Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    CTI used to sell limited edition poster reprints of their album covers. Unfortunately I only bought one of them. It's the cover from George Benson's Body Talk. BTW if you only know Benson by his recordings while singing, you should give Body Talk a listen. It was recorded befor the record companies asked him to sing. He can really PLAY!!!!
    Yup, one of those situations where Benson's tremendous popularity as a pop/soul singer obscures how great a guitarist he is. I remember taking a jazz development class in college, and the prof surprised a lot of people in that class when he mentioned Benson alongside Django Reinhart and Wes Montgomery among the most important jazz guitarists. He said that there's a lot more to George Benson than just what gets played on mainstream radio. I guess if Benson had focused just on straight jazz, it would elevate his stature as a "serious" musician. But, he's adept with so many styles, and a damn good vocalist to boot, it's hard to stick with just one area.

Kind of similar to how the Pat Metheny Group standards that get saturation play on "smooth jazz" stations obscure how diverse and adventurous his music actually is when you look at the entire body of work.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    HI Joe. I hope everything is great on your side.

This is another thing that's been killing me. Creed Tayler with Rudy? I thought this was gonna be the biggest thing for me about 3 years ago. I have yet to come across any titles that I'm crazy about. Seems like all the artist I dont really care about ended up that label too. The artists that come to mind is Wes, Benson, Herbie Mann( i think), Turrentine, Bob James, and Freddie Hubbard. They are all great musicians, but I can't get into them. Maybe it's just the era they were recorded. As you've mentioned, CTI covers are pretty famous also. I never really found them fascinating either. I do enjoy Turrentine on the BlueNote. I have about 6 I think. Not that he's gets my juice going or anything, but I love performers who usually played with him. Benson never interested me either. Funny enough, I did pickup a copy at a library today for yet another chance.

You'll be happy shopping in my area. I see CTI lables everywhere.
    p.s. I own 2 brown tshirts with a big yellow CTI Records lable. I wear it to this hiphop show everytime I got see this group called the People Under the Stairs
    Does this remind of you anything?

PEACE
    Where did you get the shirts? They would go good with my 300B and Bottlehead t-shirts.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I bought it on EBay WHILE back. Here is one. http://cgi.ebay.com/CTI-RECORDS-T-SH...QQcmdZViewItem
    But the one I have is brown with yellow the way it should be. But this gray and black looks cool too. I wish I could find mine in NOS.

-JRA

Speaking of. I WISH I could find BlueNote one. I waited and waited, and when I did decide to purchase, they had changed the logo. I thought my life was over. You know the one that looks like the BlueNote NYC White lable?
    JRA

Sorry to get off the track.

This is a good thread, except for the last 3 including this one.

Where is Joe? I miss that Ol' Dirty

JRA

Can't say I'm aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    As the title suggests, I'm looking to purchase this CD (or SACD if there's one available). But gosh darn it there's a lot of versions out there.
    Any suggestions?
    Or which version is best since I have only one. That's the SACD version, Blue Train 41757, (bar 72435 417572 5). This is hybrid but not multi-channel. Sounds great to me.

(Sorry, pic is the standard CD version)

I also purchased that album. Great stuff, but not jaw dropping by any means.

Actually starting to enjoy coltrane more. Good thing I got so many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information