Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769

    I'm just...ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

    Listening to some Pink Floyd DSOTM on a lazy Sunday with the house to myself.

    What's on your Sunday morning playlist this morning?

  2. #2
    It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    150
    Got a wild hair and interrupted my planned playlist to wake up the neighborhood.

    Burning for Buddy: A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich, running full tilt - really gets your blood flowin' on a Sunday morning!

    Down Beat (11/94, p.42) - 4 Stars - Very Good - "...Rich regularly performed most of these tunes and arrangements. Now, even with a different drummer on each track, the spirit of his brash, fiery style dominates the album...Hearing some of the rockers play straight-ahead jazz is the biggest revelation..." Jazziz (2/95, p.93) - "...completely unleashed...assembly of today's trap set monsters....inspired, stellar performances...

    -dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

  3. #3
    If you can't run-walk. Bernd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,602
    Grey Sunday Afternoon and controlled hair over here.

    Being entertained from the round spot by:

    "Bobby Charles - Last Train to Memphis"

    followed by

    "Tab Benoit - Fever on the Bayou"

    let there by tunes

    Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

  4. #4
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Mason had a confirmation deal that required he visit a budhist temple today so Trevor and I decided to stay home and chill. He's got some Spongebob action going on and I'm playing the Stars album, Set Yourself On Fire, yet again. First off was a bit of Lali Puna's Faking The Books which really set the tone for this bright and sunny Sunday.

    Not really sure where this winding day is going to take me. Got to probably do something constructive so maybe I'll grab the portable and the grados and go clean the garage. Maybe I'll dig out some of those old Rainmaker CD's that Bernd has been listening to the past couple of weeks? I think Tornado will be the first up.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  5. #5
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,916


    Laika Sounds of the Satellites. Mid 90s electro-organic wonderfulness that others are only now catching up to. Spastic, frenetic, playful, melodic and groovy all at the same time. What a combo. Essential, but seems little known outside of music geek circles like this. Close to my favorite of the 90s.

  6. #6
    If you can't run-walk. Bernd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Mason had a confirmation deal that required he visit a budhist temple today so Trevor and I decided to stay home and chill. He's got some Spongebob action going on and I'm playing the Stars album, Set Yourself On Fire, yet again. First off was a bit of Lali Puna's Faking The Books which really set the tone for this bright and sunny Sunday.

    Not really sure where this winding day is going to take me. Got to probably do something constructive so maybe I'll grab the portable and the grados and go clean the garage. Maybe I'll dig out some of those old Rainmaker CD's that Bernd has been listening to the past couple of weeks? I think Tornado will be the first up.

    jc
    Good choice "Tornado". My favourite is "Skin", however I like them all. Have you heard Bob's solo effort?

    Peace

    Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

  7. #7
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Good choice "Tornado". My favourite is "Skin", however I like them all. Have you heard Bob's solo effort?

    Peace

    Bernd
    Bernd, I'm a Kansas City boy, I've heard them all. Started for me back in about 1984 with Steve, Bob, and Rich playing around KC and Lawrence, KS where I was a student. I've got vinyl, cassettes, boots, demos and of course a CD or 2. Even see Bob occasionally cruising around town on his Vespa.

    I've also read that you're a big Stan Ridgway fan. Troy and I are also Ridgway fans from way back in the day. Troy actually trumps me big time actually knowing Stan and working with him. Stan did the introduction to Troy's big time book deal and Stan bought some of Troy's photo's for album covers. Holiday In Dirt is Troy's photography all the way.

    Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  8. #8
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave918
    Burning for Buddy: A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich, running full tilt - really gets your blood flowin' on a Sunday morning!
    My husband loves that disk! Have you heard Volume 2? We haven't and I'm wondering if it's any good.

  9. #9
    It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    My husband loves that disk! Have you heard Volume 2? We haven't and I'm wondering if it's any good.

    No I haven't listened to Vol 2, but I've been meaning to order it for some time now. Guess it's time

    CD Universe has it for $9.75. Sounds like a deal to me...sold!

    -dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

  10. #10
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    There's only so much wine you can drink...

    ...in one night, and I proved it last night. Had a great time anyway, and I had lots of good tunes in the CD changer. Willard Grant - Regard the End, Cat Power - Moon Pics, Loose Fur (thanks again Slosh), British Sea Power - Open Season, and.I can't remember what else.

    To make a long story short, I'm not listening to any music today, at least not yet. We were up until about 3 AM, so I'm still in recovery mode.

    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  11. #11
    Toon Robber tentoze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Florida Piney Woods
    Posts
    975
    Ima soul-surfing (and soul-clapping) this AM: Sam Cooke~ Portrait of a Legend
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

  12. #12
    It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    150
    Sticking with Jazz this afternoon:

    Erin Bode ~ Over and Over

    George Kahn ~ Midnight Brew

    Madeleine Peyroux ~ Careless Love


    -dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

  13. #13
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,221
    Just relaxing with a bit of Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway in the background.

    No music last night. Just good conversation with old friends, some excellent scallop/shrimp fra diavlo, and lots and lots of Bass ale.

    Yep, it's the simple things in life that matter most.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  14. #14
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave918
    Madeleine Peyroux ~ Careless Love[/b]
    I really like that disk. It being Monday, I'm sorta thread carpin', but: Can, Future Days.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  15. #15
    If you can't run-walk. Bernd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Bernd, I'm a Kansas City boy, I've heard them all. Started for me back in about 1984 with Steve, Bob, and Rich playing around KC and Lawrence, KS where I was a student. I've got vinyl, cassettes, boots, demos and of course a CD or 2. Even see Bob occasionally cruising around town on his Vespa.

    I've also read that you're a big Stan Ridgway fan. Troy and I are also Ridgway fans from way back in the day. Troy actually trumps me big time actually knowing Stan and working with him. Stan did the introduction to Troy's big time book deal and Stan bought some of Troy's photo's for album covers. Holiday In Dirt is Troy's photography all the way.

    Regards,
    jc
    Hi,
    That's brilliant. I came across the Rainmakers when they toured over here in support of their Debut album. They played in a very small club, and took the roof off. I met the band afterwards. And when they toured again a couple of years later, Bob remembered and had my name on the Guest list. I just love his song writing and I dearly would love to hear him play his solo stuff in Kansas City. I believe he does play once a week. Is that right?
    As for Stan. I came across Wall of Voodoo at the US83 festival and have been captivated ever since. The man is exeptional. As I also like Photograpy I do have a copy of Troy's book and love his use of colour and night time light.It has been an inspiration to me.

    Peace

    Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 03-26-2006 at 11:56 PM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

  16. #16
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    852

    It's now Monday, but

    yesterday i listened to some new sacds.

    Steely Dan - Gaucho (excellent sound)
    Clapton - Slowhand
    Clapton - 461 Ocean blvd.
    Stevie Ray - Texas Flood
    Peter Gabriel - Up

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Listening to some Pink Floyd DSOTM on a lazy Sunday with the house to myself.

    What's on your Sunday morning playlist this morning?

  17. #17
    Close 'n PlayŽ user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks Bernd and Jimmy.

    I was watching the races yesterday and was doing Garageband music a few hours.

  18. #18
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Thanks Bernd and Jimmy.

    I was watching the races yesterday and was doing Garageband music a few hours.
    On the third book run yet?

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  19. #19
    It's all about the music! Dave918's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anywhere but here
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    My husband loves that disk! Have you heard Volume 2? We haven't and I'm wondering if it's any good.
    Hey FA, Burning for Buddy Vol II arrived today. If your husband loved Vol. 1, he will flip for Vol. 2. Neil and company really did Buddy proud!

    -dave
    "Wrong is right." ~ Thelonius Monk

  20. #20
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave918
    Hey FA, Burning for Buddy Vol II arrived today. If your husband loved Vol. 1, he will flip for Vol. 2. Neil and company really did Buddy proud!

    -dave
    Good to hear. Thanks for letting me know Dave! I know it's still a long way away, but I'll put it on the Christmas list for him (his birthday's already passed this year too).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •