the Killers have a new album out...sorta

I've heard it, and I'm underwhelmed. This seems like a sort of cash-in...a collection of rejects and covers, and curious covers at that, what with the note-for-note redux of Kenny Rogers' Ruby (don't take your love to town) and Dire Straits' Romeo & Juliet, Joy Division's Shadowplay, plus a dance remix of Mr Brightsides, a hospital zone version of Sam's Town and a rather pointless redux of Change Your Mind.

There are a few good tracks on here, a few of which were B-sides, but in the day of the CD, why weren't these included on the original releases? And why release them now? Did Sam's Town tank or something? Does anybody buy singles any more?

Even when some of the covers sound like they might be a good fit, they disappoint; they start out like good ideas but are marred by an out of place over-the-top vocal delivery. Some tracks sound like dressed up demos. It isn't a mystery why many of these stayed in the can, especially the duet with Lou Reed, Tranquilizer, which sounds like a dis-interested Reed mailed in his vocals.

I have no idea why they'd record a song like Ruby...to introduce a new generation of listeners to Kenny Rogers and The First Edition? I'd rather hear Condition in that case. Maybe it was done tongue-in-cheek. Hard to give them the benefit of the doubt what with the slap-dash effort in all the other songs. I don't know why lead singer Brandon Flowers feels the need to go for Star Search gold on these songs, when a more sedate approach would have sufficed. Proof once again you can't let the quarterback coach. The band has some rather good moments, but like I said before, the vox detract from what could have been releasable songs.

Boy, after Hot Hot Heat lost their formula after one album, it looks now like these guys have. I liked Hot Fuss a lot, but thought Sam's Town underachieved as a follow-up. After this release, they should change their name to The Fillers.

Last edited by 3-LockBox; 01-21-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Thanks for the review 3LB. I've had this CD in my hands a few times but never made it to the cash register with it because I wanted to know more about it first. It sounds like I made a good decision.

I love Hot Fuss. I didn't like Sam's Town initially. I spun it a few times, thought "meh" and filed it. But then I pulled it out again about 6 months later and found that the more I listened the more I liked it. It's not as good as Hot Fuss. But there are some good tunes on it that I enjoy. The "new" CD aside, I'm not quite ready to write them off just yet.

Thread Information