Best Albums of 2015 (so far)

Anything you've been really impressed with so far?

Mentioned in another thread, I love the new Marriages Salome record. That's probably my favorite so far. Really like the singer and guitarist Emma Ruth Rundle's solo Some Heavy Ocean from last year, and the Marriages debut EP Kitsune from 2012 too.

And the Marika Hackman debut this year, kind of a folk music buddy of the great Laura Marling who also has a really nice record out this year, I just like listening to it a lot, We Slept At Last. It's not gonna be in many best of the year lists, but I really like it.

And the latest from Jim O'Rourke is pretty special, he doesn't often put out these pop vocal records, and so his new Simple Songs is a real treat for fans.

Sleater-Kinney, Maribou State, Jenny Hval, Mount Eerie, Natalie Prass, Steven Wilson, those are some others I like, what are some on your list? Upcoming new ones from PJ Harvey and Julia Holter that I'm really looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Anything you've been really impressed with so far?

Mentioned in another thread, I love the new Marriages Salome record. That's probably my favorite so far. Really like the singer and guitarist Emma Ruth Rundle's solo Some Heavy Ocean from last year, and the Marriages debut EP Kitsune from 2012 too.

And the Marika Hackman debut this year, kind of a folk music buddy of the great Laura Marling who also has a really nice record out this year, I just like listening to it a lot, We Slept At Last. It's not gonna be in many best of the year lists, but I really like it.

And the latest from Jim O'Rourke is pretty special, he doesn't often put out these pop vocal records, and so his new Simple Songs is a real treat for fans.

Sleater-Kinney, Maribou State, Jenny Hval, Mount Eerie, Natalie Prass, Steven Wilson, those are some others I like, what are some on your list? Upcoming new ones from PJ Harvey and Julia Holter that I'm really looking forward to.
    I do like the Jim O'Rourke as well as Currents by Tame Impala, and I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty. I ordered the latest Destroyer (Poison Season) and probably need the new Bjork titled Vulnicura. Heard some of Natalie Prass and will likely buy that too, ditto the latest from Speedy Ortiz.

Not a bad year so far.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Better year this year than last for me and new stuff. Highly regarded:

J. D. McPherson~ Let The Good Times Roll
    Ray Wylie Hubbard~ The Ruffian's Misfortune
    Ryan Bingham~ Fear & Saturday Night

And there are more...
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

The new Ghost, Meliora, is pretty rockin'. More than I can say for the new Sword or that Arcs disc. Bleagh. I haven't found a Dan Auerbach band I like yet.

One review of Meliora says "Blue Oyster Cult with extra Satanism for her pleasure."

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    So far one of these three is my album of the year. Too early to decide, as I have three months till the end of the year. First there's "Heavy on the Beach" by Grand Tour. Second is "Grand Experiment" by The Neal Morse Band. Lastly "4626-ComfortZone" by Beardfish. Sometimes I go through a whole year without picking up any new music, so this is sort of monumental for me.

Name:  Heavy on the Beach.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  3.4 KBName:  Grand Experiment.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  3.2 KBName:  4626 Confort Zone.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  4.0 KB
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Lot of good records this year, listening to the new Evening Hymns right now, Quiet Energies. Really nice. Song and video below from one of their earlier records ... this one not much different, still that pastoral folk music sound ...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Somone on the board got me hooked on Josh Ritter. One listen and I'm liking the new one currently pre-streaming on NPR
    First Listen: Josh Ritter, 'Sermon On The Rocks' : NPR
    TCA ATT GGA

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff View Post
    Somone on the board got me hooked on Josh Ritter. One listen and I'm liking the new one currently pre-streaming on NPR
    First Listen: Josh Ritter, 'Sermon On The Rocks' : NPR
    Yea, I've only heard the "Getting Ready To Get Down" single, and it's a barrel of monkeys. Josh Ritter is A-OK with me. Looking forward to hearing more from that one.

BTW, anyone that is still spinning vinyl, I recently picked up Josh Ritter's amazing Hello Starling on vinyl after years of enjoying the CD, and have to say, wow, many of you would love this for both the music and sound. Really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Lot of good records this year, listening to the new Evening Hymns right now, Quiet Energies. Really nice. Song and video below from one of their earlier records ... this one not much different, still that pastoral folk music sound ...

Me likes. Will have to look into this one.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Me likes. Will have to look into this one.
    Yea, it's good, though this new one hasn't totally yanked me in yet. I was kinda hoping it would be a little more like that amazing Mutual Benefit Love's Crushing Diamond from a couple years ago in that regard, something really special out of nowhere, but probably not. Love that record, wonder if they have something new coming up? Love's Crushing Diamond playing now, and as always, pretty special. In case anyone missed it ...

We woke for golden morning hours
    Just to soak in all the power
    We weren't made to be this way
    We weren't made to be afraid

Thread Information