5 things I never get bored of...

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Lou Reed - Magic & Loss
    Manu Chao - Proxima Estacion: Esperanza
    Chopin: Nocturnes, Daniel Barenboim

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I never get bored of...Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
    Back during Circuit City's Holiday $9.99 sale, I picked up the Legacy reissue and it smokes!

You know, that inspires me to whip it out (the CD) and put it on.

I convinced more and more that 1959 was the apex of modern Jazz's greatest era, what with Miles Davis' Kinda Blue and Dave Brubeck's Time Out, and Mingus Ah Um coming out in the same year.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    yeah the reissue is great. I really enjoy the bonus tracks too. I'm not aged enough to know what 1959 would've been like, but I have not doubt it would have been an exciting year for the jazz nut. Ah Um blew my mind in 1987, almost 30 years after it first came out. That's legs. I'm hoping 2010's will be another rebirth of some form of jazz...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    New Order - Substance 1987 (something to dance to)
    U2 - Joshua Tree (something to sing to)
    Arcade Fire - Funeral (something to wake up to before fishing and harvesting coconuts)
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (something to be nostalgic with)
    Erasure - I say I say I say (something to end the day with)

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Just trying to wake the dead.
    Good luck with that one! haha.

Can I get a decent hifi system? Or do I have to crank it? Regardless . . The Pretenders first (but I'm sneakin in Patti Smith); John Coltrane Live at The Village Vanguard (but I'm sneakin in Chick Corea's Three Quartets); After Bathing at Baxter's by Jefferson Airplane (but I'm sneakin in a little blues); and some Ravel, Debussy, and Chopin piano recitals (and I'm sneakin in a little Satie. for irony).
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

I was once stranded in the dessert aisle. Good thing I have a fast metabolism.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Our resident comedian strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I was once stranded in the dessert aisle. Good thing I have a fast metabolism.
    Master of the homonym. Well done.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I'm going to be a bit greedy and say....

1) Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (3LP set)---NP
    2) YES - YESSONGS (3LP set) Sounds like Sh*t but why not. It might just become a teaser...
    3) Miles Davis - 12 Sides of Miles (6 LP set) I think Sketches of Spain is the most over rated album of all times, but others arent too bad.
    4) Billie Holiday - The Golden Years Vol.2 (3LP set)
    5) Nina Simone - To Love Somebody (1 glorious LP)

Good thread, but I'm starting think I shoulda crammed that 80G Ipod up my ass!!
    Wait, how long do I have before I get rescued......?

JRA

Forum Regular
    1. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (the true greatest release of the 80's)
    2. The Chameleon: Script of the Bridge
    3. Echo and the Bunneymen: Ocean Rain
    4. Simple Minds: New Gold Dream
    5. The Stranglers: Feline

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I'm going to be a bit greedy and say....

1) Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (3LP set)---NP
    2) YES - YESSONGS (3LP set) Sounds like Sh*t but why not. It might just become a teaser...
    3) Miles Davis - 12 Sides of Miles (6 LP set) I think Sketches of Spain is the most over rated album of all times, but others arent too bad.
    4) Billie Holiday - The Golden Years Vol.2 (3LP set)
    5) Nina Simone - To Love Somebody (1 glorious LP)

Good thread, but I'm starting think I shoulda crammed that 80G Ipod up my ass!!
    Wait, how long do I have before I get rescued......?

JRA

Good call on the Stevie Wonder.

Good call on more than that. I can see, jrhyme, you like "feeling singers" . . a term I picked up in the liner notes of some old school Cuban music (so shoot me for saying that). Billie and Nina Simone are an acquired taste for the now generation. I hear ya.

If I can piggy back here, I would include Neil Young's Greatest Hits, the remastered 180 gram album. Cowgirl In The Sand and Down By The River back to back. That's 25 minutes of bliss. I love the way he stretches out. Unique to rock players. That makes five (plus what I could smuggle).
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Songs in the Key of Life...

I actually have been listening to this a lot lately and every-time I hear "Pastime Paradise" I think about how pathetically uninspired that rip-off version by Coolio "Gangsta's Paradise" is and then I nearly fall into a coma when I have to think about the disaster of a film DANGEROUS MINDS was/is. Best part of that song was Weird Al's bashing parody.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Best part of that song was Weird Al's bashing parody.
    No, the best part was Coolio getting all self righteous about Weird Al's version, "I don't think he should've done it, it's too serious of a song." But the problem with Weird Al doing a parody is that he is doing a parody of what is essentially a parody.

Jeez Louise, there are alot of snooze fest records on this list. j/k Here are mine that I'm fairly confident no one else would select as desert island records. These records are about fun. Gotta have fun if I'm on a desert island.

The Donnas - The Donnas Turn 21: I know all the words, I know some of the drum parts, and I never get tired of this record. Plus, the drummer and guitar player are both in my top 5 favorites on each instrument.

Chixdiggit! - Scene to Shining Scene - Again, I know all the words, I know some of the drum parts, and I never get tired of this record. Plus, some of the best lyrics ever that accurately and truely capture the feeling of teenage and early twenties love.

Mustard Plug - Evildoers Beware! - Ska is Dead. What more is there to say.

Social D - Social D - I am who I am because of Social D records. Every note of this record is classic.

Finally, a live record called - Zydeco Shootout at El-Sid-O's

Zydeco is the greatest roots music of all-time. I couldn't find any videos of Lynn August, or Pee Wee, or Zydeco Force, but here is a video that is a good exhibit of why you have to have a good Zydeco record on your island with you. A teenage brother and sister in their kitchen. Classic. Wait for the band to rock it up 30 secs in.
    [IMG][/IMG]

See ya'll under the coconut tree.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I actually have been listening to this a lot lately and every-time I hear "Pastime Paradise" I think about how pathetically uninspired that rip-off version by Coolio "Gangsta's Paradise" is and then I nearly fall into a coma when I have to think about the disaster of a film DANGEROUS MINDS was/is. Best part of that song was Weird Al's bashing parody.
    I tell you what's worst than that.

"I Wish" was raped by Will Smith from one of the songs of Wild Wild West soundtrack..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information