Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Jazz post. Everybody just ignore and move on

So there's a new Wayne Shorter album streaming on NPR which is pretty decent. A jazz legend who brings his A-game. You all should listen (and listen past the first 10 minutes. It's a pretty diverse album. If you don't like the beginning hold on it will change).

Then today I'm listening to a new one from Chris Potter - The Sirens

I had picked up an Potter's Underground (2006) a while back and certainly enjoy it. However, it never completely emotionally gels for me. I'm not a deep thinker on Jazz, nor all that knowledgeable. I listen to a bunch though, enough to form gut reactions. I thought Underground sounded like a horn player with great talent and potential who didn't quite get it right, but made a heck of a strong effort.

On The Sirens, I would say, he get's it right. Its interesting to listen to the shorter album and The Sirens back to back. They both have some of the same qualities. Don't think I could describe it, phrasing...muscular control...cerebralness... Potter certainly upped his game compositionally on this one. Every track is engaging and absorbing. Playing is fluid assured and backed by a strong, integrated group.

Anyway, The Sirens is a very good album and worth a listen. You can read a good article/review here. But, I don't think the article really conveys how nice this album is to listen to. Glad my first impression from Underground paid off.

If you like jazz and a good horn player put it on your watch list.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 01-31-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    None of the links take you to this stream. The other link takes you to an older WS album.

Got a working link?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    None of the links take you to this stream. The other link takes you to an older WS album.

Got a working link?
    Should be fixed. Here's the streaming link for shorter
    First Listen: Wayne Shorter, 'Without A Net' : NPR
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    Thanks, I failed to realize that the Sirens was someone else. Gonna listen now while I inhale my lunch.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Kind of harks back to an early '60s vibe for me, which is good. Seeing a guy on the cover of a jazz CD with a sax in his hand doesn't inspire much confidence with me. There is a complexity of composition involving all instruments here. Moody, smokey atmosphere and cinematic overtones. Ultimately though, pretty straight forward jazz - a lot of sax for one sitting. I listen to quite a bit of jazz these days (mostly fusion) but still find it hard to listen to an entire album of anyone at once.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Glad I got to see him with Weather Report...

...way back in 1979. What a shame that Joe Zawinul and Jaco Pastorius are both gone. Glad Wayne and Peter Erskine are still in the game.

Jazz doesn't get much respect around here, but I still listen to it on occasion.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I wouldn't say not much respect, but Jazz itself has evolved into so many areas that its hard to have detailed conversation about it. On another forum A guy posted a thread "I think I like Jazz", So many ppl replied on which artist/group he should go out and listen to. People were posting artist I have never heard of myself, not that I claim to be a know all about Jazz, but it just goes to show how vast of a genre it is.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    It's a jazz night here. Hank Mobley - No Room for Squares; Mingus - Tijuana Moods; and, Coltrane - Blue Train.

Thread Information