Thread: Another list

Another list

So I'm watching one of these List shows on Much Music (Canadian MTV) that I assume was picke'd up from VH1...20 Greatest Female Rockers, featuring such luminaries as Lee Aaron (#20)among the top 20 were...

Siouxsie Sioux
    Lita Ford
    Patti Smith
    Heart (Ann and Nancy)
    Chrissie Hynde
    Joan Jett
    Tina Turner (#1)
    Stevie Nicks
    the other Rumaway, what's her name.......Lita Ford
    Melissa Ethridge
    Grace Slick
    The Go-Gos
    Patti Smith
    Pat Banetar
    Courtney Love
    Janis Joplin
    Avril Lavigne

and one other that I'm forgetting. There were some big omissions, the biggest: PJ Harvey. I was surprised The Bangles weren't included, nor The Slits. I was surprised there wasn't any Riot Grrl representation, (Kathleen Hanna) and kinda shocked that Alanis Morrissette didn't make it, considering the source. Any body else should have made the grade?
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Hi Maf!

Patti Smith - so nice they named her twice, eh?

I'd add Darby Mills of the Headpins!

And speaking of Joan Jett, I heard on DNTO this aft that she's released a new album and they played an excellent cover of the Sweet's AC/DC! She rocks!

Yeah, that is kind of a predictable list, except where'd Avril Lavigne come from? Sad state when she's considered the modern representative of lady rockers. What about Shirley Mansun or PJ or a hundred others? Guess they haven't sold enough to have the name recognition.

BTW, that other Patti Smith on your list is probably Patty Smyth, aka John McEnroe's wife, eh? She's probably sold far more records than the early one too. And I guess having Patti on the list kind of covers PJ Harvey too, since she's a bit like the 90s incarnation. Polly did the Hay-on-Wye literary festival last month in Wales with mainly her piano and guitar, and I guess it was a pretty amazing evening. Saw some great pictures and heard some of it since it was floating around the net in various resolutions, including a great sounding yousendit wav file.

Hey Mark, was watching the latest episode of that TV show Rescue Me, and they closed it wih one of your favorites that led off your 80s cassette comp, "Wild Blue Yonder" from the Screaming Blue Messiahs. Cool tune. Don't often watch that show but it is pretty good. From checking around, they must be bigfans of Greg Dulli since they have featured multiple songs from him and the Afghan Whigs and the Twilight Singers.

music fanatic
    Kim Gordon!

Hey, LionTamer.

Sarah McLachlan is one that I expected to see on the list. What...with being Canadian and all, as well as starting the Lilith Fairs. Go figure. Maybe too folkie for their list??

Cheers,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hey Mark, was watching the latest episode of that TV show Rescue Me, and they closed it wih one of your favorites that led off your 80s cassette comp, "Wild Blue Yonder" from the Screaming Blue Messiahs. Cool tune. Don't often watch that show but it is pretty good.
    Now that's cool. I've never seen the show, but I do like Dennis Leary a lot. You still have that cassette comp?

It's amazing the music you'll hear on TV these days, lasturday A.M. my kids are watching Scooby Doo, The Disney Channel, and Built to Spill comes on. Wild, wild stuff!

I forgot that Liz Phair, made the list too, so I guess I'm still missing one what with the double dip on Patti Smith....just remembered; Pink.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I would ha' thought Kate Bush would make the grade.

And how about local RR favourite Annie Haslam (Renaissance)?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information