King Crimson - Deja Vrooom (DVD) a review

First off, I'm probably not one to read for a real DVD review. Unless the video quality is really crappy or something, I'm not going to give it much notice. I'm more concerned with the sound quality and so far, I've not heard any that sucked in that reguard. I haven't been blown away by any special features either, and that brings me to Deja Vroom.

This disc features a few of the songs with different view angles. One of the songs, Vroom, has up to 7 angles, or in this case, points of reference. Each band member gets an up close and personal treatment, with his instrument emphasized in the sound mix. Very clever. Also, there is an interactive section that gives the viewer a chance to hear 21st Century Schitzoid Band, where you can mix and interchange the rythm sections, solo, and vocal sections from previous lineups of King Crimson, to "produce" a unique version of the song 21 Century Schitzoid Man. But talk about schitzoid, a lot of bandwidth is taken up by 'documentation' (yeah, they expect you to read your TV!) concerning Fripps legal battles over artistic domain, as well as his rebuking of certain critics over the years. I might would rather have heard an interview, or seen an old TV apperance or something, but that was a little too self serving for me.

Performance wise, I liked this a lot. Perhaps 'live' is the best way to enjoy this material, because there is a lot going on to keep you occupied. Songs that fall flat for me on CD, like Talking Drum, Thrak and Coda Marine 475, are infinitely more interesting, seeing the band perform them as well as hearing them. Its a better way to appreciate Fripp's twin engine approach, which didn't seem to translate very well on CD. But here, it makes the show. Good track list too, which is why I chose this disc in the first place, with its generous mix of '70s and '80s material. But having seen this, I will be looking for the latest one, Eyes Wide Open.

Thanks for the review. I have been meaning to get this. Krim live, whether it's on cd or dvd is el supremo.

Say, was Fripp kinda "in the dark" during this performance? His stage presence is very low key on Eyes Wide Open. He's dimly lit and always seated as if to be purposely in the background. To not be noticed if you will. Excellent DVD nonetheless. Get it soon.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Actually, yes Fripp was

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Say, was Fripp kinda "in the dark" during this performance? His stage presence is very low key on Eyes Wide Open. He's dimly lit and always seated as if to be purposely in the background. To not be noticed if you will. Darren
    All the other performers had spotlights on them except Fripp, who was seated, directly behind and above Belew, and never was illumintaed during solos or even when he was emphasized during the Vrooom thing. Strange dude.

And yes, I will get the Eyes Wide Open DVD.

Forum Regular
    In general Robert Fripp does NOT want to be in the limelight, he concentrates on playing that guitar and his electronic gizmos.

Cool band tho huh.

Dave

Eyes Wide Open is the much better DVD.

So much of Deja Vroom seems to be too contrasty and the lighting is too contrasty.

Musically, both are killer.

Thread Information