Kevin Gilbert's Shaming of The True now available

Pop Plus One has it for $16.00us, as well as a live CD from his Thud tour.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Yikes! Plus $10 to ship to Canada. If I'm going to pay for shipping is there anything else on that site that I should be considering? I like to try to lower the average shipping cost per disk by ordering several disks.

I have no idea why their shipping rates are so high. I just paid it and forgot about it, feeling it was a killer deal, considering that this album had been long OOP and it went for mega bucks on Ebay.

Thanks for posting about this knowing that there would be limited interest here. I just placed my order and they're even billing me in Canadian dollars!

I have a CDr copy that Barry made for me, but it will be nice to have the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    have a CDr copy that Barry made for me, but it will be nice to have the real thing.
    Why?

I mean, if you already have the music, why do you need to buy the disc? It's not like 'ol Kev needs the money . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Why?

I mean, if you already have the music, why do you need to buy the disc? It's not like 'ol Kev needs the money . . .
    Because I am a collector of fine CDs.

Because I am a collector of fine CDs.
    Me too. I've purchased several CD-Rs that others had given me over the years. That's the way your supposed to do it, isn't it?

I hope its a legit reissue, and not some fly-by-night boot copy. I bought a CD of Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record a few years ago and it turned out to be some Russian bootleg, with so much tape hiss that it may as well had been a cassette, which was prolly the source material anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I hope its a legit reissue, and not some fly-by-night boot copy. I bought a CD of Rick Wakeman's Criminal Record a few years ago and it turned out to be some Russian bootleg, with so much tape hiss that it may as well had been a cassette, which was prolly the source material anyway.
    Hmmmm. Maybe I should have let you order it and give it the all clear before I placed my order. Now you have me worried.

Me too. I've purchased several CD-Rs that others had given me over the years. That's the way your supposed to do it, isn't it?
    Sure, I do that too. Done it countless times.

But not when it means paying extra to buy it, especially if I already have the music.

Paying $10 to ship is a gouge and sounds fishy. Seeing people buying OOP stuff on ebay for $50-$100+ when there are free cd-rs of the exact same album floating around all over the place, I don't get it.

Are they buying the songs, or the "disc?" Which one is important?

Shaming of the True's pretty good. It feels unfinished to me. I dislike the use of several remixed Giraffe songs on it. Makes it feel padded.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Seeing people buying OOP stuff on ebay for $50-$100+ when there are free cd-rs of the exact same album floating around all over the place, I don't get it.

Are they buying the songs, or the "disc?" Which one is important?
    I think they are buying the disc. I think the songs are more important...after all, Kevin Gilbert is the greatest musician to ever walk the face of the earth...

I know better than to buy into all that hyperbole I see over at PE and elsewhere. I have only moderate expectations, thus I'm willing to shell out 16 bucks plus shipping. But no, I don't want to hear anything bad enough to pay over 20-30 bucks for it.

PE cracks me up though - they'll absolutely lavish praise on a piece of work or artist as if it were a competition to see who can heap it the most.

Hmmmm. Maybe I should have let you order it and give it the all clear before I placed my order. Now you have me worried.

Maybe I shoulda let you buy it first...

Actually, the MySpace page for KG lists PP1 as the source for this CD, so its prolly legit (maybe).

Maybe I shoulda let you buy it first...

Actually, the MySpace page for KG lists PP1 as the source for this CD, so its prolly legit (maybe).
    It never even occured to me that it might not be legit. But if it's not, it will be the first and last time that I ever order from PP1. Not a very good business plan if you want to stay in business.

Edit: I'll say one thing for PP1...they are fast. I ordered the disk yesterday morning and recieved an email at 3:00 yesterday to say it shipped.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 07-12-2008 at 08:48 AM.

I'll go you one better...mine came in today, the 12th, and I ordered it on the 9th.

I haven't listened to it yet, but it looks legit.

The sticker says "2008 remaster from original analog tapes". It also says, "dedicated to my whore ex-girlfriend Sheryl Crow" on the inside liner...............j/k

If its a boot, its a good boot, therefor worth the money (if it sounds good anyway).

Like Troy said, I don't think KG is looking for his cut.

Shame

I didn't know this was ever out of print from Pop Plus One. I bought mine years ago. It probably sounds unfinished because it was unfinished. DiVirgilio played a big part in getting it finished. He performed it live at Progfest one year, and word has it that it was professionally videotaped and recorded. I wish he'd release it. I think it's a great album. Gilbert worked on it for years.

I'll have to check my version to see if it has the same dedication and what it says about being remastered.

After a few listens, I'd say it was a good album. I don't know which songs are Giraffe songs, so that isn't an issue for me. Musically speaking, I've heard more memorable songs, but lyrically speaking, its a tour de force. The guy certainly knew how to turn a phrase. If only he knew how to manage his spare time.

After a few listens, I'd say it was a good album. I don't know which songs are Giraffe songs, so that isn't an issue for me. Musically speaking, I've heard more memorable songs, but lyrically speaking, its a tour de force. The guy certainly knew how to turn a phrase. If only he knew how to manage his spare time.
    That's how I feel about it too. It's not so much the music that turns me on with this disk as it is the message and the story that it tells. I just love the song about the record company execs.

Thanks for posting about this knowing that there would be limited interest here.
    And what post doesn't have limited interest in here? Besides the What Is Spinning thread?

fp

That was my first impression, but the more I listened, the more I loved it. My only complaint is that most of the songs go on for about two minutes too long. Who knows how it would have ended up if he had had more time to finish it. It's a bit weak in and around the ghetto of beautiful things - "I like to work with my hands." The man may have been a Grammy award winner, but he also knew how the music industry screws people.

BTW, my version has no dedication to his ex-girl-friend and former keyboard player. Maybe I'll listen to FA's remastered version to see if there is any sound difference.

Hey, given that the dedication wasn't in the original version, and the whole package was self-published and distributed, do you think the dedication is legit? Maybe it's a posthumous dedication!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    BTW, my version has no dedication to his ex-girl-friend and former keyboard player. Maybe I'll listen to FA's remastered version to see if there is any sound difference.
    Mine has shipped and been charged my credit card. But my experience with mail from the US is that it takes about three weeks. Unless it's from Amazon, somehow they still manage to get stuff to me in about three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Burial
    Hey, given that the dedication wasn't in the original version, and the whole package was self-published and distributed, do you think the dedication is legit? Maybe it's a posthumous dedication!
    I think that you missed the j/k after 3-LB's comment. j/k = joking in web-ese. teehehehe

I think that you missed the j/k after 3-LB's comment. j/k = joking in web-ese. teehehehe

Oh, Web-ese. I wish I knew how to use the web so I could get some web-ese.

Is that more like Lebanese than Cottage Cheese? Come on and tell me if you please.

Geez, Louise!

Well, my disk arrived yesterday. Two weeks from the US. Sadly, that's not bad.

I gave it a spin on the way to work this morning and the sound quality seems pretty good on my car speakers. Not a crappy bootleg...YAY.

I haven't looked at the 24 page insert yet, but it's on flat paper and not glossy. I'll have to compare it to BarryL's original to see whether there are differences.

Thread Information