that they're up the same alley, then I should give 'em a listen..
    Faith No More and Mr. Bungle are not as "prog," I suppose, compared to PoS, but they are no less eclectic, and they do a better job of pulling it off. Plus they have a great, if slightly morbid, sense of humor and we all know that humor is anathema to you prog-types. ; P

Faith No More started out as a funk-rock band a la Red Hot Chili Peppers, but when they swapped out vocalist Chuck Mosely for Mike Patton, they decided to follow the muse of his previous outfit (Mr. Bungle) and incorporate lots of offbeat genres within their original sound. Their first Patton album, The Real Thing, threw in strains of rap, funk, metal (there is a note-for-note perfect cover of "War Pigs" on there), new wave, Middle Eastern, and even lounge music, and that was their most mainstream and commercially successful release (due mostly to the radio hit "Epic"). Later albums would get even more diverse and crazy as Patton got better as a vocalist and frontman, but the band peaked as a whole with Angel Dust, their last album with original guitarist Jim Martin.

Mr. Bungle is like Faith No More with the sane parts taken out, and the crazy genre-hopping often happens abruptly within the course of one song. Patton's vocals are just nuts on these albums--growls, screams, crooning, beat-boxing, raps, operatic singing, this guy does everything. Although Mr. Bungle was around in the late '80s, they didn't release their first album until 1991 or 1992. Their last album, California is both their most accessible release and their best, though I suggest you listen to Faith No More first before trying to get into Bungle, or it might be a tough act to follow.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've actually heard both Pain of Salvation and Faith No More (and a little bit of Mr. Bungle) -- one of my friends is a huge Mike Patton fan. Quite frankly, I don't see the analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    ...we all know that humor is anathema to you prog-types.
    Ha-ha, very funny.

PS If you want sense of humour -- and I mean, subtle -- you should check out Skyclad. A little more metal, a little less prog (than Pain of Salvation).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information