Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best of '03 time

Well, the roads here are cleared now but nobody wants to do anything so I'm kinda stuck here at home tonight so maybe all of you lurkers out there can submit your best of list '03 and see if it meets my approval

My list is all off the cuff so may change at any time

10. Fruit Bats - Mouthfuls This is a Daveydot discovery and I sure am glad I got exposed to it. Mostly 70s-sounding acoustic pop which proved to be quite infectious. Kinda like a Jersey version of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

9. Earlimart - Everyone Down Here This one took a while to grow on me. Sort of a slowed down, more somber Grandaddy

8. The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow Acoustipop done right

7. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Pig Lib Malko goes 70s guitar-god here. Not as hook-laden as his s/t but great as always and retains much of that Pavement sound

6. The Decemberists - Her Majesty - The Decemberists Much more challenging than Castaways & Cutouts but just as rewarding

5. Radiohead - Hail To The Thief Harder edged than their last few with a welcome return to more guitar-based songs. It may not break new ground but isn't quite like anything else they've done either

4. Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power Welsh indie-esque pop with a nod to Pink Floyd. Great stuff!

3. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism A bit darker than some of their previous albums but definitely of the same ilk. They can do no wrong to my ears

2. Grandaddy - Sumday Just an amazing album. Much more power-pop than their more proggy Sophtware Slump, but equally as stellar. This album is full of catchy guitar riffs with interesting synth lines and about the best use of campy lyrics I can think of. Great sonics as well

1. Calexico - Feast Of Wire This one kinda caught me by surprise. Although I did like it very much from day one, I didn't think I would put it in my top position even months after I got. But looking back, I listened to this more than any other album this year so I gotta be honest. This album sounds like the desert west with a heavy blend of traditional western/mexicana guitar, all the while incorporating markedly untraditional synth and seemingly random odd noises and even some jazz here and there and it keeps things interesting and memorable

also-rans:
    The Wrens
    Broken Social Scene (although technically it's a 2002 release)
    Cursive
    Enon
    Wheat
    Andrew Bird
    The White Stripes
    A Perfect Circle
    Jane's Addiction
    Califone
    Tracker
    Songs: Ohia

All in all a very good year and of course there's a ton of stuff out there that I haven't heard yet and no doubt a lot I'm not even aware of yet. So what do you guys like?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I don't know my top 10 yet, but my number one is pretty clear cut, and an absolutely astounding disc would have to be released (or belatedly heard) in order to oust it from its top spot:

Matt Elliott, The Mess We Made

This is not for everyone, but it certainly was for me. Recommended for those who like tremendous moodiness to their electronica-backed music with a certain organic feel.

Read my review here. Also, check it out at Amazon, and check out the list of "Customers who bought this title also bought..." -- I have every one of those, and like them all. Yes, even the Esmerine. I think.

The Calexico is probably up there in my top 10 of 2003, too. Painter's Palette by Ephel Duath is also up there. EDIT: Gotta add Laika -- that's definitely in my top 10.

Hey, Beth Gibbons' album only just made it onto my 2002 list!
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 12-07-2003 at 10:47 AM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Well, the roads here are cleared now but nobody wants to do anything so I'm kinda stuck here at home tonight so maybe all of you lurkers out there can submit your best of list '03 and see if it meets my approval

-snip-snip-

All in all a very good year and of course there's a ton of stuff out there that I haven't heard yet and no doubt a lot I'm not even aware of yet. So what do you guys like?
    Arright, I'll air mine out, with very little commentary:

10) Sun Kil Moon, Ghosts of the Great Highway- pretty sure this one would go higher if it had come out a few months ago.

9) British Sea Power- same comment as 10)

8) Band of Blacky Ranchette, Still Looking Good To Me- Howe Gelb and friends make an imminently likeable record.

7) Holopaw, S/T- the 1st 2003 disk I bought this year, as I recall.

6) Joan Armatrading, Lovers Speak- brilliant. She does everything on this record but play drums and sweep out the studio.

5) Lucinda, World Without Tears- so shoot me, I really like this disk.

4) Richard Thompson, Old Kit Bag- sometimes the old guys still do it right.

3) Jay Farrar, Terroir Blues- So good it's scary.

2) Decemberists, Castaways & Cutouts- excellento

1) Songs: Ohia, Magnolia Electric Co.- Period. Winner by a long shot.

----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

That would be jumping the gun for me. How about a list of what I'd still like to get in 2003:

Calexico-Feast of Wire
    The Stills-Logic Will Break Your Heart
    Rapture-Echoes
    Joe Strummer-Streetcore
    and KMFDM's WWIII which I think may be just the thing to fill my major rock out craving.

Guess I need to place an order soon.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 12-06-2003 at 07:02 PM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Joan A.- really?

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze

6) Joan Armatrading, Lovers Speak- brilliant. She does everything on this record but play drums and sweep out the studio.
    Glad to hear she's still releasing good stuff. I was into her a long while ago, but kinda went somewhere else.

I might have to pick this up- are you a huge fan, or is this a disc you bought on the spur o' the moment and liked?

fp

Hey, and congrats to Jimsee for becoming 'regular.'
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 12-06-2003 at 07:07 PM.

snip,snip - circumsized post

7) Holopaw, S/T- the 1st 2003 disk I bought this year, as I recall.

I've been meaning to pick this one up all year. Guess I haven't yet because what I've heard, while excellent, sounds so much like Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth. Wait a sec...that's a good thing!

Thanks to you I also need to grab me one of them Jay Farrar ceedees as well

BTW, Castaways was rereleased by Kill Rock Stars this year. Yeah, I'm anal and my copy is that very KRS issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Glad to hear she's still releasing good stuff. I was into her a long while ago, but kinda went somewhere else.

I might have to pick this up- are you a huge fan, or is this a disc you bought on the spur o' the moment and liked?

fp

Hey, and congrats to Jimsee for becoming 'regular.'
    This is the first new release from her since, I think, '95 or so. I've got most of her catalog, except greatest hits thangs- this one is as good as anything she's ever done.

I've been meaning to pick this one up all year. Guess I haven't yet because what I've heard, while excellent, sounds so much like Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth. Wait a sec...that's a good thing!

Thanks to you I also need to grab me one of them Jay Farrar ceedees as well

BTW, Castaways was rereleased by Kill Rock Stars this year. Yeah, I'm anal and my copy is that very KRS issue.
    Yeh, I know- I know about Castaways being a re-release. I'm using the "loose constructionist" approach here- mine sez 2003, and so it made my list ............
    The new one could just as easily be substituted for Castaways, for that matter.

I get a little irritated these days at 31 min. cd's, but the Holopaw is 31 damn good minutes.

Forum Regular
    Time already? Yeah, I guess so. I'm not ready though. Probably be ten selected from the list of 20 below. Sometime next week. With short (or maybe even long for some) descriptions. Maybe. I like your list but mine will be different. Bold move placing Calexico on top. But I like it

Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams
    The Blithe Sons - We Walk the Young Earth
    Head of Femur - Ringodom or Proctor
    Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
    British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
    Califone - Quicksand/Cradlesnakes
    Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co
    Holopaw - Holopaw
    Cat Power - You Are Free
    Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
    Calla - Televise
    The Twilight Singers - Blackberry Belle
    Over The Rhine - Ohio
    Laika - Wherever I Am I Am What Is Missing
    Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
    The Wrens - The Meadowlands
    The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
    Manitoba - Up In Flames
    My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
    Calexico - Feast of Wire
    Last edited by Davey.; 12-06-2003 at 10:17 PM.

Forum Regular
    8) Band of Blacky Ranchette, Still Looking Good To Me- Howe Gelb and friends make an imminently likeable record.
    I really like that song on your year-ender with Howe, Richard Buckner and especially Neko Case. Very cool. I never even heard he had put out this album until your comp. You must have connections all over Vegas. Howe Gelb has been releasing things overseas and with different names....kind of like that crazy Will Oldham has done over the years. I guess Giant Sand is probably over for good with the success Calexico is enjoying now. It was really nice to hear them all together on the last Neko Case album, though. They have quite a synergy at times. Of course, John and Joey in Calexico have a pretty fine synergy on their own as well. Must be tough on Howe to see his band mates and good friends go on to such success without him, while his career stays down at a much more obscure level.

So anyway, I was meaning to ask you how the rest of that Howe Gelb album was but I guess you answered already by placing it on your top ten. How'd ya find out about it? Unklebob?

Quote Originally Posted by Davey.
    I really like that song on your year-ender with Howe, Richard Buckner and especially Neko Case. Very cool. I never even heard he had put out this album until your comp. You must have connections all over Vegas. Howe Gelb has been releasing things overseas and with different names....kind of like that crazy Will Oldham has done over the years. I guess Giant Sand is probably over for good with the success Calexico is enjoying now. It was really nice to hear them all together on the last Neko Case album, though. They have quite a synergy at times. Of course, John and Joey in Calexico have a pretty fine synergy on their own as well. Must be tough on Howe to see his band mates and good friends go on to such success without him, while his career stays down at a much more obscure level.

So anyway, I was meaning to ask you how the rest of that Howe Gelb album was but I guess you answered already by placing it on your top ten. How'd ya find out about it? Unklebob?
    Nope, I turned HIM on to it..... I think I saw a blurb about it on insound.com that got my attention initially. It's a fine piece of work, I think, as long as the music matters more to you than the production values. The notes for the songs indicate where each was recorded, such as, "Hand-held field recording", "Recorded near birds", Recorded on the fly", or "Recorded outside the Nashville airport." Some are normal studio-type recordings and sound great, though, a couple of live performance cuts as well. The opening cut, "Train Singer's Song", gets stuck in my head constantly. It's a definite KEEPER.

Here's what I said about it on the old forums when I bought it.

"Mostly The Band of Blacky Ranchette's new one-"
    Posted by: tentoze Oct-28-03, 10:16 AM

"Still Looking Good To Me"-Howe Gelb's decidedly lo-fi side project that features appearances by R. Buckner, Neko Case, Chan Marshall, Lambchop's Kurt Wagner, and Calexico. A wonderful seat-of-the-pants affair: standout cut- a duet by Neko and Buckner. If you even think you like Gelb, go buy it now.

I'm not ready for this either.

If I had to name my favorites, I'm not sure I could pick 10. How about a top 5?

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People (could be my #1)

Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Company

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Ok, that's only three, but they're easily my three favorites from this year. There are plenty more that I like, many of which you guys have already mentioned (Cala, Calexico, My Morning Jacket, the Twilight Singers), but I can't say I like any of them as much as these three. Of course, my memory ain't what it used to be, so maybe I need to dig through my pile of "new releases" and see if I've missed anyone.

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Damn you're impatient

I'll do my list sometime in January if I have time, because there are some albums I still haven't listened to much (not to mention it's not the end of the year yet).

Here are my likely top three though:

(3) Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigan . . .

(2) Clearlake - Cedars

(1) The Wrens - The Meadowlands

Others in contention for the top ten include Killing Joke, Joe Strummer, Shins, British Sea Power, Ten Grand, Frog Eyes, June Carter Cash, Blood Brothers, Calexico, and a few others.

BTW, I'm not counting You Forgot It In People and the Delgado's Hate as 2003 releases (or they would both be in my top 10).
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    BTW, I'm not counting You Forgot It In People and the Delgado's Hate as 2003 releases (or they would both be in my top 10).
    Why not? BSS was released in 2003, at least in the US. From my understanding, very few people got the opportunity to hear it in 2002. But suit yourself. I'm calling it a 2003 even though I bought it in Canada, because it wasn't really available to "normal" people in the US or Canada until about March. And I don't remember seeing it on any 2002 lists. But conversely, I wouldn't put Neon Golden or the Beth Gibbons/Rustin Man albums on my list since I bought them in years past and already used them on year end lists. But I wouldn't have a problem if someone in the US had either on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey.
    Why not?
    Anal retentiveness, my friend. Anal retentiveness.

I know BSS came out in the U.S. in 2003, but I was actually trying to find it in 2002.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    ....but I was actually trying to find it in 2002.
    But that's my point, you probably couldn't find it unless you worked for the Arts & Crafts label cause they barely pressed enough last year to supply their industry connections. Not that it really matters to anyone, but it seems like many of us are labeling it a 2003 release. Anal retentiveness is not a badge of honor to be displayed proudly, my friend

EDIT: Hey, btw I've had that Clearlake album on my wishlist most of the year I think but never found it anywhere so kind of forgot about it. I didn't realize the reason for not seeing it anywhere was that it hadn't been released here until it recently showed up on metacritic as a new release. I'm gonna have to wait now, but it'll probably be one of the first I buy next year now that I know it also has the cherished SSA (Stone Seal of Approval). That and the Sun Kil Moon.
    Last edited by Davey.; 12-07-2003 at 10:34 AM.

Believe it or not, I never heard all of Sharpen Your Teeth till I bought it today- damn and hellacious damn, what a fine record this is!!!!!!!!!!! ( and for 7 bucks at Big B's, I gotta love it)

Best of a year is tough. There’s still a bunch of stuff from this year I wanna hear that I haven’t. I’m sure there’s stuff I haven’t heard that’s better than at least something I’m gonna list. I know I’m still finding things I missed from 2002 and before all the time. I also hate the whole “best” thing. I’m just calling these favorites, which basically means stuff I play a lot and wanna hear a bunch. Anyway, here’s a group of ten that I’ve really enjoyed over the last year, from what I’ve heard and remember off hand….

White Stripes – Elephant
    Electric Six – Fire
    OutKast – Speakerboxxx/Love Below
    Erykah Badu – Worldwide Underground
    Postal Service – Give Up
    Massive Attack – 100th Window
    Songs: Ohia – Electric Magnolia Company
    Four Tet – Rounds
    Matmos – The Civil War
    Muggs – Dust

A bunch of honorable mentions, some of which would get in the list if you asked me on another day…

Tosca – Dehli9, Grandaddy – Sumday, Radiohead – Hail to the Thief, TSOL – Divided We Stand, DJ Krush – The Message at the Depth, Prefuse 73 – One Word Extinguisher, D4 – 6Twenty

Decent year I’d say. I could still list a few more that I’ve enjoyed quite a bit this year. Even thought about putting Manitoba on the honorable mention list since it has really grown on me over time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see British Sea Power making this list after a couple more listens. It just hasn’t really grabbed me too hard yet, although I have been enjoying it. And, there’s still tons of stuff I hope to hear sometime. Hopefully, after Christmas, I’ll be able to pick up a few things that will make this list obsolete.

I'll play. But i'm gonna list the 10 best albums i bought in 2003 since i'm not certain i bought 10 2003 releases this year.

Derek Trucks - Joyful Noise
    Trey Anastasio - s/t
    Allison Krauss and Union Station - Live
    Bomb Squad - Sophistafunk
    emmet swimming - fifty cent earplugs
    Justin King - Le Bleu
    moe. - wormwood
    Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Live at the Wetlands
    Either/Orchestra - Neo-modernism

and because we're in the holiday season, i'll throw this one out as number ten (my new favorite christmas album). "A Very Special Acoustic Christmas". A compilation of some christmas favorites done with a country/bluegrass swing to them. Get a little Reba McIntyre, Dan Tyminski (of AKUS), Willie Nelson, Allison Krauss, Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, Patty Loveless, Sam Bush and Norah Jones (and others). Some beautiful songs on there.

T-

Forum Regular
    I tend to buy a lot of albums at the end of the year, or immediately after the end of the year, inspired by others' (including magazines') "Best of 2003" recommendations, so this will definitely change once I've heard some more stuff, but here's a preliminary list of my five favorites:

1. Radiohead -- Hail to the Thief
    2. Outkast -- Speakerboxx/The Love Below
    3. The Strokes -- Room on Fire
    4. Yo La Tengo -- Summer Sun
    5. Super Furry Animals -- Phantom Power

I wanted to only list 5 because if I listed 10 I wouldn't be discriminating enough, because I didn't buy that many new albums this year so far. But there are definitely a few more that I like, that may make it on a top 10 list when all is said and done.

Like Darius, I don't have 10 yet. Give me another year to hear more.

Grandaddy- Sumday
    Starlight Mints- built on Squares
    King Crimson- The Power to Believe
    Satellite- A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
    Calexico- Feast of Wire

Forum Regular
    I tell ya what ya'll sure do listen to some obscure and diverse stuff.

I have NONE of any of the titles listed in anyones post.

But I'm old and set im my ways and only listen to prog, rock, new wave, reggae, pop, and my 2 classical cd's.

But for me the only new stuff this year that is really any good are the concert dvd's that have been released, like the Flower Kings, the new Peter Gabriel one, and Arena's concert dvd.

"New" titles by new or old bands this year. I can't think of a single 2003 recording that could be put into a "best of" category.

I guess it's because mainly I have bought new prog, but most of it is stuff that wasn't recorded this year.

Dave

Forum Regular

Nice list

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    White Stripes – Elephant
    Electric Six – Fire
    OutKast – Speakerboxxx/Love Below
    Erykah Badu – Worldwide Underground
    Postal Service – Give Up
    Massive Attack – 100th Window
    Songs: Ohia – Electric Magnolia Company
    Four Tet – Rounds
    Matmos – The Civil War
    Muggs – Dust

A bunch of honorable mentions, some of which would get in the list if you asked me on another day…

Tosca – Dehli9, Grandaddy – Sumday, Radiohead – Hail to the Thief, TSOL – Divided We Stand, DJ Krush – The Message at the Depth, Prefuse 73 – One Word Extinguisher, D4 – 6Twenty

Nice list there Nobody, I've been meaning to pick up that Postal Service album, how do you rate it? Good to see a Tosca fan too, I've just picked up the dub version of Suzuki which despite reviews I think is pretty good

ps I need your addy for my year end comp, can you send me an e-mail

Cheers
    Mike

Glad you like the list. I like the Postal Service very much, although I've only had it a short time. You can hear the influence of the guy from DNTEL with the sound of the music. It's got those thick, fuzzy tones that you expect from them. Yet, it's much poppier, upbeat stuff. Jim Clark hooked me up with it, so he may have more to say about it too.

I still haven't heard the Suzuki in Dub. Suzuki is great and I like dub, so it's something I wanna check out eventually. I'm a fan of the dub versions of LPs. I like both the dub version of the Gorillaz LP and Mad Professor vs. Massive Attack quite a bit. My wish list just keeps growing and growing.

I tried to send you a personal message through this board with my address. I don't have your email. If you don't get it, email me at nobodyATwitchesbrewDOTzznDOTcom with your email address and I'll reply. Thanks.

Treading along similar lines to most of you. These are my favourites this year but the order changes on a daily basis.

Songs:Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. Da Winnah!
    Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power. This really suprised me. Never been a huge fan but this is a great album. Power Pop Guy, dave G... can't see you guys not liking this.
    Manitoba - Up In Flames
    Calexico - Feast Of Wire
    Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
    Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
    The Wrens - Meadowlands
    Four Tet - Rounds

Stuff coming that I have hopes for :-

Basement Jax - Kish Kash
    Matmos - Civil War

Stuff I wish I had :-

Matt Elliott (thanks Dusty), M83, Grandaddy, The Shins.

Stuff I haven't been with long enough to know if they're any good :-

Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth
    Unkle - Never, Never Land
    Martina Topley Bird - Quixotic
    Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

Regards, Chris.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information