Anybody here mix Pixies and vinyl?

Sounds kind of erotic in a pixie-like fantasy kind of way, not meaning to imply that I ever fantasize about being overcome by a band of (strictly over 18 year old) pixie girls wearing vinyl, but I'm talking more like Doolittle on vinyl? Man, I love this album and just can't get enough of it, but I only have the CD. I know there's been a few different vinyl pressings including the WEA 180 gm version widely available now, but do any of you audiophile snobs have any inside info on this one? Was it even recorded on analog tape? I know that Albini probably recorded Surfer Rosa on analog tape, but what about Doolittle which he wasn't involved in? Still sounds pretty nice on CD with tons of unrestricted dynamics and good bass. Really have to crank the old volume knob. Most new CDs are mastered with so much compression that I barely have to move it off the stop, so love it when I can crank it up to 12 o'clock or more these days! Right now, and for the remainder of this year, I'm declaring Doolittle the best album of the 80s!

i've got it on vinyl, but can't help you with any info about the recording process.

So I just whipped out my ...uhhh....copy, and as I peruse the label, there's nothing about the recording process. It's on 4Ad, a division of Warner Elektra Asylum.

Sorry, no interesting tidbits. Move along folks...nothing to see here.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

to me DOOLITTLE sounds like the band said.. "ok, that Albini guy is a complete *******, but still, try to make it sound like SUFER ROSA, just warmer"

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    to me DOOLITTLE sounds like the band said.. "ok, that Albini guy is a complete *******, but still, try to make it sound like SUFER ROSA, just warmer"

-jar
    Hehehe, I don't think I know the story of Albini vs the Pixies. Was there one? I've always loved the sound of Doolittle, especially nowadays as more and more artists are redoing their catalogs to make them more modern sounding (ie compressed and LOUD ), but I think a lot of it is in the more melodic nature of the songs too. It's just more pop sounding overall and I think their most accessible by far. Funny, I love the sound on that Slint album after the time of Albini too. And I love the sound of PJ Harvey's first album, before the time of Albini. Hmmm, but I thought I loved Albini? Oh yeah, that Wedding Present album that Albini recorded is all aces and face cards! I do love his stuff. He has recorded some of my favorite albums in the modern era. Wish he could do more, and also wish he had complete control on the mastering too. Some of them take those beautifully dynamic recordings and add a bunch of compression when they master the CD. Wonder if that kind of ticks him off at all, or if he just says whatever, it's your record

Yes, there was a big Albini vs. Pixies thing that happened after he recorded SURFER ROSA, like he thought they were a bunch of arrogant punks or something, and the Pixies hated the way the record sounded (even though I've always thought that DOOLITTLE wasn't all that different).. I was trying to find it, I think it might have been in MAXIMUM ROCK N ROLL but I'm not sure, if I find a link to it I'll put it up.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Thread Information