Forum Regular

American Idol -- anyone?

My last post has established some level of cred, so let me ask a completey uncool question: Is anyone here following American Idol this season? I just can't get enough of that show, even though much of it is cheesy. If so, who are you rooting for this season? I know it's cool to root for Blake, and I've liked him a lot ever since that classy Keane "Somewhere Only We Know" performance he did in the semi-finals, but I tell you, I'm liking Jordin Sparks the best of all. She's so infectuous and a really powerful set of pipes, but she stays modern and fresh unlike Melinda. Melinda is obviously a technically awesome singer but she doesn't excite me. Also, I will miss Haley's physical attributes and general cheesy charm now that she's gotten kicked off (justifiably). I was rooting for Phil to go away; he just gets on my nerves. I think the judges often get it wrong (and they're kind of idiots generally a lot of the time), and I guess so do the voters, but I just plain like that show.

Also, as long as I'm already opening myself up to elitist mockery, that former Idol Carrie Underwood has some really great singles that I can't help but hearing because they're everywhere. That song "Wasted", which seems to be about an alcholic that decides to quit, is really catchy and powerful. She seems like something special to me, despite the fact that she trades in over-slick musically unoriginal pop-country.

My wife loves this show, so I see it every week. I'm not at all thrilled with this season. Except for Jordin Sparks you can just keep them all IMO.
    Carrie Underwood is not bad, and came from a season with lots of eye candy. She did a great job of topping the charts last year. Last season was good with the eye candy too. Chris was the best singer and didn't win, but was good enough to make a career out of it even though he didn't make the finals. Taylor has a lot of personality but wouldn't have made it big without his win. This season? Shoot me now. Nothing left but to actually listen to them. Blechk...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I gotta say that this is the type of show that trivializes the music industry, musical talent, and music appreciation. I wouldn't be caught dead watching this show. I've seen enough of it to know the details of it and it's like the plague...sweeping the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    I know it's cool to root for Blake
    Dude, it is not cool to root for anyone on American Idol.

But, feel free to enjoy.

Never.

I don't like others.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    My last post has established some level of cred, so let me...
    ...completely undo your cred.

Dude, you watch American Idol? (laughs and points)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Maybe you'd be happier over here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=106&pp=30
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    My wife loves this show, so I see it every week. I'm not at all thrilled with this season. Except for Jordin Sparks you can just keep them all IMO.
    Carrie Underwood is not bad, and came from a season with lots of eye candy. She did a great job of topping the charts last year. Last season was good with the eye candy too. Chris was the best singer and didn't win, but was good enough to make a career out of it even though he didn't make the finals. Taylor has a lot of personality but wouldn't have made it big without his win. This season? Shoot me now. Nothing left but to actually listen to them. Blechk...
    I liked Gina's performances, I liked Stephanie Edwards, I thought Haley was nice to look at, and it is true that there are some lame singers still left. Forgetting about Sanjaya for the moment, I mostly don't get why the judges like Chris Richardson so much (although I thought his "Don't Speak" was good).

I'm quite ready to believe that this season sucks vs. certain prior ones. I only started watching Idol towards the end of last season, so I can't comment on that. I did think Chris Daughtry was the best. I was prejudiced against Katherine McPhee because she was un-rock-n-roll and so cheesy (her cheesy smile when singing "Hound Dog", which is a blues song, was painful to me). But in retrospect she is a much better singer, or at least much better "star", than Taylor Hicks.

Idol is responsible for a lot of musically bad or cheesy stuff, but Kelly Clarkson has made some really good tracks, Carrie Underwood too, as I mentioned. And Jennifer Hudson was amazing in Dreamgirls.

Rae
    As much as I want to back you up on these Pop matters, D, American Idol does play to the blandest, blandest angles of our nature.

That said, yeah, Kelly Clarkson did have some damn catchy singles.

~Rae

I'm afraid I have to come outta da closet and admitt to watching Idol (though I've missed the last three weeks of it).

My take: the men in this year's competition for the most part suck; the women far and away outclass the men. This year has been a watershed for eye-candy AFAIC; but they're all but gone, except for Sparks, who's a cutie, but not quite the Barbie of past seasons. (and yeah, I think looks get votes) Holy crap but that Haley was fun to look at (she wasn't going to win anyway).

But like I said, the male performers are a joke. Lakisha is the sentimental favorite, and the best singer, but even she won't out last he Senjaya phenomina. Melinda shouldn't count because she has already been a paid performer (ok, backup singer) and I really have aproblem with her oversized head and no-neck appearance.

I like what Senjaya has done with/to the show. He is everything that most people would say was wrong with the music industry. If he makes the top two or three, then this should be a death nell for the show (Simon pulled his UK version of this show because of a similar occurance). But I'm glad Senjaya has had so much success because he amplifies everything that wrong about the music industry. Even if he gets kicked off in the coming weeks, this won't be the last we hear from this dude. He has massive appeal among teenaged girls, and now he shows he can sing in Spanish!?! (sarcasm)Between his ability to appeal to Hispanics and his own racial background, he must virtually own every phone switchboard and customer service center in the world. If only he could sing in a few Asian dialects..(/sarcasm).

But in all seriouslessness, If the winner of this year's compettiton isn't named Jordin, Lakisha or Melinda, then this season is a total farce.

My favorite part of the show is long since over with anyway; the open auditions. What a hoot! All those delusional people...what a riot.

Friends don't let friends watch American Idol.

Ok, I have watched it, but I only truly enjoy the earlier segments with all the horrible singers. After that all you hear are sappy ballads and the like, with no musical abilities in play other than a singing voice. The song selections are usually rubbish and most of the singing just a notch above karaoke in my opinion.

In the end, they are just singers, right? So who cares? If they wrote and composed the song it would completely different, but alas, that is not going to happen. I think it's funny that someone as detestable as that Sanjaya (spelling?) is still on because of the "Vote for the Worst" effort going on. It's really quite funny to see she is still there, despite the fact that she sucks giant hippo balls.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Is this where I'm supposed to every dawg, and woof or something?

I did watch last season for the first time, but havent watched at all this season. Maybe if that Paula Abdul wasn't so absolutely clueless I'd make more time, because as a show it could sometimes be somewhat entertaining.

On a somewhat related note, have any my American friends here heard of the last Canadian Idol winner; Eva Avila? I thought she had "star" written all over her. maybe I was wrong.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    . . . . .In the end, they are just singers, right? So who cares? . . . .

I think it's funny that someone as detestable as that Sanjaya (spelling?) is still on because of the "Vote for the Worst" effort going on. It's really quite funny to see she is still there, despite the fact that she sucks giant hippo balls.

Swish
    I didn't start this thread to defend or argue for American Idol, so I haven't minded the negative comments, although I have enjoyed more hearing the views of the couple folks that have mentioned that they are watching the show. That being said, I felt I had to raise my hand about your statement about them being "just singers so who cares?" As a music fan, that is just a completely bothersome statement to me. I mean, Aretha Franklin was just a singer; Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra were just singers, Diana Ross and Ronnie Spector are just singers, Patsy Cline was just a singer. Why would a true music fan not care because these are just singers???? There are a lot of reasons not to care about American Idol if you're not in to pop culture -- fair enough -- but if you're into music I don't think the fact that they are just singers should be one of them; it's a very narrowing statement. Sounds like Rockism at its worst.

Also, nice job of showing your qualification to comment on the latest season: Sanjaya is a "he", not a she. If your use of "she" was a purposeful joke, then I withdraw the comment.

Sanjaya is a "he", not a she.
    Sure he is

Thread Information