• 05-24-2007, 11:16 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I'm seeing Luke Doucet tonight!
    Luke has become one of my favourite singers. For those that don't remember, he tied Andrew Bird for my top CD of 2005. He is testing out some new songs on this tour and I can't wait to hear them.

We're seeing him at a nice little folk club in the west end. If you have dinner there you get a better seat. I was one of the first people to make reservations for this show so we should have one of the best seats in the house. I asked for something close to the stage so that I could see him play his guitar.

I've been wanting to see him live for a couple of years now, but have always had to miss him when he's been in town. I'm very excited to see him tonight!
  • 05-24-2007, 02:43 PM
    opt80
    Enjoy the concert,FA!!!

Alan:5:
  • 05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
    Swish
    I'm seeing double tonight!
    Shouldn't have had that sixth Troegs Pale Ale.

G Swish
  • 05-25-2007, 01:31 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Man, what a show! I expected it to be great. But it was even better than great! Luke is a fantastic guitar player. There's some great playing on his CDs, but I didn't know if it was him playing or a band member or studio musician. It was him. And he's even better live where he's free to embellish. Wow!

He started off by letting us know that "we're gonna play some songs that we don't know so well". Then he held up a glass of whiskey and said, "then I'm gonna drink this. Then we're gonna play some songs we know really well". He proceeded to play a set of new songs to get the crowd's reaction and see what should be on his next album and what shouldn't be. For songs that they didn't know well, they were pretty darn tight. All the songs were really good, some better than others. Then he drank his whiskey and went into a second set of familiar songs.

One of his guitar players was his wife, Melissa McClelland. I recognized the name as the backup vocalist on his CDs but didn't know that she was his wife. She performed a couple of songs where he did backup, and her voice was beautiful. I ended up buying her CD at the end of the night.

But the real treat of the evening was the opening act. A young woman named Rose Cousins. Rose, she told us, grew up on a potato farm in PEI. And she looked it. But when she opened her mouth and sang, her voice just blew us away. What an incredibly talented woman. She sang and played guitar for about 40 minutes and before each song told the story of what inspired her to write it. She was fantasic and, if I wasn't so excited to see Luke, I could have listened to her sing all night.

I picked up her CD at the show also. On the CD she plays with a full band. If I had to equate her music to anyone, I would say that if you're a Hem fan, you really need to check this out. It's the same kind of rootsy, organic, folk. Very unpretentious. And the production quality is top notch. The CD is called If You Were For Me. You can hear a few tracks at her My Space page.
  • 05-25-2007, 05:52 PM
    opt80
    Sounds like a great show.Rose is a big hit on PEI. We have some incredible talent here.Sometime,FA,check out Catherine Maclellan(daughter of Gene"Put Your Hand In The Hand"Maclellan.She is an incredible songwriter,genetics I imagine.

Alan