Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's a Tuesday rotation thing

Well?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Fixated on the Beach Boys disc heavily this week. What a fantastic production.

There's about 3 songs on the Air album that kill me.

me

Some truly outstanding recent comps from newtrixster, jar, and tentoze. The comp trading volume may have fallen off but the quality of the comps themselves is better than ever.

...and as always ...
    McLusky - The Difference Between Me And You Is I'm Not On Fire
    Les Savy Fav - Inches
    Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
    Super Furry Animals - Radiator and Rings Around The World and Guerrilla and Phantom Power
    Enon - High Society and Hocus Pocus
    The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico and Three
    Doug Martsch - Now You Know
    Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
    The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
    System Of A Down - Toxicity and Steal This Album
    ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead - s/t
    !!! - s/t
    Spoon - Kill The Moonlight and A Series Of Sneaks
    Richard Davies - Telegraph
    The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms
    The Violent Femmes - s/t
    Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies
    The Dismemberment Plan - Is Terrified and Juno split
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Frodus - And We Washed Our Weapons In The Sea
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Well?
    Well alright.

New-To-Me stuff:

Jay Farrar, Live In Seattle- very good live set from a recent tour stop. Set list leans heavily on songs from Terroir Blues (not that that's a bad thing, IMO). The performance seems a bit detached, though.

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, Streetcore- late coming to this one, but well worth the wait, and the purchase. Just fantastic songs and performances.

Handsome Family, Live At Schuba's Tavern- They do an amazing job at translating their "sound" into a live milieu. May be my favorite group right now. O, BTW, the parental advisory on the cover is warranted. Rennie Sparks is kinda toilet-tongued for easily offended folks. And she comes off at least as crazy as her husband.

Modest Mouse, Good News For Bad Mofos, or whatever it's called- on 180g vinyl. Interesting stuff here, seems more fleshed out than my recollection of M&A, and whatever else I've heard from them. Brock's voice is a unique instrument that meshes well with the music.

Neutral Milk Hotel, On Avery Island- more vinyl. And it sounds pretty good, for being recorded on a no-track tape deck in a port-o-let. Great tunes.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze

Neutral Milk Hotel, On Avery Island- more vinyl. And it sounds pretty good, for being recorded on a no-track tape deck in a port-o-let. Great tunes.
    I never got around to pulling the trigger on this one but it has been on my wishlist for years now. What do you think of it? More specifically, how does it compare to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea? I've read good and bad comments but have yet to hear it for myself, other than a song or two here and there.

Forum Regular
    Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun - prog, pop, whatever, this is an excellent album.

Ted Nugent - Craveman - Teds 2002 studio album. Lets just say this: he can cuss, profane, hoot, toot, snort, insult, and generally blast nonsense better than most. The music is, well, okay, but I think he needs to let his ego chill and let someone else handle lead vocals like Meatloaf did on the classic Free for All album.

IQ - Subterenea - this is one of my favorite neo prog bands and albums. I hear the new IQ album is their best ever. If so, it must be something else.

Sparks - Lil Bethoven - well, this is a real real lousy album. So is Plagiarism.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimmie back my Bullets - songs about women, whiskey, killin, guns, etc.

Marillion - The Thieving Magpie - a 2 cd live set with Mr. Fish on lead vocals. Excellent. Man, that was a great band back then.

Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation - incredible album. Not a bad toon on it.

Kansas - Point of Know Return - remaster. Superb album from my favorite band.

Also watched some Jadis dvd, Arena dvd, Ozzy dvd (I tell you what that cat Zaak Wylde is pretty good on guitar), and some Oingo Boingo dvd. Ozzy is a trip, completely.

Dave

Last edited by Davey; 06-08-2004 at 08:47 AM. Reason: to temporarily thwart the animation kids

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Thanks for the seizure, Dave.......

hehe, let's see if we can make someone puke

I never got around to pulling the trigger on this one but it has been on my wishlist for years now. What do you think of it? More specifically, how does it compare to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea? I've read good and bad comments but have yet to hear it for myself, other than a song or two here and there.
    I really need to listen to it some more to form an educated opinion. First impressions were that, musically, it is clearly in the same vein as Aeroplane- a younger brother; maybe a bit less polished. Sonically, even more lo-fi than Aeroplane, and that's getting pretty lo-fi, IMO. Recorded on a 4-track, IIRC. Mangum's vocals get so strident occasionally that it hurts, but not much more so than on Aeroplane, to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    I really need to listen to it some more to form an educated opinion. First impressions were that, musically, it is clearly in the same vein as Aeroplane- a younger brother; maybe a bit less polished. Sonically, even more lo-fi than Aeroplane, and that's getting pretty lo-fi, IMO. Recorded on a 4-track, IIRC. Mangum's vocals get so strident occasionally that it hurts, but not much more so than on Aeroplane, to my ears.
    Thanks. OK, so I need this album. I'm just not sure whether I need it on vinyl. Aeroplane is sooo heavily compressed on CD. Hmmm, well, LP is usually a few pesos cheaper so I guess there's my answer.

NP: Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels...

Could you slow down your flashing billboard down, I can't make out a couple of those albums .
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Thanks. OK, so I need this album. I'm just not sure whether I need it on vinyl. Aeroplane is sooo heavily compressed on CD. Hmmm, well, LP is usually a few pesos cheaper so I guess there's my answer.

NP: Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels...
    I find that it works both ways, and randomly- the new Modest Mouse was $13.99 on vinyl, $10.99 on CD.

Forum Regular

so far today:

The Constantines - Shine a Light
    Unwed Sailor - The Marionette and the Music Box
    The American Analog Set - Know By Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Toady
    The Constantines - Shine a Light

The American Analog Set - Know By Heart
    How do you like these as a whole? I've only heard a few songs from each and all were pretty good. AAS in particular reminded me of Death Cab For Cutie but it's sometimes difficult to get a feel without hearing the whole album.

I don't know why I'm even asking. I've got so much music lying around that I need to pay more attention to. I guess I can't help myself

NP: Clinic - Internal Wrangler

dld
    Forum Regular
    Mike Oldfield, Soundtrack to The Killing Fields

Queen, Soundtrack to Flash Gordon

Angelo Badalamenti, Soundtrack to The Straight Story

Georgio Moroder, Soundtrack to Cat People

True Romance soundtrack, Various artists

Two Days In The Valley soundtrack, Various artists

Pell Mell, The Bumper Crop, not as good as Interstate but actually not bad either

Van Morrison, Moondance. After hearing the end music to The Sopranos season finale ( Incredible how Glad Tidings fit so well with the shows ending!!!) I had to play this

Hendrix, Essentials Vol. I & II
    Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

RPM's Pop Isn't A Four Letter Word

Tentoze's New Comp

Brian Wilson Live At Albert Hall Boot from BradH, King of the boots
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

YES!!! Finally got my turntable back up and running last night....

Well?
    First album I listened to...

Rubber Soul

other stuff this week...

Signal to Trust - Folklore
    Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
    The Wrens - Meadowlands
    Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Like Bad News
    Les Savy Fav - Inches
    The Walkmen - Bows & Arrows
    The Libertines - Up the Bracket
    Be Good Tanyas - Blue Horse
    Bailter Space - A great comp from an old RR buddy.
    Mercury Rev - All is Dream
    Dropkick Murphys - Blackout
    Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
    Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Streetcore
    Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
    Thelonius Monk w/John Coltrane
    Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light 'til Dawn
    Jesse Cook - Gravity
    Willie & Lobo - Fandango Nights

and comps from some of the usual suspects

Slosh - This Tanted Life
    Davey - Fun in the Sun
    JDaniel - CRSv9
    Stone - '03

Also threw together 2 comps, no real rhyme nor reason to them, except that I like all the songs. I'll post the tracklists, just in case anyone would like one or the other...

Transmission - Joy Division
    Dig Me Out - Sleater-Kinney
    Game Over - Antelope
    Take it or Leave it - The Strokes
    Way Too Early on a Sunday Morning - Eleventh Dream Day
    Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground - White Stripes
    Wallpaper Room - Lowsunday
    Parade - Bedhead
    Stockholme Syndrome - Yo La Tengo
    Odalisque - The Decemberists
    Holland, 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel
    Rid of Me - PJ Harvey
    Dramamine - Modest Mouse
    What's Your Take on Cassevetes - Le Tigre
    Lovetown - The Glands
    Silence Kit - Pavement
    Mistake Pageant - Idlewild
    Trash/Treasure - Wire
    Seemingly Stranded - David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights

Forever - Charlatans (UK)
    Childhood Memories - British Sea Power
    Believing Is Art - Spoon
    Half a Day - The New Year
    A Gentle Cycle Revolution - Appliance
    High and Dry - Radiohead
    Do Go On - Chisel
    The Art of Stopping - Wire
    The Dark is Rising - Mercury Rev
    Self Preservation - The Lucksmiths
    Broken Household Appliance - Grandaddy
    Time for Heroes - The Libertines
    Gravity's Bringing Us Down - Beulah
    Sidewalk - Built to Spill
    Your Church is Red - Blackheart Procession
    Answers - 764-HERO
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular

i love both.

How do you like these as a whole? I've only heard a few songs from each and all were pretty good. AAS in particular reminded me of Death Cab For Cutie but it's sometimes difficult to get a feel without hearing the whole album.

the Constantines album i picked up a few days before seeing them open for someone... and i can't even remember who now. anyway, they are FABULOUS live. the album is very good. there are a few tracks that jumped out and grabbed me right away, and now that i've had it for a while i enjoy all of it.

Know By Heart is an amazing record. they may sound like Deathcab because Ben Gibbard sang one of the songs you heard? hehe. he's on one track. they're sort of a cross between Califone and Deathcab for me. another wonderful live band. i've seen them twice. once headlining a show with The Album Leaf supporting, and once as main support for Pinback. do i need to talk about how great those nights were?

also, they discovered Explosions in the Sky. i think allmusic.com may have that story on the EITS bio.

which reminds me... does anyone know which track(s) on Know By Heart feature Munaf Rayani (of EITS)?

todd

EDIT: the Explosions in the Sky story from allmusic.com:
    This quartet of Texas kids was signed for its first release on Temporary Residence Limited after half a listen to their demo, which was submitted by the American Analog Set with a brief note saying "This totally f****** destroys."

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    First album I listened to...

Rubber Soul
    UK Parlophone no doubt. What a great album....well, except for that silly Ringo song. Sounds pretty damn fine too. I think mine is a 70s reissue but still very nice.

Hey, those are some nice looking comps. If I didn't have just about everything on them I'd probably ask for one or two. Speaking of PJ Harvey (since she is on one of them) I saw her last night on the Letterman Show and she looked to be having a fun time. They did The Letter which I guess is the single from the new album and they were freakin loud! It's just a stripped down thing with real simple chords, but still fun. Not one of her finest songs but I enjoyed it. Bill Murray was on before her being his normal silly and often hysterical self, wearing a clown shirt and shorts and these bright yellow gloves. And when PJ came out after him, she had on a short dress and pink high heels, looking pretty glamorous, and wearing those same yellow gloves that she had gotten from Bill. Pretty funny. Did the whole song just about with those big yellow gloves wrapped around the mic

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Dagnabit, Troy, what is that Ridgway thing...never mind, looked it up, I see that he has a whole slew of stuff over at cdbaby, half of them sold out (probably never to return)...

Whut have I been listening to? I don't know, a bunch of stuff, let's see what I can remember:

Thomas Dolby
    Curve
    Sibelius
    Buckethead
    Maquiladora
    Controlled Bleeding
    Funkstorung
    Lali Puna
    In The Nursery
    Joe Walsh
    The new Hilary Hahn, Helene Grimaud SACDs.
    Moby
    The The (did anyone else notice how he sounds like Ian Anderson?)
    Garden of Shadows
    Wall of Voodoo
    Ani Difranco
    Magnetic Fields
    Divine Comedy

Watched that BHP DVD -- weird! Not sure if it's worth owning, but definitely worth watching once.

Hey Dave G -- did you know there's a couple of Easter Eggs on that Oingo Boingo DVD? The video for "Insanity" is apparently a "must-see".

Daveydot -- I'd like to second the motion that you slow those down, I can't read some of them, neither...

Oh, and I actually listened to some vinyl this weekend!:

Mike Oldfield
    Shriekback
    Talking Heads
    Godley & Creme
    Colourfield
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Vinyl:

Kansas - s/t
    Beach Boys - Holland. Included the 7" 33 1/3. Aside from Sail On Sailor this pretty much sucked.
    David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name
    Green On Red - No Free Lunch. I thought I would give this another try. Still didn't make it for me.
    Chris Isaak - Wicked Game 12" 45 ep. Has only four songs. Or is it three?. I can't remember. Fairly decent rockabilly stuff though.

CD:

Los Lobos - The Ride
    Gov't Mule - Live At The Roseland Ballroom
    Neil Young - Hawks and Doves
    Kansas - Masque
    Steely Dan - Aja
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
    Earth Wind and Fire - Greatest Hits. The 1998 release.
    Carbon Leaf - Meander

Return To Forever - s/t and Light As A Feather and Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy and Where Have I Known You Before and Romantic Warrior.

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool and Bag's Groove and Walkin' and Filles de Kilimanjaro and Agharta

Jethro Tull - Rock Island and Catfish Rising and the Stormwatch remaster.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

UK Parlophone no doubt.
    Yeah right! Don't I wish! Just a run-of-the-mill recent remaster, not sure of the details, but it still sounds pretty good, besides it's the music that counts, right?

Thanks for the word on P.J. The album seems to be getting pretty tepid reviews, at least the few I've come across. Wait a minute...just checked Metacritic and its got an 83 score, which is a lot higher that it was (low 70s I think) last time I checked. Things are looking up for young Polly. I assume you're planning on getting it. Lemme know what you think when you do

I see you listened to Chairs Missing...you're taste is improving!

Quote Originally Posted by Toady
    the Constantines album i picked up a few days before seeing them open for someone... and i can't even remember who now. anyway, they are FABULOUS live. the album is very good. there are a few tracks that jumped out and grabbed me right away, and now that i've had it for a while i enjoy all of it.

Know By Heart is an amazing record. they may sound like Deathcab because Ben Gibbard sang one of the songs you heard? hehe. he's on one track. they're sort of a cross between Califone and Deathcab for me. another wonderful live band. i've seen them twice. once headlining a show with The Album Leaf supporting, and once as main support for Pinback. do i need to talk about how great those nights were?

also, they discovered Explosions in the Sky. i think allmusic.com may have that story on the EITS bio.

which reminds me... does anyone know which track(s) on Know By Heart feature Munaf Rayani (of EITS)?

todd

EDIT: the Explosions in the Sky story from allmusic.com:
    Thanks. Two more to add to my ever-growing wishlist. Why is it no matter how many albums I buy the list never gets smaller?

I don't recall the names of the songs offhand but I know they were from the above mentioned albums (some were on comps, the others happened to be playing the last couple of times I wandered into my favorite local indie store).

NP: Chisel - Set You Free (because Ex-Lion Tamer's comp reminded me I haven't listened to this in ages --- good stuff and better than the Ted Leo solo/Pharmacists albums IMO)

I got a small stack of new discs to listen to:

KVLR aka. Kevlar (I guess). Indie rock band out of Sveden. Has some mighty fine moments that would surely make the grade of even the hippest of the indiehipsterelitistsnobs sulking around.

Procol Harum-The Well's On Fire. Seen the name bandied about from time to time and to the best of my knowledge never heard them until I got this from the library. Need a couple of more spins but I don't think this is the music for me.

Paul Oakenfold-Oslo. Very, very trancy. (well duh! what did I expect? sheesh.) Not really digging this to much either. *sigh*

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

42 Regular
    A bunch of the same ol' same ol'. One notable exception: David Bowie's Heathens disc. My next door neighbor burned one for me, and I liked it better than I had expected. No killer track, but lots of interesting sounds. Hangs together pretty well as an album. Sounds better at night, for some reason.

It was one of those strange conversations like what JC was talking about last week. This neighbor was talking about how much he likes this recent Bowie album, and I say, "Yeah, I kinda lost interest in him after the 70s." And he looks at me like I have two heads. Come to find out, he was unaware of David Bowie having a career prior to "Let's Dance." This is a 38-year-old suburban white guy I'm talking about. Very odd.

So we start talking some more about music, and he's talking about Cake, Big Head Todd, and a few other things...so I bring up Wilco. He's never heard of them. Again, this is the Chicago suburbs we're talking about here. He has no clue who I'm talking about. The very next day, there's a 5-column-wide photo of them on the front page of the Tribune's Arts section.

So now I don't know whether to burn him an Alladin Sane disc, or a Wilco sampler. I guess I better do both.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information