Jango, Jango, Jango, Jango

I just discovered this very cool website/tool? called Jango.

For those of you who know it - apologies for the old news, but!!!!

for those of you who don't know it - you must check it out.

I have discovered several new artists-to-me in the last 24 hours, simply by playing around and creating my "own" radio stations, as well as listening to others' radio stations.

There is a very intuitive music generator that suggests other music based on what you input into your music selector. I do know that there are other sites out there who do similar things, but what I like is the simplicity of this one and the sound quality coming from my computer's speakers (oximoron, I know)

I feel like a kid who has just received a new toy.

Check it out and let me know what you think www.jango.com

Cheers,
    Bill

P.S., Yes. Some of the music is popular - and some is not.

My best new discovery - Chris Knight

Thanks Bill, but this sounds like a copy-cat of the very...

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    I just discovered this very cool website/tool? called Jango.

For those of you who know it - apologies for the old news, but!!!!

for those of you who don't know it - you must check it out.

I have discovered several new artists-to-me in the last 24 hours, simply by playing around and creating my "own" radio stations, as well as listening to others' radio stations.

There is a very intuitive music generator that suggests other music based on what you input into your music selector. I do know that there are other sites out there who do similar things, but what I like is the simplicity of this one and the sound quality coming from my computer's speakers (oxymoron, I know)

I feel like a kid who has just received a new toy.

Check it out and let me know what you think www.jango.com

Cheers,
    Bill

P.S., Yes. Some of the music is popular - and some is not.

My best new discovery - Chris Knight
    ...popular Pandora. Ever heard of it?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...popular Pandora. Ever heard of it?
    Nope. But then again I've been on an island for some time now.

Is it any good??

It's very good Bill, but I did a little research and found this...

Nope. But then again I've been on an island for some time now.

Is it any good??
    ...difference between the two;

As best we can tell, the difference is Jango relies on fans to decide what music they and their friends like while Pandora relies on experts to decide what music fans will like. The more official descriptions, courtesy of what we call the Wikipedia of Technology, CrunchBase goes like this:

“Jango is a fresh and interesting spin on streaming radio. It brings a social networking dynamic that can be found elsewhere, but it sets itself apart from the rest of the pack because of its music-centric nature. The social network is just an added bonus. As you can imagine, you have the option to add friends and listen to their playlists or âC~tune into’ their stream whenever you like. Build a rockin station and see who is listening in. Editing your stations is neat since you can add artists to an existing station or delete suggestions from Jango and then rate songs from each artist so you hear what you want to hear and not what you don’t.”

And Pandora?
    “50 musicians carefully listen to new songs everyday noting everything about a song from its tempo to the tone of the artist’s voice. Such meticulous work makes Pandora’s recommendation engine spot on when it comes to creating a personalized radio station that sounds like your favorite artist. All stemming from Pandora’s Music Genome Project, its personalized stations are produced by grouping songs and artists that share many musical characteristics in common. This way your station is composed of similar sounding music, much of it from lesser known artists.”
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    So can we set up a Rave Wreck radio station on Jango that we can all link into? That would be cool!

I promise to keep it moderately prog free.

Only moderately? Count me out!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So can we set up a Rave Wreck radio station on Jango that we can all link into? That would be cool!

It's bad enough when a good friend tells me he's going to see Porky Tree in NYC. Oh the humanity!

Rae
    I've had to quit Pandora entirely... I used to use it at my girlfriend's old place when I was doing work as she didn't have a record player, but it so consistently moved every station into bland and overproduced territory that I'd have to shut it off in disgust. I think that part of it for me, too, is that radio should contain some element of personality-- after all, a DJ has moods, knows what's happening in the world on that particular day, knows what the weather is like outside, etc. Pandora was the music radio equivalent of a mood stabilizer.

~Rae

Thanks, Bill!

It looks very interesting, and should keep me amused for a while. It would be a lot more entertaining if I had speakers hooked up at work. <---- not work friendly.

I checked out MGMT and found out all I need to know about the band.

I can't figure out how all these free listening stations can operate with paying royalties.

Snowie

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

That sounds like a fun idea, FA.

Have you been to jango, yet? Take a look and - why not - start the station with Rave Recs in the title.

It should be tons of fun - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Thanks, Bill!

It looks very interesting, and should keep me amused for a while. It would be a lot more entertaining if I had speakers hooked up at work. <---- not work friendly.

I checked out MGMT and found out all I need to know about the band.

I can't figure out how all these free listening stations can operate with paying royalties.

Snowie
    Hi Snowie,

I'm guessing that the royalties are given a back seat for the free advertising that many of the bands/artists get when appearing on a radio station.

Currently, I've discovered three new artists who I don't think I would have found any other way.

See ForeverAutumn's idea of starting a communal Rave Recs station - Are you interested?

Bill

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    That sounds like a fun idea, FA.

Have you been to jango, yet? Take a look and - why not - start the station with Rave Recs in the title.

It should be tons of fun - Bill
    I haven't been there yet Bill. I started taking a course at Seneca College a couple of weeks ago and it's eating up all my free time (and I'm still two chapters behind!!!). Maybe I'll find time to check it out over the weekend.

Thread Information