• 07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
    Monkey Bones
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    Yes, I only listened to it in my car, but the recording is superb, the band tight, and the vocals totally captivating.

    Yeah, wait'll you get a chance to really sink down with it at home. Fun to hear a rock record with some real in-room presence. The stereo feel is really nice, especially on a song like I mentioned above, where Verity and Mia are trading lines, the voices come from different locations which really adds to the context. Not the zany distracting ping-pong stuff of those 60s stereo records like Hendrix and the Beatles, but much more subtle, and integrated with the music. Like a band playing together in a real space. Puts them in your room. I need to try some other records that were recorded by this team.
  • 08-10-2007, 01:08 PM
    Jim Clark
    Any more thoughts on the Interpol disc besides the crappy mastering? I never have pulled the trigger on that one despite my adoration of the first two. One bad review scared me off pretty fast. Talk about your fair weather fan.

    jc
  • 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Any more thoughts on the Interpol disc besides the crappy mastering?

    I'm not really that big a fan, but they do have a nice sound. Just wish it was more sympathetically presented. Hard to believe that the artists themselves want their music to be presented like this, with so much of the thought that must've went into making it nearly obscured by the high amount of compression, and peak limiting, and the resulting distortion, but I know many do want that in-your-face type of sound these days, regardless of the music type.

    I haven't listened to it much, but it doesn't strike me as much different from Antics, although that one surprised me since I came to it late and didn't expect to like it as much as I did, even though it was kind of short-lived. Still, seems like they left something out that they once knew...and I don't think they'll get it back. Heard the LP was a little better, but haven't seen any proof yet.
  • 11-09-2007, 05:57 AM
    Slosh
    1 Attachment(s)
    From outta nowhere!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Yea, good example of what I was just saying, without my love of all that ethereal guitar haze dream pop from the 80s, that in turn lead to my big love of the shoegaze bands of the 90s and a further exploration of the former, hard to imagine 23 making such a big impact on me. But I do love that mix of Cocteau Twins and My Bloody Valentine that they've grown into now, especially when mixed in with some of the harder guitar driven songs from earlier in their career, where they owed a little more to an unlikely (unholy?) mix of Abbey Road-era Beatles and Daydream-era Sonic Youth (and maybe even some spacey David Bowie). So many things I love now come dragging around a lot of Velvet Underground baggage from my misspent early rock and roll days.

    Hey, I'm listening to 23 right now for the first time and it sounds pretty damn good to me. I'll definitely have to use a track from this on my 2007 Overflow YEC. The only other Blonde Redhead I have is Melody Of Certain Damaged Lemons which I haven't listened to in a while. Guess I gotta copy the LP to CD-R then rip it to the computer so I can get it onto my mp3 player. :)

    NP: (duh!)
  • 11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
    Jim Clark
    And I finally got around to grabbing the Interpol and The Editors. Wow, can't believe I waited so long for either one. I'm digging.

    Already had Blonde Redhead. Like it, not totally digging it but then again, I don't dig Radiohead and this seems very similar in a lot of respects.

    jc
  • 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
    Mr MidFi
    I'm surprised you didn't get the Interpol earlier, Jim. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

    Despite the "wall of noise" production values, it'll prolly end up on my top 10 for '08.
  • 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM
    Jim Clark
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I'm surprised you didn't get the Interpol earlier, Jim. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

    Despite the "wall of noise" production values, it'll prolly end up on my top 10 for '08.

    I read this gawd awful review when it first came out. Like you and everyone else I buy way too many CDs and way too much gear. It seemed like a decent enough way to save 10 bucks. Of course my will power being what it is, I broke down. My bad, and I agree with you that it's pretty darned good, a top 10 contender for me as well.

    jc
  • 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I read this gawd awful review when it first came out. Like you and everyone else I buy way too many CDs and way too much gear. It seemed like a decent enough way to save 10 bucks. Of course my will power being what it is, I broke down. My bad, and I agree with you that it's pretty darned good, a top 10 contender for me as well.

    jc

    I didn't really get into it the first couple of times I listened. But then, after I'd seen them do these songs live, it took on a more vital character for me. Sometimes it just happens that way.

    Not that I'm jumping the gun or anything, but who has the inside track for your year-end #1 spot at this point?
  • 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
    Jim Clark
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I didn't really get into it the first couple of times I listened. But then, after I'd seen them do these songs live, it took on a more vital character for me. Sometimes it just happens that way.

    Not that I'm jumping the gun or anything, but who has the inside track for your year-end #1 spot at this point?

    The National seems to be the one to beat for me. Although I really do enjoy the Andrew Bird disc a whole lot. Someone really cool here who shall remain nameless sent me a preview copy and I didn't much care for it at first but later I pulled it back out and fell in love with it.

    What about you?

    jc
  • 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    The National seems to be the one to beat for me. Although I really do enjoy the Andrew Bird disc a whole lot. Someone really cool here who shall remain nameless sent me a preview copy and I didn't much care for it at first but later I pulled it back out and fell in love with it.

    What about you?

    jc

    I'm a relative latecomer to Boxer, and it's still growing on me. It's got a cool vibe all the way through. But I really do want to give that singer a shot of espresso sometimes. The Bird disc is definitely a keeper, although it loses a little momentum in the middle.

    But it would take something huge and unexpected right now to knock Spoon out of the top spot for me.
  • 11-13-2007, 08:13 AM
    Jim Clark
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I'm a relative latecomer to Boxer, and it's still growing on me. It's got a cool vibe all the way through. But I really do want to give that singer a shot of espresso sometimes. The Bird disc is definitely a keeper, although it loses a little momentum in the middle.

    But it would take something huge and unexpected right now to knock Spoon out of the top spot for me.

    Spoon never clicked for me although they seem to be one of the perennial faves around here with the indie types. In fairness I will admit that I haven't even listened to the new one. I guess I'll find a preview copy of that before I commit one way or the other.

    Oh yeah, and for any casual eyes or Recording Industry enforcers, I did get a legit copy of the Andrew Bird disc even though it's not evident from my post : ) worth every penny. And I have to agree with you at least in part, track 5 which would be pretty much smack dab in the middle doesn't appeal to me at all. I've posted that before and Slosh and Davie both chimed in that they thought it was one of the stronger tracks. We might be in the minority on this one.

    Regards,
    jc
  • 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Spoon never clicked for me although they seem to be one of the perennial faves around here with the indie types.

    Latest Spoon is really good, but like the National and Interpol (and a bunch of others), mastered way too loud. Shame, because it does have some great music, but just not presented very well for those that care about the sound. The older ones, especially back in the Girls Can Tell era, sound so much better. The National is even worse. Nearly as bad as the Interpol disc, which isn't too surprising since they've been working with producer Peter Katis who did the first two Interpol records. Love most of Boxer, but still like it better back in the days when the sound wasn't all squished into such a small space. Makes it kind of disposable, which is a shame. Much rather listen to the Magnoia Electric Co discs, or PJ Harvey, or Electrelane, or even Caribou which is kind of the dark horse sleeper this year. Gonna rate high on many year end lists. Just has that growth appeal, gets better and better. Not exactly great sounding, but not nearly as compressed as some others, and just feels so good, even if the opening note arrives with a bit of a jolt :)

    Had some Blind Pig IPA over the weekend, on tap. Russian River Brewing Company. Wow, the real deal. Wish I could find a local source to buy some in the bottle. Don't quite make it down to my area yet. Need to invest in a Swish 'Brew' Baby distibutor company for my neck of the peninsula. Anybody have a favorite IPA? Also has some of that Long Hammer (Red Hook) IPA recently. Pretty good, but not close to the great ones.
  • 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
    bobsticks
    Hey Davey,

    I haven't enjoyed any much less "a good" IPA lately, but I have been known to savor an occasional Old Rasputin Stout from the North Coast Brewery. I believe those boys are from down in your neck of the woods, or at least on the left coast anyway. It was a long, hard winter before they reissued that lovely beveridge.

    To these ears Boxer isn't nearly as objectionable as many of the more recent indie, jinglejangly offerings. I picked up The Reminder by Feist the other day and was just about heartbroken that such wonderous music was compressed and tweaked and prodded almost to the point of being unlistenable. To each his own, I suppose.

    Peace and enjoy the suds.
  • 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM
    Mr MidFi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    And I have to agree with you at least in part, track 5 which would be pretty much smack dab in the middle doesn't appeal to me at all. I've posted that before and Slosh and Davie both chimed in that they thought it was one of the stronger tracks. We might be in the minority on this one.

    Regards,
    jc

    The thing is, I do like that track (Armchairs) too. It's just the sequencing kinda brings things down to lo-speed a little early in the going. But then it picks back up with one of my favorite tracks of the whole friggin' year, Dark Matter. But then, by tracks 8 & 9, you're sinking back down in reclinerville.

    Anyway, the Spoon disc really clicked with me right out of the box. It ranks among their best, IMO...which is faint praise if you don't dig them already.