Thread: The Mars Volta

The Mars Volta

So, what's the fuss about?

Kind of sounds like Robert Plant meets Freddy Mercury meets Radiohead meets LSD at an improv session in an old movie theatre at the end of the universe.

Yeah, I've only given the new album one and a half listens, and there is some stuff that appeals to the radiohead fan in me, but overall, the pretention is bigger than the artistic talent.

The one thing it isn't is prog, so I'm not sure why I've seen these guys are lumped into that basket lately. HMV had a prog display featuring Yes and The Mars Volta.

I'm glad to see that experimental music of this type is gaining interest (again, because there was Radiohead and Spiritualized and The Flaming Lips, and...) , because it's clearing the path away from mainstream pablum.

That's r&r for ya.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this.. but they're just too much for me.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I never thought I'd hear myself say this.. but they're just too much for me.

-jar
    Too much, not enough. 6 of one...

Just had my first taste, that ought to hold me.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I was going to "expand my horizons" and give this album a shot. But I heard just two awful cuts on a local show called "Regie's Coffee House" where new artists/albums are featured. I deemed my money would be better spent elsewhere. So I bought two Jesse Sykes albums instead. Definitely a wise decision, as these two albums (Reckless Burning and Oh My Girl) are incredible.

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Red face Thank god...

Thank god, Barry, it's not Prog -- since I don't, generally, like most Prog.....but I do love the Mars V.

Open your minds, guys & gals.......... this is some of the most creative rock'n'roll I've heard in a very, very long time.

Give it a few more spins. If you'll recall, the same diss - miss - all was applied to Radiohead when they began to experiment, but with more spins came familiarity which bred a response of "hey, I like this the more I listen to it."

I know I'm not going to change Barry's mind, or anyone else's for that matter.

Just give the disc a fair foursome of spins.

Cheers,
    Bill

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I love Mars Volta, both albums and the EP, and as harsh as I am with the definition of prog, I definitely consider them prog. Yeah, they don't have the odd time signatures, but they make up for that in changes.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I'm still listening

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    this is some of the most creative rock'n'roll I've heard in a very, very long time.

Give it a few more spins.

Cheers,
    Bill
    I'm still listening Bill. I didn't actually say I didn't like it. But I've been seeing this name show up in the same category as prog, and said in ways that implied this was a good thing (is prog getting a good name?). I know that isn't the band's doing. They are certainly more like Radiohead or The Tea Party than they are anything prog.

It is certainly an acquired taste, and good for them for following their muse and not trying to be another mainstream clone.

Could they be this decade's Led Zeppelin? Nope. More like a cross between Radiohead and Spiritualized.

Not Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I love Mars Volta, both albums and the EP, and as harsh as I am with the definition of prog, I definitely consider them prog. Yeah, they don't have the odd time signatures, but they make up for that in changes.
    I'd colour them psychedelic, as I would The Flaming Lips or early Mercury Rev. Not prog in my opinion.

The one thing that is obvious is that you can't like Mars Volta and criticize prog as being self-indulgent. This new album is about as avant-garde and self-indulgent as you can get!

Man, imagine how many more drug overdose deaths there would have been if the hippies had got hold of this. The Mars Volta at Woodstock in 1969 would have been like Jonestown! On the eve of destruction, for sure, and nowhere near back to the garden! LOL

Both....

Hey, Barry.

Both of your descriptions on you last two posts are quite apt.

I love your "what if " they played '69 Woodstock -- what a trip that would have been. It wouldn't have been pretty.

LOL out to ya,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I'd colour them psychedelic, as I would The Flaming Lips or early Mercury Rev. Not prog in my opinion.

The one thing that is obvious is that you can't like Mars Volta and criticize prog as being self-indulgent. This new album is about as avant-garde and self-indulgent as you can get!

Man, imagine how many more drug overdose deaths there would have been if the hippies had got hold of this. The Mars Volta at Woodstock in 1969 would have been like Jonestown! On the eve of destruction, for sure, and nowhere near back to the garden! LOL

See You Soon...

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    I love your "what if " they played '69 Woodstock -- what a trip that would have been. It wouldn't have been pretty.

LOL out to ya,

Bill

Hopefully we'll be able to get together sometime before the summer's out. But I'll leave that to FA to arrange.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Hopefully we'll be able to get together sometime before the summer's out. But I'll leave that to FA to arrange.
    I'm trying...I'm trying.

Thread Information