• 07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
    thepogue
    Just got 4 new PT LP's....
    Picked up PT on vinyl (ePay) listended to V34, half of Sig and half of Blackfield and enjoyed Blackfield and Sig more that V34....in fact I think I'll sell V34 which is a bit slow for my taste...but I love the packaging and PT is pretty much the best I've heard in years..Looking forward to opening Sky!!

    V34 - cool but a bit slow
    Sky Moves - ?
    Sig - great so far
    Blackfield - great so far

    Peace, Pogue


    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0 tableName="Won"><TBODY><TR class=""><TD class=c_Title colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><TD class="" width="1%"> </TD><TD class=c_Seller> </TD><TD class=c_PurchasedQty align=middle></TD><TD class=c_SalePrice noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=c_TotalPrice noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=c_SaleDate></TD><TD class="" align=middle><TABLE class=NewActionBaseTable><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- if( ( document.all || document.getElementById ) && navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf( "webtv" ) == -1 ) { document.writeln( '*[img]' + btnDrp + ' [/img]' ); } // --> </SCRIPT> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=c_BuyerPaidStatus align=middle width="1%"></TD><TD class=c_FeedbackReceivedBySeller align=middle width="1%"></TD><TD class=c_FeedbackReceivedByBuyer align=middle width="1%"></TD></TR><TR class=BDtC4n><TD class="" width="1%"> </TD><TD class=c_Title colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><TD class="" width="1%"> </TD><TD class=c_Seller> </TD><TD class=c_PurchasedQty align=middle></TD><TD class=c_SalePrice noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=c_TotalPrice noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=c_SaleDate></TD><TD class="" align=middle></TD><TD class=c_BuyerPaidStatus align=middle width="1%"></TD><TD class=c_FeedbackReceivedBySeller align=middle width="1%"></TD><TD class=c_FeedbackReceivedByBuyer align=middle width="1%"></TD></TR><TR class=BDtC4n><TD class="" width="1%"> </TD><TD class=c_Title colSpan=6></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • 07-06-2005, 07:17 PM
    DaHaq
    Hmm everyone talks about the porcupine tree on this site...
    If one were to look into them what's a good album to start with?
    Btw congrats on the purchases Pogue
  • 07-06-2005, 10:30 PM
    daigoro
    Depends what you are looking for. PT has evolved over the years. In the beginning they were more psychadelic (Voyage 34: The Complete Trip).

    Then they developed a little more cohesive sound with Up the Downstairs, Sky Moves Sideways which is more reminiscent of Pink Floyd. Coma Divine is a fantastic live album which covers pretty well their best music up to this point.

    With Stupid Dream and Signify they started getting a bit more energetic and experimental with less space rock. But for me they really hit their stride with Lightbulb Sun, In Abstensia, and Recordings. Formerly, their weakest component was their lyric writing and their lead vocals. For me, these get dramatically better with their more recent albums. Musically they get much more progressive too. Lightbulb Sun even incorporates banjos. You really feel that the band has started to mature and solidify their own distinct sound--not just Pink Floyd lite.

    Deadwing marks yet another transition. This is probably their most accessible album and strays into flat out heavy metal. Still refined by today's standards, but metal nonetheless. I have to admit, being a former metal head, I find this CD playing a rediculous amount in my car lately. I just saw the band live recently and they rocked!

    I guess if you were to get 3 albums to start, I'd get Coma Divine, Lightbulb Sun, and Deadwing if you want a nice smattering. Hope this helps. Happy listening!
  • 07-06-2005, 11:08 PM
    DaHaq
    Sounds like every album is unique, I like that in a band. I had no idea they had so many albums and have been around so long since I just started hearing about them. I have an mp3 of Stars Die and Sky Moves Sideways, the latter really reminds me of floyd.
  • 07-07-2005, 07:42 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Pogue! How the hell you been? Long time, no see.

    Some of the most enjoyable moments I've ever had on the intarweb were hangin' w/ you and the gang at our old virtual watering hole on the General Board. Especially on those occasions when you had to throw someone through the virtual window...for their own good, of course.

    As for PT, I've been playing Deadwing a lot lately. It's pretty good. Just my 2 cents
  • 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM
    C-Z
    Deadwing is very good, and growing on me as I play it (and I do play it a lot). All PTs tend grow on me. For example, I was slightly disappointed in Lightbulb Sun at first, but it is excellent now.

    But ... IMO, In absentia is their best hands down, from start to finish. Lots of variety, rocks, melodic, great harmonies, .... can't tell you how many people of different ages, and with very different musical tastes I have successfully turned on to IA. The multi-channel version is really fun.

    Agree about Coma Divine - a great way to get a sampling of earlier stuff, and a very good recording also, unlike many live albums.

    My .02

    CZ

    p.s. Blackfield is growing on me, especially a few tunes, but overall it is not in the same league as the PT stuff for me. I say this to merely to alert you that we may have a bit of taste difference, since you seem to really like Blackfield.
  • 07-08-2005, 07:28 AM
    daigoro
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by C-Z
    Deadwing is very good, and growing on me as I play it (and I do play it a lot). All PTs tend grow on me. For example, I was slightly disappointed in Lightbulb Sun at first, but it is excellent now.

    Funny, I was the same way about that album. Very non-plussed by it at first. But PT albums (like most good albums) tend to grow on you over time. So be patient, especially after all the hype on this page.
  • 07-08-2005, 09:48 AM
    Troy
    I picked this up off another message board. You hardcase PT fans'll probably enjoy some of these:

    http://www.porcupinetree.com/multimedia.music.cfm

    It's filmed interviews with Wilson on a variety of subjects. I especially liked the first question.
  • 07-08-2005, 09:54 AM
    thepogue
    Hey MidFi...nice ta see you too!!
    It was a bit loony back in '00 wasn't it!...man...me keyboard still is a bit stciky w/Sam Adams lol...hope alls well on your end...alls fine here...really enjoying PT great stuff..Talk to you soon! Pogue

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Pogue! How the hell you been? Long time, no see.

    Some of the most enjoyable moments I've ever had on the intarweb were hangin' w/ you and the gang at our old virtual watering hole on the General Board. Especially on those occasions when you had to throw someone through the virtual window...for their own good, of course.

    As for PT, I've been playing Deadwing a lot lately. It's pretty good. Just my 2 cents

  • 07-08-2005, 09:58 PM
    C-Z
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Troy
    I picked this up off another message board. You hardcase PT fans'll probably enjoy some of these:

    http://www.porcupinetree.com/multimedia.music.cfm

    It's filmed interviews with Wilson on a variety of subjects. I especially liked the first question.

    Thanks for the link, Troy. More interesting than just reading the transcript.
  • 07-09-2005, 06:21 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I'd also have to say In Absentia stands out above everything else. It's probably one of the most perfectly crafted albums I've ever heard.
  • 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM
    3-LockBox
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thepogue
    It was a bit loony back in '00 wasn't it!...man...me keyboard still is a bit stciky w/Sam Adams lol...hope alls well on your end...alls fine here...really enjoying PT great stuff..Talk to you soon! Pogue

    Ahhh...the ol' Pogue & Bone...those were good times...

    The P&B was prolly a better fit here than over on the general board...hhmmm...

    jes think aloud

    Nice to hear (read) from you again...BTW, where's Bone?

    3LB (formerly known as TA back then...the nice one anyway)
  • 07-13-2005, 02:04 PM
    thepogue
    Hey TA...long time no drinkie...lol
    Nice ta see ya matie!!...ole Brudda Bone is still alive in the DC area...but kinda in the witness protection program...(ah....laddy should have never kill dat man....even if he did ask fer it!) ;)

    hope your world is ROUND!!

    Pogue


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Ahhh...the ol' Pogue & Bone...those were good times...

    The P&B was prolly a better fit here than over on the general board...hhmmm...

    jes think aloud

    Nice to hear (read) from you again...BTW, where's Bone?

    3LB (formerly known as TA back then...the nice one anyway)