The room is full of ozone....

Even worse and older, listening to Pearls Before Swine's Use Of Ashes from the box set called Jewels Were The Stars- there are so many influences that came from this that I can't count- on top of that, it is remarkably fresh and new sounding music. What a joy to have...............
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

This Mortal Coil

The only way I'm familiar with this group is that This Mortal Coil did a cover of the song "The Jeweller" .. nice tune, it would be interesting to hear how the original sounds.. I read a little bit about them and it seems like they were a very influential group to many alternative musicians.

-jar-
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    The only way I'm familiar with this group is that This Mortal Coil did a cover of the song "The Jeweller" .. nice tune, it would be interesting to hear how the original sounds.. I read a little bit about them and it seems like they were a very influential group to many alternative musicians.

-jar-
    PM me and I can hook you up...........

Old Pearls

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Even worse and older, listening to Pearls Before Swine's Use Of Ashes from the box set called Jewels Were The Stars- there are so many influences that came from this that I can't count- on top of that, it is remarkably fresh and new sounding music. What a joy to have...............

I've seen the box advertised... just how many discs are in it? Did they include anything in the way of alternative, live, unissued stuff, or is it just remastered original stuff. How about liner notes? Are they by Rapp, or in another form? Just curious.

I used to listen to cuts of his (Tom Rapp) off those great WB Promo LPs (the original "comps"). They had more excellent artists than any label in it's day (Kinks, Hendrix, J Tull, Little Feat, The Mothers, Arlo Guthrie, Beach Boys, Pentangle, Joni Mitchell, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Todd R, Fleetwood Mac, Family, Small Faces, Neil Young, Everly Bros, Tim Buckley, Van Morrison, and many lesser knowns too. I still have close to 20 of em, mostly all 2-LP sets too. I never got any PBS albums, mostly because I was too poor in them days to afford much beyond my hard-rock tastes (which was considerable enough). But I always thought his stuff was good, interesting, certainly unique, and came close to getting an album more than once. I've since found British & Euro artists that were making similar music in those (weirder) circles too.
    You don't know... jack

Quote Originally Posted by jack70
    I've seen the box advertised... just how many discs are in it? Did they include anything in the way of alternative, live, unissued stuff, or is it just remastered original stuff. How about liner notes? Are they by Rapp, or in another form? Just curious.

----cutcut----

I've since found British & Euro artists that were making similar music in those (weirder) circles too.
    The box set is comprise of the 4 albums from "The Reprise Years", 69 or 70 to 72- no live or alternate cuts- just straight-up remasters of the originals. A 48 page booklet, with commentary by Rapp and other odd folks, period pictures, handbills, etc- very classy production. The remastering is remarkably fine, as well. After the holidays, when things settle down to the point that I can get some burning done (I owe you a year-end comp), I'll throw something else or two into the mailer with the comp.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    PM me and I can hook you up...........

hey.. thanks for the Hook-up!

I'll be enjoying this disc very music in the coming weeks..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    hey.. thanks for the Hook-up!

I'll be enjoying this disc very music in the coming weeks..

-jar
    No prob- that's the 30 year retrospective from, uh, '98 (I think). Almost all is from the 4 box-set albums' era. The first 2 albums on ESP are not really represented, other than a recent re-do or two.

Thread Information