• 03-18-2006, 01:40 PM
    Davey
    Listening to 2005 through the ears of Jim Clark
    Don't think I've yet had the opportunity to give this JC year end comp its just due, but this is a smokin' good comp. Really nice overview of the current indie music scene, with a major tilt toward the retro sound of thelate 70s, early 80s. Nothing far out, but all still interesting and fun. Every time that Ladytron song starts I think it's gonna be Depeche Mode, until the ladies start singing. But DM comes soon enough. Too soon actually, as I don't care much for that overproduced white bread single. Goes with the overall retro sound of the comp though, since they seem to be stuck in a time warp. But nice job, Jim. Reminds me that there's a bunch of albums from last year that I'd still like to hear. Only problem is ... wish I'd made it ;)
  • 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
    Jim Clark
    Almost missed this thread.

Thanks for listening, glad there was some stuff to your liking there. Haven't found too much this year to get really excited about yet. Been playing the Hard Fi disc Stars Of CCTV, and like it OK. Very similar to Razor Light, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs et al., but there's always hope for the next disc.

Thanks again for listening,

jc
  • 03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
    audiobill
    It's Alive....!!
    Kudos to you Jim!!

I've been meaning to mention that your 2-disc set is just the right ticket for my 6-disc CD changer, in the car. (people still listen to CDs, right??) What has been the highlight for me on my daily commute is the "jc's 2005 - ALIVE" disc. There's something powerful in listening to several of the '05 bands live. Funny, but usually I'll seek out the studio version over the live version most of the time (audiophile anal-retentive tendency I have); but, man have I been missing out!! The Raveonettes, Editors, Wolf Parade, Elecrelane, and acoustic Erasure are standouts for me. There's a raw synergy there, that I've become accustomed to.......and that I now prefer to the studio versions.

In fact, jim, both discs have gone into the 6-disc changer and haven't come out, since the time I received them.

Great work compiling some awesome comps.

Thanks-a-ton & my apologies for not mentioning anything earlier,

Bill
  • 03-22-2006, 05:55 AM
    Jim Clark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobill
    Kudos to you Jim!!

I've been meaning to mention that your 2-disc set is just the right ticket for my 6-disc CD changer, in the car. (people still listen to CDs, right??) What has been the highlight for me on my daily commute is the "jc's 2005 - ALIVE" disc. There's something powerful in listening to several of the '05 bands live. Funny, but usually I'll seek out the studio version over the live version most of the time (audiophile anal-retentive tendency I have); but, man have I been missing out!! The Raveonettes, Editors, Wolf Parade, Elecrelane, and acoustic Erasure are standouts for me. There's a raw synergy there, that I've become accustomed to.......and that I now prefer to the studio versions.

In fact, jim, both discs have gone into the 6-disc changer and haven't come out, since the time I received them.

Great work compiling some awesome comps.

Thanks-a-ton & my apologies for not mentioning anything earlier,

Bill

Thank you. I thought that live disc was pretty freaking awesome. Glad someone else liked it too. I tried to make it as seamless as possible and failed, but overall I thought it turned out pretty good in that regard. At the very least it was an original idea-compwise at least. Wish the BSP track had a bit more body but these were some really great recordings overall.

Thanks for the mention.

Regards,
    jc