It's Tuesday Somewhere

Well, I'm a bit early (or really really late) for the Tuesday thread.

I pulled an old RaveRec comp from the vault this week:

DBI/Davey's A Decade of Alt-Country. Lotsa good tunage on this one.

Also spun this week:

The Little Willies. (excellent recording)

Neko Case & Her Boyfriends - Furnace Room Lullaby

Angie Palmer - Road

Jay Farrar - Live in Seattle

The Best of John Hiatt

James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
    (best disc I've found since Micah P. Hinson)

Sam Cooke - Portrait of a Legend 1951-1964

Stevie Wonder - Looking Back (vinyl triple LP - Motown Records)

Will The Circle Be Unbroken (another vinyl triple LP)

The Duhks - s/t

What you RaveReccers been listening to?

JD

ps - I feel like I need a guest pass, since I've only posted here sparingly in '06.

Last edited by JDaniel; 03-21-2006 at 03:59 AM.
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel

James Blunt - Back to Bedlam[/b] (best disc I've found since Micah P. Hinson)

I've only heard that one song (Beautiful) and it drives me nuckin futs

BTW: Drop in any time...cool to see ya round these parts

too bad about the Vols men's Bball team, but we always got The Lady Vols to count on...did you see that girl dunk ?

when she's dancing close to me

I can hear machinery
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Great list as usual there Jeff! I picked up Back to Bedlam, but haven't had a chance for more than an initial listen.

My heavy spinners for the past few days fall mostly in the folk arena with a couple of rockers thrown in -

Golden Smog ~ On Golden Smog
    Third Road Home ~ Venus in Retrograde
    Heather Waters ~ Shadow of You
    Carter Wood ~ Unspoken
    Warren Haynes ~ Live At Bonnaroo

-dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

BTW: Drop in any time...cool to see ya round these parts
    This album reminds me somewhat of another that I thought was excellent a couple years back - Damien Rice - O. IMHO Back To Bedlam a very complete album - solid from start to finish, both music and song-writing. I think I read where the guy was a British soldier in the Gulf War, and this is his first album upon returning from war.

too bad about the Vols men's Bball team, but we always got The Lady Vols to count on...did you see that girl dunk ?
    Yep - saw her slammin'. Pretty impressive. I don't think any team of us RaveReccers could beat them in a pickup game. And I guess this shows my ignorance, but I didn't know Army had a women's bball team. Do all the acadamies have them?

JD
    Last edited by JDaniel; 03-21-2006 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave918

Warren Haynes ~ Live At Bonnaroo

-dave
    While I like W.H., I thought this album is about 10 songs too many. Hearing him live, alone, on stage was great for about the first 10 songs. But 20+ just wore me out trying to listen in one or two sessions. Perhaps if he'd have had a band accompanying him in the middle somewhere?

JD

Yep, it's Tuesday here, too. The discs that did the trick for me during the sessions were:

Natalie Merchant - Motherland
    10.000 Maniacs - In my Tribe
    Christy Moore - Smoke and strong Whiskey
    Graham Parker - The Mona Lisa's Sister
    Stan Ridgway - The Big Heat
    Nick Cave - The good son
    The Rainmakers - Skin
    Martin Stephenson and the Daintees - Boat to Bolivia

Let's see what this week brings

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    While I like W.H., I thought this album is about 10 songs too many. Hearing him live, alone, on stage was great for about the first 10 songs. But 20+ just wore me out trying to listen in one or two sessions. Perhaps if he'd have had a band accompanying him in the middle somewhere?

JD
    Not me, I haven't been able to get enough of this disk yet. My disk only has 16 cuts on it - I think. I'll have to check.

-dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    A friend of mine burned a copy of this disk for me because he thought that I would like it. I didn't. I can see why it has such wide appeal in a John Mayer kind of way, but it just wasn't for me.

I spent a lot of time in my car and working from home this week, which is always a good combination for lots of listening time....

Rheostatics - Whale Music
    Colin James - Limelight and Traveler
    Beck - Odelay - I bought this a while ago based on recs here. I'm just not digging it. One of the few recommended purchases from this board that just didn't appeal to me.
    Tea Party - Seven Circles
    Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis?
    Treble Charger - Detox
    Luke Doucet - Broken
    Luke Doucet - Outlaws - This is a live disk. After only one spin all I can say is that I barely recognize that this is the same artist that did Broken. I definately need to spend more time with this before deciding on an opinion.
    Finger Eleven - S/T
    Matchbox Romance - Voices - I like to walk around the CD store and randomly pick up the listening-station headphones for CDs that I've never heard of. That's how I ended up with this great metal CD. I've only spun it once, but there's enough Dream Theater influence heard here to interest me. I'll post more about it after a few more spins.

Tapes 'n' Tapes - The Loon
    The jury's still out on this one. It sounds decent so far, but I've only given it one spin.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
    I tend to forget how much I like this until I pull it out and spin the sucker. Just one great song after another.

Pulp - This Is Hardcore

The Russian Futurists - Our Thickness

I also watched Burn To Shine Vol. 1, which is a film put together by Brendan Canty and others. They had 8 artists play in a house that was scheduled to be destroyed (it had been donated to the fire dept. for training purposes). Each band got an hour to set up and play one song in the living room of this house. It's really a cool film and includes performances by Q and Not U, Ted Leo, and Bob Mould.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Rheostatics - Whale Music
    Colin James - Limelight and Traveler
    Beck - Odelay - I bought this a while ago based on recs here. I'm just not digging it. One of the few recommended purchases from this board that just didn't appeal to me.
    Tea Party - Seven Circles
    Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis?
    Treble Charger - Detox
    Luke Doucet - Broken
    Luke Doucet - Outlaws - This is a live disk. After only one spin all I can say is that I barely recognize that this is the same artist that did Broken. I definately need to spend more time with this before deciding on an opinion.
    Finger Eleven - S/T
    Matchbox Romance - Voices - I like to walk around the CD store and randomly pick up the listening-station headphones for CDs that I've never heard of. That's how I ended up with this great metal CD. I've only spun it once, but there's enough Dream Theater influence heard here to interest me. I'll post more about it after a few more spins.
    This list is more Canadian then my toque eh? But you missed The Tragically Hip

I've tried that Beck album a few times and it''s not for me, although there are a couple of good tunes on it.

Tuesday again?

Farpoint - From Dreaming to Dreaming. This one came from Richmon, and I'm digging it. Very nice, but simple and melodic, prog. Outstanding guitar work and dual male/female vocals.

The Robert Fripp String Quintet - The Bridge Between. This one features Trey Gunn and the California Guitar Trio. Some good stuff, but mostly background music.

Donald ***an - Morph The Cat. Better than the last few Dan albums, but doesn't come close to the brilliance of The Nightfly. Not a bad disk, but it's more of the same.

Riverside - Out of Myself. A good album, on the prog-metal side, but not heavy.

The Lens - s/t. This is Orford/Martin material from pre-IQ re-recorded around 2000.

good haul at the used cd joint

Recently spent 2K on a CD player, so I've been a spinnin fool, most of these were selected for their good sonics:

Sarah McLachlan 'Fumbling towards estacy' - a desert island disc for me.
    King Crimson 'Lizard'
    Tonic 'Lemon Parade'
    Genesis 'Trespass'
    Porcupine Tree 'Coma Devine and Lightbulb Sun'
    Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms'

And from the used joint..
    Kate Bush 'Aerial'
    Dream Theatre 'Train of thought' -this just may be my fav DT release, seems to balance the riffing, the vox and the song craft evenly. Other releases usually mix in the riffing or vox a bit too generously at the expense of the melody.
    Tony Levin band 'Expresso' -real fine live two cd set
    Caravan 'The Cantebury collection' -a two cd best of that only has three songs from grey+pink. Real fine job of collecting the best songs from the rest of the catalog.
    Pink Floyd 'The division bell' -second tier for PF, but still some good songs here.

42 Regular
    I've been listening to plenty of stuff lately, but I'll be damned if I can remember half of it...

Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
    What Stone said...jury's still out. But so far so good. Thanks much to Slosh for the linky.

Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon
    After the recent thread on this one, I stopped trying to figure out how to get the DVD stereo track onto a CD-R and just put the disc in the player without the video on, and played it while watching college hoops. Much more entertaining than the on-air personalities. And a darned fine recording, all things considered.

Spoon - Kill the Moonlight
    Some TV show (I don't remember which) was using "The Way We Get By" on a promo, piquing my interest. This one continues to grow on me, and I might just like it as much as Gimme Fiction now.

Andrew Bird - Mysterious Production of Eggs
    When you're in a mood for it, it really hits the spot. Consistently clever and enjoyable stuff.

Porky Tree - In Absentia
    Ditto.

The Yes Album and Relayer
    The former is so much better than the latter. TYA captures them as a talented young band that is just starting to run at 100% capacity. Relayer has its moments, for sure...but it simply never measures up overall (for me).
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddL
    This list is more Canadian then my toque eh? But you missed The Tragically Hip
    You know, I didn't even notice that. I was just listening to some great tunes.

FWIW, The Hip was on last week's list.

Forum Regular
    Voyager One - Monster Zero, got my hands on a earlier disc and it's more of the same with an even bigger nod to early 90s sounds.

Joanna Newsom - Milk Eyed Mender, she crops up on an advert for T-mobile so had to dig this one out, nice recording too.

Mystery Jets - Making Dens, touted as 'Dadrock' mmm not sure about this.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm, easily one of my faves from last year.

Morning Runner - Wilderness is Paradise Now, had high hopes for this but not doing much for me at the moment.

The Delays - You See Colours
    The Wolves - My Latest Novel
    Mum - Finally We Are No One, absolutely love this album

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Just came across a group called the Switches, the just finished a UK tour. Anyone heard of them?

Me too!

Caravan - Land Of Grey & Pink - I really only care for about three songs on this disc, but they're great songs. The rest is just dopey. Nine Feet Underground is stellar though, even at 22 minutes I've had this one over two years now, and just can't get used to some of the twee songs like the title track, Golf Girl, or Love To Love You.

Triumvirat - Illusion On A Double Dimple - two 20 minute plus songs, but they're as good as any epic length songs I've ever heard

Ritual - Think Like a Mountain I love Ritual, I hope there's more to come

Jadis - Fanatic I love Jadis. Who said these guys were IQ lite? ->they're better

Marillion - Marbles - oh brother...these guys are veheminately denying any legacy to the Fish era (or Prog for that matter), so they distinguish themselves by aping Porcupine Tree or Dead Soul Tribe or anyone else, rather than just being original. nice.

Transatlantic - SMPTe - I have the second one, Bridge Across Forever, but this one is better, by a long shot. SMPTe has more of a Tangent/Flower Kings vibe, whereas BAF may as well have been a Spock's Beard album.

Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat - hhmmm....I know that I'll revisit this album and pick up on all the nuances and wry wit and uncanny story telling and the like...but this is starting to sound all too familiar. After all, we're not use to so much Steely Dan/ Fagen material so close together (three albums in a 6 year span!). Some of these tunes sound somewhat recycled, but its still impecably produced and sounds great. Maybe even better than the last SD album, Everything Must Go. But unlike his other two solo albums, which seemed to have their own 'sound' independant of Steely Dan, this one could very well be a Steely Dan album.

Tons and tons of stuff...

now if only I can remember all of them. Let's see:

Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun
    Semisonic - The Great Divide (what a shame they ended up in the gutter after this nice cd)
    Honeydogs - 10,000 Years
    Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted - Remastered Version
    Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant -Stratosphere Boogie
    Editors - The Back Room
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
    Johnny Cash - Unearthed
    Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft

And that's about all I can remember at the moment.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Mum - Finally We Are No One, absolutely love this album

Cheers
    Mike
    Totally agree...my favorite from a band that's got a few that I really like. The 2x10" vinyl is a wonderful bonus touch too. Perfect for really late at night or early in the morning.

Tuesday carnage....

Thanks for getting the thread up and going, JD.

Been away on vacation for the 10 days past, or so. Mostly, iPod listening but all of it done in Arizona -- man what a beautiful state & what a beautiful country you Americans have -- totally blown away by this state!!

Blue Oyster Cult - Godzilla
    Davendra Banhrt - Chinese Children
    Nick Drake - The Thoughts of Mary Jane
    Nickelback - See You At the Show
    Bob Dylan - It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
    The Who - A Legal Matter
    Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya
    The Rolling Stones - Get Off My Cloud
    The Beatles - Carry the Weight
    Eric Burdon & War - Spill the Wine
    The Who - Love Is Coming Down
    Black Sabbath - Back Street Kids
    Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
    Nick Drake - Cello Song

These are some of the last few songs, primarily listened to on the flight home.

Happy Tunesday, you crazy rave recers!!

audiobill

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Semisonic - The Great Divide (what a shame they ended up in the gutter after this nice cd)
    I'll second that. Great power pop with a lot of depth on repeated listenings.

Here's my stack:

The Specials - Hurrah's, NYC - July 1979 (FM)
    Allman Bros. - Live Eat A Peach - XM Radio - Sept 29/29, 2004
    Can - Radio Waves (rarities/remastered boot from o.o.p vinyl)
    Funkadelic - Denver, 1976 (soundboard) (holy GAWD!)
    Devo - Old Waldorf, San Francisco - Nov 11, 1978 (KSAN-FM)
    Duke Ellington - Blues In Orbit (MFSL)
    Joe Walsh - Barnstorm (MFSL silver) A moody, darkly beautiful American classic work of art. Period. There's nothing else quite like it. (Okay, another period.)
    WAR - All Day Music (20-bit Avenue Gold)
    Paco de Lucia Plays Manuel de Falla
    John Coltrane - Soultrane (MFSL)
    Spirit - The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus (MFSL silver)

DBI/Davey's A Decade of Alt-Country. Lotsa good tunage on this one.
    That was a pretty nice one. Never really managed to follow up on it with another wave of alt-country talent (although I kinda turned it into a mock Trilogy with my Twilight and Down The Road comps), but a few people around here past and present like Whooptee and DLD and tentoze and probably your own self made some pretty nice country leaning collections that could almost be called a follow on. But that one did have a little bit of magic in the mix.

I listened to a few comps myself this past week.

Listened to that great yearender from JC that I talked a little about in its own thread.

And pulled out the amazing just a few things bin runnin through my head... by chrisnz from a couple years ago. Bad comp. But that means good. Love that "lamentations, lamentations, lamentations worldwide" sample that opens the Lyrics Born track. Great song. Time for action before the last trumpet sounds.

And spun some of Jar's Dreaming I Am, and a few others like ....
    Manitoba - Up In Flames
    Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
    Beethoven 6 - Klemperer
    Richard Davies - Telegraph
    and whatever is in my sig right now...

John McDermott Grts Hits

The Elected Sun,Sun,Sun

Little Willies

Thread Information