IQ: Dark Matter// a review

This is my first venture into IQ, another neo-prog band from the '80s of all places. I got this at Amazon after reading good things about it. Well...I have to say that the first and last songs on this disc are very good right from the get-go. The third track, 'You Never Will', is pretty good too, but the tracks 'Red Dust Shadow' and 'Born Brilliant' seem a little contrived, and just aren't as interesting as the rest of the album. Surprisingly, the two best songs on the album are the longest; 'Sacred Sound' and 'Harvest Of Souls' clock in at 11:40 and 24:29 (respectively) and are the most prog-like. They sound like a mixture of '80s Marillion and late '70s Camel; only with a heavy choral-like keyboard flourish that washes over at times. These guys have no problem with long epics, mixing different movements ranging from etherial to heavy to whimsical, without sounding clumsy or over-rought like alot of neo-prog bands can sound sometimes. I have read that there is a big Gabriel era Genesis influence. Maybe so, musically speaking, but it isn't as derrivative of that sound like Spock's Beard is/was (and the lead vocalist isn't as enamoured with the sound of his own voice like Gabriel was at the time). I don't know anyone at this site that would own this that doesn't already, so I don't know if I'd recommend to anyone but a proghead, but I like this album way better than The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which I've owned and listened to for a few months now (and I don't find I like it as much as some of you do). But I think Dark Matter is a keeper and may sway me to look at the rest of this band's canon.
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 08-11-2004 at 05:31 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Actually, I don't have it yet (sorry!), so thanks for the review...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Way better than "The Lamb"? Sacrilege!!

I love IQ but for some reason I've been having a hard time getting into this one and "The Seventh House" their previous CD. It seems the lyrics are becoming increasingly verbose and that there's less of the instrumental interplay between Holmes and Orford, which is the thing that drew me to IQ in the first place.

Actually, Sacred Sound is an excellent track and by far my favorite from DM. I don't care much for the epic. It doesn't hold together as well as *ahem* "Supper's Ready" to my mind and that piece of music really seems to be the inspiration here, which is ironic since IQ have been trying quite successfully to steer themselves away from the Genesis clone tag.

My faves are "Subterannea", "Ever" and "The Wake", with "Tales from the Lush Attic" not too far behind. Oh and the live DVD of Subterannea is PHENOMENAL!

Forum Regular
    I have decided that I like Seventh House a little more that Dark Matter, but I still like Dark Matter a lot, and it is different and still even more new music form them so I like it!

But ya Subterenea and Ever are killer, too. And so is Seven stories into 98.

Dave

If you like IQ, then...

This album sounds good, but I really am not thrilled with the last song, as I've stated here before. But I do like the band.

If you like this, then you'll love The Seventh House, their previous album. I think it's much stronger. Subterannea is their classic. I love side one.

BUt if you like IQ, then take a chance on Pendragon's The Masquarade Overture. You'll really like it. Similar neo-prog sound with lots of keyboard washes and nasally vocals.
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

Forum Regular
    Good call, BarryL.

Pendragon is also killer progstuff.

As is Clepsydra, Arena, Collage, Satellite, Galahad, and Citizen Cain and Nektar and Triumvirat and Uriah Heep.

Dave

Forum Regular

good line-up

These guys are correct..........IQ provides a good line-up of music.

My favorites -- in order:

1) Seventh House
    2) Subterranea
    3) Dark Matter
    4) Ever

I also agree with Barry that "Harvest of Souls", although interesting at times, is a bit forced together..................I'm not sure I appreciate the message either.

I suspect, IMHO, they will never do an album that will top Seventh House.

Forum Regular
    Ya'll need to find Clepsydra - Alone.

It's frikking hot. Not way heavy on synth like IQ but way killer neoprog nevertheless.

And I'll say it again the Pallas dvd is one hot momma. Muy excelente.

Dave

Thread Information